Anyone in or near 40's?

Options

Replies

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    40. Wow. My daughter is 41 my son is 45. I am 70. I remember my 40s . They were good years but actually i look better and most dsys feel better than 40. I have time for me and do more things for me since my kids are grown. 40. I am almost twice that. You young people keep up the mfp logging and exercise. You are on a great plan.

^^^I love this, thanks for taking the time to post :-)
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    It's really a bit of a myth that its' harder when you get older. The reason it's normally harder is due to years of inactivity. Your metabolism does slow down but in reality not a significant amount (around 100 calories every 10 years) . I'm 45 and have had no problems losing or exercising. Feel free to add me if you wish

Studies are proving exercise is nothing to do with weightloss, that the majority of weight problems in older people is hormonal., meaning, ghrelin etc, these hormones are being affected by the foods we eat and food manufacturers exploit this as they know certain additives will create cravings, the body then does not turn off the hunger signal, the body works overtime and has only one option, to store it as fat for use later.

Unfortunately the body is designed for fat storage for famine, not weight loss, so in order to maintain weightloss needs plenty of swapping and changing things to prevent the body from slowing the metabolism to equal the food intake.

Also it is being found out that the age at which women give birth also has an impact on weight, but if we worried about all this we would lose our battle, so maybe a little read of the BMJ with a black coffee, before hitting the gym is the key, motivation is the main key to winning the battle.

Just remember, the medical profession know more about obesity, the hormones related to it now than they did 20 years ago and each day they are learning more.

there's so much I could say what I think about this, but I'll just say I disagree with it all, strongly.

I'm 54 & have lost 3 stone, or 42lb, or 20kg since starting on here on Jan 4th.

all done nice & steady with a sensible caloric deficit, generally eating cleaner & doing a bit of exercise. It ain't complicated.
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oh and i forgot to mention that anyone can feel free to add me. I'm aiming to log everyday (I haven't been) and to stick as much as i can to my calorie allowance. I have upped it from the recommended limit as 1,200 didn't seem to be enough to feed a sparrow!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    im ALMOST half way to 90.... yet i feel like im in my 30s!!!!
  • Laura_Jean76
    Laura_Jean76 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    37 turning 38 on the 2nd
    CW 200
    GW 120
    Looking for new friends
  • Fatstuff101
    Options
    I'm 44. I now feel awful sluggish and heavy and Xmas pigging out only fuelled all that...... but thats all gonna change!! This year I aim to be lighter, free-er, happier, healthier, more positive and ACHIEVE!!! Now thats a mission statement!
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After turning 42, I finally had enough of being overweight. I have been going to the gym 5 times a week since September and lost steadily throughout. I have been cooking meals from scratch, reduced carbs but still enjoy the odd treat and tipple. My husband has reached his goal weight and is hooked on running. I have still a way to go but aiming to look and feel fab this summer!
  • BazingaSC
    Options
    I am almost there too!!37! Already been through menopause early in life! Once you hit this age your body starts to play with you! Menopause causes a loss of estrogen and because estrogen is also made by our fat cells, our bodies produce more fat cells to help balance of the loss of estrogen. In addition, progesterone levels also slow and can contribute to bloating and water weight gain. This doesn't mean we are all doomed but you have to listen to how your body reacts to foods a little more then in our 20's!
    I know I weigh due to my calorie intake, so this app helps so much! Make sure you measure the food! I have eyeballed what I thought was 1/2 cup and was actually 1 cup and it all adds up! You can do it! I have had enough and am ready to focus on loosing now. It can be done I am in!!
  • Tesh25
    Tesh25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 40 and I know exactly what you are saying. Feel free to add me and we can motivate and inspire each other.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in Oct. I feel fine but I hurt myself in the gym more often I just cannot lift as heavy
  • tulani911
    tulani911 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone....today is the first day of the new me. I'm 42 and I've found it very hard to get the lbs off due to stress and lack of motivation. Starting today I'm going to take back control of my body and I'm inviting everyone to join me on this journey....:happy:
  • starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options

Also it is being found out that the age at which women give birth also has an impact on weight

Meaning what? The younger you are when you gave birth....what? The older you are when you gave birth....what? I'd like to hear more about this "study found."
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and i sure as hell don't feel my age. Even though i could be in better shape, I have more knowledge about health and fitness than i did in my 20's and 30's, and overall I feel better.
  • Naturely
    Naturely Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just turned 46 and loving it! Picked up skiing, backpacking and kayaking after my 40th. The struggle continues but life just keeps getting better.
  • Annieshorty18
    Annieshorty18 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just turned 55 a week ago and I feel just like you. But I also got on the bandwagaon and there will be no stopping me. (::flowerforyou:
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am turning 39 next month and am re-starting with MFP. I've lost quite a bit of weight using the app/site so far and look forward to reaching my goal in 2014 once and for all. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Camo_Man
    Camo_Man Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me anyone for support and misery (as it loves company) :O) Would love to have some new friends and to support you on your journey.

Mike
  • westmor
    westmor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and feeling fit and great now. After a lifetime of exercise and fitness I gained weight after 2 knee surgeries, but back to fitness now. You are right your body does change a bit as you get older, but you can totally still be gorgeous in your 40's! Happy to join you for a bit of moral support if you would like to add me. x
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 years old and have been here for a little over a year. Staying active is a bit more challenging as I get older due to increasing aches and pains, but it's worth it. Feel free to add me if desired.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and today forced myself to take photos of how I REALLY look (not how I hope I look when I glance through squinted eyes in a narrow mirror). My body and my back aches, I can't fit into my clothes and I've been feeling terrible. But not any more, it changes today!

I'm also looking for friends so feel free to add. :)