Sick Fat & Nearly Dead

Options
13»

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Thanks 4 all of the responses. I guess ill just stick with if its not something im willing to commit to for life then dont do it. And juicing would never be a life commitment so im not going to do it. 300 pounds just seems like forever away.

I've seen that documentary also. I've done juicing, and I love it, although I could never replace all my meals with juice. It takes a while to get used to the taste, so you might want to start with just a few ingredients at first. I've learned that a little ginger and 1/4 of lemon or lime makes the juice taste better. I found that it gave me more energy n made me feel better. I would only juice as a snack, or in place of one meal. I find that it's a bit of a pain to clean the juicer every day, let alone several times/day, plus you have to wash and cut the veggies and fruits to make them small enough to fit in the hole. It may seem like forever to lose 300 lb's, but it may surprise you how fast the time flies by. Just keep doing what you have to do day by day, and don't worry about the end game. Good luck!!!
  • jessigoct17
    jessigoct17 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i really think juice detoxes are not that good for u.. i tried it and after 2 days i had such bad migraines and couldnt focus... if you have over 300 pounds to lose just eat small healthy meals throughout the day and workout

itll take much longer to lose the weight but that is a good thing as u will avoid the loose skin and your metabolism can adjust to your new weight

100 pounds in 60 days is beyond unhealthy.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the other posters. Start as suggested with a reasonable caloric intake and some form of exercise eating real food.

You seem really determined to lose the weight. Use that fantastic attitude to get you through this--one day at a time! If you want to juice though, maybe just one meal a day. Besides, if you lose lots of weight really fast, your skin doesn't have time to shrink. Eventually you'll look like a Chinese wrinkle dog.

Good luck to you!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I watched fat sick and nearly dead last night and it has me wanting to try a 60 day juicing detox. I just know if it tastes disgusting I wont be able to do it. I dont have enough will power to eat nothing plus drink something disgusting. Any thoughts? Anyone seen the movie? Also if I go back to normal calorie counting after the 60 days won't I just gain a bunch of weight back? Only juicing for 60 days will prove to my body thats all it needs and once I start eating again it will go crazy is what im thinking
    Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is basically an infomercial. EVERYONE involved in the project stood to gain financially from the "juicing" being the reason for success, as Joe Cross and the doctor in the movie are partners in the company that made the movie, and the brand of juicer they used is one of their corporate sponsors.

And that is why, no matter the documentary, the viewer needs to remember that they are done to push a very specific view. Some do this in ways that pretty much lie to the viewer by omitting important information that may make their claims look worse.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be much easier and less painful for anyone that has to live with you, to learn how to eat real food, learn about nutrition, portion control, and lose weight in a healthy way?

Agree 100%

At the end of the day this has to be a lifestyle change and you need to teach yourself the things listed above. While I see nothing wrong with juicing to some degree, you still need to have a proper diet. Coming from the chick who has tried EVERYTHING, and a pack of gum to lose weight.

Eating less calories with a healthy diet, exercising, and just sticking out has worked the best for me. And I have yo-yo'd a lot so I get it 100%.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    300 lbs can be overwhelming. Break it down into smaller goals. I read your profile and you said that you have tried numerous diets, don't add juicing to the list of failed attempts. It's just a way to cut calories.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Why don't use just make a commitment to a lifestyle change, eat in a modest caloric deficit, hit your macro's for each day, measure and weigh out your food, log everything, and get some exercise in. Walking to start would be great, this is exactly the approach I took when I start and at 560 lbs, I could not walk from room to room. It took me alittle over 3 years (100 lbs. a year average) but I suffered little, ate well, and created an environment of sustainability for the long term..... Just my two cents..... Best of Luck...

I would listen to Ed, he knows what he's talking about! :drinker:

It seems like a huge, insurmountable task at the moment but you can lose that much! Just eat up to your calorie goal and add in some exercise if you can. I found it easier to set myself mini goals. Just focus on 10 pounds at a time, or aim for certain numbers that have some significance to you. And I cannot stress the importance of patience! But slow and steady and healthfully is the best way to lose the excess weight, not using methods like juicing that are short term and unsustainable.
  • tatiianag13
    tatiianag13 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie and was inspired too. The inspiration was seeing what dramatically changing your diet can do. So be inspired by that! But I am also inspired by the 4'11" powerlifter at the olympics who is 115 lbs of pure muscle. But I'm not an elite athlete who trains daily with a professional and who's livelihood depends on my body and what it can do.

Which is to say--just because someone on TV can do it, doesn't make it a good model for me.

Dramatic changes lead to dramatic results, certainly. But most of us aren't athletes, nor are we making a documentary (and a living) by juicing. We're looking for sustainable changes that can lead to sustainable results. Because, let's face it, almost everyone on MFP has done some drastic diet in the past *that worked!* But we couldn't sustain it. And it didn't work out to well in the end. Because we stayed fat, or got even fatter.

If you want to juice, go to target and get a blender for 29.99 and use it to make blended green smoothies to have once a day *with* your food (lightly steaming the greens in the microwave will allow a cheap blender to do the job). Juicing can be a wonderful way of improving your intake of veggies and fruit. It can certainly improve your nutrition. But its not magic. The guy in the documentary lost a lot of weight because he cut his calories by a tremendous amount.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I tried it and because I am a picky eater I quit after 1 week. I felt awful, starving, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, and some vomiting. I don't like healthy food so obviously it didn't work. Since then I have started actually eating healthy food for instance.. plain Chobani Greek yogurt with fresh fruit, fresh spinach and spring mix salad with minimal toppings, boneless skinless chicken breast baked/grilled with garlic salt, quinoa cooked with water and salt and tastes like butter Yum!!!

I never knew healthy could taste so good. Lesson learned.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
  • jweindruch
    jweindruch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I watched the movie and got pretty inspired. I bought the Hamilton Beach "Big Mouth" juicer on Amazon for a reasonable price and it works great. I wasn't able to maintain just surviving off juice, but I do find that adding the juicing to my diet here and there is rewarding.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread and went and found the movie on Youtube and watched it today.

Yep I did find it inspirational - funnily not so much the Aussie guy that started it but Phil, the truck driver from Iowa.

He is my new hero .

But that being said I'm still wouldn't consider going on a juice diet myself. I need protein and good fats as well as fruits and veges to be able to function properly.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread and went and found the movie on Youtube and watched it today.

Yep I did find it inspirational - funnily not so much the Aussie guy that started it but Phil, the truck driver from Iowa.

He is my new hero .

But that being said I'm still wouldn't consider going on a juice diet myself. I need protein and good fats as well as fruits and veges to be able to function properly.

I loved Phil.... ( not in that way... not that there's anything wrong with that.... :blushing: ) But, after Joe meets him at the truck stop, you figure that's the last you'll see of him. When he starts his 'journey....' you just can't help but root for him..... I loved watching him succeed.

That said.... ( I don't guarantee the accuracy of this statement.... ) I HEARD... ( if I recall, through tweets or interviews with Joe Cross, and possibly my own 'internet investigation... ' ) that Phil was back up around 300 lbs, and was struggling with his weight. If that's true.... then, he's not exactly the poster boy for juicing, that he was in the movie.

To the OP, AllOnMeWOL, I sent you a PM. Sometimes the notification system isn't that obvious.
  • mountainmama321
    Options
    Why not eat a well balanced diet, integrate some exercise into your daily routine (even a 10 minute walk will be benefial - maybe buy a Walk Aerobics?) and then add juicing as a supplement to your diet for extra nutrients.

We just want you to be safe on your journey. This can definitely be a shocker to the body and set you up for failure if you follow that other plan. There is not quick gimmick to make you thin. I tell myself, I did not gain weight. It was a gradual process and losing it is the same.

Good luck~