having hard time meeting calorie goal

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

If that's true I'm eating plenty of calories maybe even to many which would explain why I'm FULL :) god I can't believe that I'm having a debate on if I'm full or not! Lol

Your full because your stomach has gotten used to you not feeding it much. READ the link I gave you above and that will explain everything.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I really think you should try to eat your daily allotment while losing. So aim for the 1300.
    You may have what I can only explain as a dieters "high". I sometimes get this in the beginning of starting a new program , where it's easy to eat less or exercise more. That's hard to sustain and even harder to maintain.

I personally never eat back the calories I earn from exercise...Actually I'll try to bank some for a night out, unless I burn more than 1,000 calories in a day then I'll use half.

Good luck and add me if you'd like.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You were eating too much if you are 244 lb. not exercising does not make you gain, eating too many cals does. I can easily eat 1200 cals and don't buy it that people are "too full" to reach 1200

Wow thanks for the no-help comment. sad when people feel the need to comment simply to be argumentative ... everyone else that was great info thank you very much :)

I'm not going to debate her comment as I didn't say it. It just wasn't a helpful comment. In no way did she answer any question I asked. If I say I'm full I'm full how is it for her to judge if I am or not?

i believe the person is just stating a common sense question …which is, how can it be hard to eat 1300 when to get obese you/us/everyone was eating a lot more than that …?

I believe the point that we are trying to make is that how can you be full on less than 1300 calories when you were obviously eating more than that to get to 244 pounds? If you address this question then it will help you to understand what is going on ….
  • sara5788
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food on a scale? If not you may be underestimating your calorie intake. It's also not unusual for people who are excited about a diet to go overboard and undereat calorie dense foods, but I would definitely check your precision before you raise calories.

I do not weigh foods. I do use measuring cups and the like. Thank you that was very helpful I will look into that :)
  • blackmax78
    blackmax78 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was sick about a month back and had 3 "nutritional shakes" that totaled up to about 900 cal... not enough by bed time so i forced myself to eat 4 tbsp of peanut butter to get up over the 1200 minimum i need to stay out of starvation... sometimes its whatever you can do to get to it to keep on losing!
  • sara5788
    Options
    I really think you should try to eat your daily allotment while losing. So aim for the 1300.
    You may have what I can only explain as a dieters "high". I sometimes get this in the beginning of starting a new program , where it's easy to eat less or exercise more. That's hard to sustain and even harder to maintain.

I personally never eat back the calories I earn from exercise...Actually I'll try to bank some for a night out, unless I burn more than 10,000 calories in a day then I'll use half.

Thank you and I will :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You were eating too much if you are 244 lb. not exercising does not make you gain, eating too many cals does. I can easily eat 1200 cals and don't buy it that people are "too full" to reach 1200

Wow thanks for the no-help comment. sad when people feel the need to comment simply to be argumentative ... everyone else that was great info thank you very much :)

Why are you being defensive? You are overweight, no? How did you get overweight? You consumed more calories than you burned. There is very little chance you gained weight eating 1,000 calories.

You need to be netting at least 1,200 calories, if you are doing intense workout regularly, you are probably going to want to net a little more. As you lose weight, your net should increase. Your deficit will become smaller as you get closer to your goal. Don't kid yourself into thinking VLC diets will be sustainable. They are not. In two months or less, you'll be tired and run down and you will give up and wonder what you did wrong.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I personally never eat back the calories I earn from exercise...Actually I'll try to bank some for a night out, unless I burn more than 10,000 calories in a day then I'll use half.

So you take advice from someone who has only loss 2 pounds and not from people who lost a lot of weight. Ok. Out.
  • sara5788
    Options
    quote]

I'm not going to debate her comment as I didn't say it. It just wasn't a helpful comment. In no way did she answer any question I asked. If I say I'm full I'm full how is it for her to judge if I am or not?

i believe the person is just stating a common sense question …which is, how can it be hard to eat 1300 when to get obese you/us/everyone was eating a lot more than that …?

I believe the point that we are trying to make is that how can you be full on less than 1300 calories when you were obviously eating more than that to get to 244 pounds? If you address this question then it will help you to understand what is going on ….
    [/quote]

I will try to answer that the best i can. I dont like breakfast i would wake up kinda sort full? So i would go all day then at supper eat like i was starving cuz i was then wash rinse and repeat. So I'm used to that if u read my comment at the top I said over eating wasn't my big problem moving is. I didnt eat all day long none stop was eating prolly 1500-2000 at one shot good? Not at all! And I have changed that. I'm not used to drinking water like a fish and eating 5 times a day and with this new diet I do want something for breakfast and I want lunch and I want dinner now. Its all the rest that just seems to be so much I feel like I'm always eating. I simply wanted to know if I should be getting more calories or not. I didn't know that I would be picked apart about how I ate before I changed my habits and started working out!
  • sara5788
    Options

I said thank you to you in a post all it did was post ur qoute and not me thanking you..I read that guys thing and found it very interesting. Also I got it I need more calories in my diet

So you take advice from someone who has only loss 2 pounds and not from people who lost a lot of weight. Ok. Out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I will try to answer that the best i can. I dont like breakfast i would wake up kinda sort full? So i would go all day then at supper eat like i was starving cuz i was then wash rinse and repeat. So I'm used to that if u read my comment at the top I said over eating wasn't my big problem moving is. I didnt eat all day long none stop was eating prolly 1500-2000 at one shot good? Not at all! And I have changed that. I'm not used to drinking water like a fish and eating 5 times a day and with this new diet I do want something for breakfast and I want lunch and I want dinner now. Its all the rest that just seems to be so much I feel like I'm always eating. I simply wanted to know if I should be getting more calories or not. I didn't know that I would be picked apart about how I ate before I changed my habits and started working out!
    [/quote]

OK…meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism….so you can eat three meals a day, six meals a day, or one meal a day and there is zero impact on metabolism.

My suggestion would be to eat three meals a day of about 450 calories each, which would put you at 1350 a day and you will then be hitting your calories goal….
  • sara5788
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OK…meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism….so you can eat three meals a day, six meals a day, or one meal a day and there is zero impact on metabolism.

My suggestion would be to eat three meals a day of about 450 calories each, which would put you at 1350 a day and you will then be hitting your calories goal….
    [/quote]

Thank you that was helpful and I think I'm going to try it for a few days and see how it goes
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if you were eating 1,500 calories a day, at 9pm every single day of your life, you still wouldn't gain. Most people have BMRs (the number of caloires a body burns with basic, life supporting functions only -- a coma state, essentially) that are AT LEAST 1,200. I assume since you are a SAHM, you don't lay in bed all day -- the amount of caloires you burn in a normal day (basic functions + activity = TDEE) would have to be at least 1,800, probably more but we will estimate LOW. To become 244 pounds, you would have to be consuming more than 1,800 calories regularly. The point is, 1,300 should'nt be "hard" to reach, you HAD to be eating AT LEAST 500 calories more per day (likley more!).
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the question.

If you are having a hard time reaching your calorie goal, eat more calorie dense food. Add oil when you cook. Avocados, full fat cheese, nuts, full fat dairy, red meat. All of those are pretty calorie dense. You shouldn't be eating just lean meat and fat free dairy with veggies. That WILL fill you up without meeting your calorie needs.
  • sara5788
    Options
    It does not matter if you were eating 1,500 calories a day, at 9pm every single day of your life, you still wouldn't gain. Most people have BMRs (the number of caloires a body burns with basic, life supporting functions only -- a coma state, essentially) that are AT LEAST 1,200. I assume since you are a SAHM, you don't lay in bed all day -- the amount of caloires you burn in a normal day (basic functions + activity = TDEE) would have to be at least 1,800, probably more but we will estimate LOW. To become 244 pounds, you would have to be consuming more than 1,800 calories regularly. The point is, 1,300 should'nt be "hard" to reach, you HAD to be eating AT LEAST 500 calories more per day (likley more!).

Lady I don't know who peed in ur diet shake this morning but what I did BEFORE I started working out has nothing to do with my question about calories Now. I a grown woman and so should you be so leave the trolling a cyber bullying to the kids thanks have a great new year :*
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sara- I sent you a friend request. I would leave much of the negativity of this thread behind.
    Why people choose to be so snarky when someone asks for help is beyond me.
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dont understand….we did not get obese by underrating so how is it hard to get to 1300 calories…I mean, you did not get obese by underrating all the time, so hitting 1300 should be easy ...

I don't understand either ... i eat between 1700 and 1600 a day and i would be happy to eat more even though i never eat out (home cooked meals only) and i have only a few pounds to loose nothing major ... if i were to eat 1200 i might literally not be able to move
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Just because people are being honest and real doesn't mean they are bullying you. None of us would be here if we had trouble eating 1300 cals.
  • sara5788
    Options
    I dont understand….we did not get obese by underrating so how is it hard to get to 1300 calories…I mean, you did not get obese by underrating all the time, so hitting 1300 should be easy ...

I don't understand either ... i eat between 1700 and 1600 a day and i would be happy to eat more even though i never eat out (home cooked meals only) and i have only a few pounds to loose nothing major ... if i were to eat 1200 i might literally not be able to move

Been eating less then 1200 for almost 3 weeks I feel great
  • sara5788
    Options
    Sara- I sent you a friend request. I would leave much of the negativity of this thread behind.
    Why people choose to be so snarky when someone asks for help is beyond me.

Agreed ;)