How early do you get up for AM workouts?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to work out later at night and sleep in, but it's hard to settle down to sleep afterwards.
    Unfortunately when I did this the workday didn't go well.
    I'm not an early morning person at all - or can you learn to be?
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OMG, you guys are insane (insanely awesome)
    I don't think there are gyms open that early where I live (I'm from Barcelona, Spain) most of them open at 6:30am. but we usually start the work day at 9am.

I wake up at 7 am to workout.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I would prefer to work out later at night and sleep in, but it's hard to settle down to sleep afterwards.

Yes!! You can totally learn to be, it just takes time. The best thing I could suggest would be to take all thought process out of mornings. Have everything ready to go the night before and just force yourself to act on autopilot. Eventually it will become habit and you won't have to force yourself anymore. Also when your alarm goes off, get out of bed immediately otherwise it's too easy to talk yourself into staying there.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My morning runs depend on the weather and season. During the winter I am usually out the door by 7AM to get my run in....earlier if it is a long run of 9 miles+. During the summer, I hate running in the heat....so I am out the door by 6 AM ish...again, earlier if it is a longer run.

But during weight lifting days, I sleep in a little bit lol. As I try to avoid the morning crowds.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    my alarm goes off at 4:15 during the week and I am at the gym or out on my running path by 5am. I have to get it in early, my body does not like running later in the day.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am just starting. I am a nurse who works 12-hour day shifts. I guess I will get up around 4:45 at the beginning to do a 35 minute work out. Any suggestions?

I plan on setting my goal starting out at twice a week though nothing is stopping me from doing it more often. And working my way up. How many days a week do you work?
    Is it possible to get your workouts in the days you don't work and something easy for the days you do?
  • keepongoingnmw
    Options
    I though I was tough but after reading this I realize I am a complete wimp lol. I get up at 6 on morning workout days - 3 days a week at the mo .I tend to do 30 minutes resistance or swimming or 45 minutes bike or run. I then get my shoes on at dinnertime and go for a run or a ride for 40 mins. My long workouts are a couple of evenings and Friday afternoon.
    Looks like it's working for you!!!!!
  • keepongoingnmw
    Options

Yes!! You can totally learn to be, it just takes time. The best thing I could suggest would be to take all thought process out of mornings. Have everything ready to go the night before and just force yourself to act on autopilot. Eventually it will become habit and you won't have to force yourself anymore. Also when your alarm goes off, get out of bed immediately otherwise it's too easy to talk yourself into staying there.
    Good to know I am trying to get into the habit of taking a 5:15 am class but can't bring myself to do it. I am motivated from this thread thank you.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    On my 7a-7p shift days I get up at 3:30 am to be at the gym at 5. It gives me time to eat, feed my dogs and drive the 30 min commute. My best advice is just try it and go in with a positive attitude. Instead of saying it's too early or I can't, you just pretty much failed yourself and put limits on what you can do. If you want something you will find a way to make it work.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    im a night owel so my guess is: coffee and amphetamines.............
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    4:00am
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    When I work....5 a.m.

Weekends and holidays....usually after lunch.
  • Cokebear83
    Cokebear83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am Glad to know that I am not really a freak for getting up so early to work out!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Yep, this.
    The less I think, the better :happy:
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am inspired by you all and I am going to set my alarm early tomorrow and make it happen!
    I'm thinking I'll put my alarm across the room, that way I have to get out of bed to turn it off, and then the idea is to not get back into it LOL.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I am inspired by you all and I am going to set my alarm early tomorrow and make it happen!
    I'm thinking I'll put my alarm across the room, that way I have to get out of bed to turn it off, and then the idea is to not get back into it LOL.

You may be able to shut it off with a carefully thrown pillow. If not, and the pillow lands on the alarm clock, it may muffle it enough so you can get back to sleep.

tumblr_inline_msors5iGVa1qz4rgp.gif
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    today? noon.

i didn't get home until 4 :(
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

make it really really hard to get back into bed. lay out your work out clothes. set up the coffee pot.

also, fun motivating ringtones help me. try macklemore - can't hold us or eye of the tiger, or katy perry roar or whatever.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    5:00 a.m. -- it's when my husband gets up, which makes it easier. I'm lucky that I work from home, so I go to the gym first but at least I don't have to "get ready" for work after. I return home and start working by 8:00 - 8:30 a.m. I take a bit of time to feed the dogs, have breakfast, etc.
  • amyfulk
    Options
    I'm prepping for a Figure Competition & work 11 hours a day, 6 days a week...so I get up at 1AM every single morning and do fasted Cardio/Abs & Lift. There's some nights when I only get 5 hours of sleep, but I take a supplement called Somalyze & it's AMAZING! It puts me into REM sleep much faster & is a fat burner--I absolutely love it! I would much rather get my workout in before my long work day because I know afterwards I'll be too tired to find the motivation to go to the gym!(: