having hard time meeting calorie goal

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

OK…meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism….so you can eat three meals a day, six meals a day, or one meal a day and there is zero impact on metabolism.

My suggestion would be to eat three meals a day of about 450 calories each, which would put you at 1350 a day and you will then be hitting your calories goal….

The OP never said a word about her metabolism. She just said she used to be in the habit of only eating one meal a day, and that trying to eat three times a day leaves her feeling fuller and she has a hard time reaching 1350 calories.

sara5788, you should try to get close to your 1350 goal most days, and eat back at least some of your exercise calories, to keep your body fueled. There's been some good advice in this thread about using calorie-dense foods like peanut butter, avocados, and olive oil to boost your calorie intake if you feel too full to reach your goal with other foods.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I cut out sugars and a lot of processed foods. After a very short while I did realize I didn't feel hungry when it was time to have a snack or even a meal. But I ate something even if it was just a piece of fruit or some nuts. You have to feed and hydrate the machine if you want it to work properly.
    I think mine wasn't as much that I wasn't hungry as it was that my body's blood sugars weren't longer spiking and crashing so I didn't feel that physical discomfort I'd come to call hunger.
  • CourtDines1
    Options
    If you can try to eat 3 meals a day consisting of about 400 calories per meal then you will nail it! i had the same problem when i first started but it all comes down to trial and error, just keep logging every single thing in you diary and you will begin to understand hoiw your body works..

Before MFP i though i was eating around 1000 calories per day but what i wasnt realizing was how much i was being eating once a week and that would be what stopped me from loosing but now that i can see everything in my diary im much more aware of what i was doing wrong and finally seeing small results :)

sorry if i have made this more confusing lol
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I might be going to extreme with the calories. That is why I asked if it really that important to meet the calorie goal that mfp sets for you. I just find it hard after sweating my butt off at the gym every day to not notice calories everywhere on everthing. :/

I feel that some days I'm not that hungry and don't make the 1300cal goal I have.
    Don't sweat it. You'll have days when you want to eat more.
    MFP estimation of calories burned is grossly inaccurate so get accurate measuring if you think you should eat your cals back.
    I doubt we'll starve.
    Since I've been eating nutritionally well, I get full quite frequently.
    My appetite goes crazy when I am tired. So good sleeping is necessary (nightshift worker).
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if you were eating 1,500 calories a day, at 9pm every single day of your life, you still wouldn't gain. Most people have BMRs (the number of caloires a body burns with basic, life supporting functions only -- a coma state, essentially) that are AT LEAST 1,200. I assume since you are a SAHM, you don't lay in bed all day -- the amount of caloires you burn in a normal day (basic functions + activity = TDEE) would have to be at least 1,800, probably more but we will estimate LOW. To become 244 pounds, you would have to be consuming more than 1,800 calories regularly. The point is, 1,300 should'nt be "hard" to reach, you HAD to be eating AT LEAST 500 calories more per day (likley more!).

This person is right, you know. You didn't gain all that weight eating 1500 calories a day, that'd be impossible, except maybe if you laid in a comatose state all day.

Icecream or peanut butter or chocolate are great for upping calories. :drinker:
  • Belinda170
    Belinda170 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Because when you switch from high calorie foods (like a average burrito has 1200 calories in it) to low calorie foods (salads, fruit for snacks etc) It CAN be hard to get 1300 calories in. If you exercise too, it's hard.

That being said try to hit your calorie goal. Women shouldn't eat under 1200 calories for several reasons. One, you'll stall your weight loss because your body will think it's starving and conserve. Two, You won't be building muscle, and muscle burns 5 more calories per hour/per pound than fat. Also, if you stay under 1200 calories for long enough you can disrupt your cycle and endanger your health.

I agree with the people here that you should add avocado, nuts and the like to your food. Don't be afraid of fat!
  • eldazzio
    eldazzio Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a 6ft 300lb male, when I first started attempting to lose weight I did very high protein extremely low carbs for a while. I ate 6 times a day easily and was ALWAYS full, however I was struggling to hit even 1300-1500 calories a day. I switched my plan to include more carbs and calorie dense foods and I'm comfortably hitting my 1900 a day with exercise. Hope this helps you in some way and good luck!
  • hotlipsliz
    Options
    I agree with everyone else who suggested adding more calorie dense foods such as avocado, nuts, red meat, peanut butter, full fat dairy, etc. I sometimes have difficulty making my calorie goals thanks to one of the medications I take which is basically pharmaceutical grade legal speed and if I'm not hungry I have a hard time eating. I personally love almonds and I like to have a protein shake after workouts both of which are fairly calorie dense and easy to put down even if my appetite is in the toilet. Also, make sure you're getting enough protein and fat in your diet. Good luck, feel free to add if you want.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It does not matter if you were eating 1,500 calories a day, at 9pm every single day of your life, you still wouldn't gain. Most people have BMRs (the number of caloires a body burns with basic, life supporting functions only -- a coma state, essentially) that are AT LEAST 1,200. I assume since you are a SAHM, you don't lay in bed all day -- the amount of caloires you burn in a normal day (basic functions + activity = TDEE) would have to be at least 1,800, probably more but we will estimate LOW. To become 244 pounds, you would have to be consuming more than 1,800 calories regularly. The point is, 1,300 should'nt be "hard" to reach, you HAD to be eating AT LEAST 500 calories more per day (likley more!).

Lady I don't know who peed in ur diet shake this morning but what I did BEFORE I started working out has nothing to do with my question about calories Now. I a grown woman and so should you be so leave the trolling a cyber bullying to the kids thanks have a great new year :*

She's not trolling. She's actually trying to help you and you're throwing a tantrum over it. And actually the amount you ate before you started dieting has A LOT to do with it, because you were more than likely eating way more than you are now. You gain weight by eating MORE than you burn. That's an indisputable fact. It's hard to believe that you would be having an issue eating 1200-1300.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I really think you should try to eat your daily allotment while losing. So aim for the 1300.
    You may have what I can only explain as a dieters "high". I sometimes get this in the beginning of starting a new program , where it's easy to eat less or exercise more. That's hard to sustain and even harder to maintain.

I personally never eat back the calories I earn from exercise...Actually I'll try to bank some for a night out, unless I burn more than 10,000 calories in a day then I'll use half.

Good luck and add me if you'd like.

Thank you and I will :)

So you take advice from someone who has only loss 2 pounds and not from people who lost a lot of weight. Ok. Out.

Her post indicates she has been on VLC diets before and has regained the weight. If you added together all the weight I've lost on VLC diets, you could say I've lost somewhere between 480 and 560 pounds. So that makes me an EXPERT on LOSING. The point is keeping it off. VLC diets: They aren't sustainable.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You were eating too much if you are 244 lb. not exercising does not make you gain, eating too many cals does. I can easily eat 1200 cals and don't buy it that people are "too full" to reach 1200

Wow thanks for the no-help comment. sad when people feel the need to comment simply to be argumentative ... everyone else that was great info thank you very much :)

It's also a load of rubbish! You can easily be overweight from eating too little for too long, and not moving, especially if what you're eating is the wrong foods. Not everyone is the same. I don't lose weight unless I exercise, or I practically starve myself.

I have 2 young kids though, so I don't understand how you weren't active as a SAHM. That's the bit that confuses me. My 2 don't stop moving. My son is at school now, and i work part time, but on my days off we do not stop moving! When I was on maternity leave with my youngest we were out every single day on the seafront, in the park, at soft play etc.

I started off losing weight after my 2nd child was born, and I started off at 1200 calories and struggled to meet that some days, and I was working out 5 times a week, plus taking my kids out. Then I joined MFP and increased my calories, and now I don't find it hard to hit 1500 calories. I'm pregnant now and aiming for 1800 and even that is now doable.

I did lose weight at 1200 calories, because I was so active, but when I increased to 1500 I lost more, and it made all the strength training I was doing more effective I think.

My diary is open so you're welcome to look. Things like peanut butter for example can easily increase your calories, or a couple of pieces of fruit.
  • changergirl
    Options
    I would definitely recommend eating at least your goal now. You may be feeling great at the moment but in a couple of months when you've lost weight it's not going to be great. If you're not eating enough calories and protein at least half of what you lose is going to be lean body mass. The less LBM you have the lower your metabolism/BMR/TDEE will be which will mean in a couple months you're going to have to lower your calories even more to lose weight. I know I wouldn't want to do that, it's not sustainable.

Eat your goal and eat back your exercise calories. A lot of people have made great suggestions on how to do it. Stick away from 'diet' foods and eat fuller fat dairy, nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc.

I've lost all my weight eating at least 1600 calories. It's coming off slow but it's the right way. You can add me as a friend if you'd like to see what I eat.
  • PowerRanga
    Options
    I can appreciate that you just feel full, You've eaten one meal a day for a long time and that is how your body has adjusted. It's the same with people not feeling the need to eat breakfast.

I would suggest you try slowly introducing small healthy snacks and meals through the day. A light breakfast before or after your workout and then slowly increase the quantity. Your body will adjust.

I agree with what some people have said; there is a possibility that you are over and underestimating your calories. I always take the higher calorie measurement on food and the lower on exercise because I know it is not precise (but I have the issue of going over my goal not under)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

OK…meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism….so you can eat three meals a day, six meals a day, or one meal a day and there is zero impact on metabolism.

My suggestion would be to eat three meals a day of about 450 calories each, which would put you at 1350 a day and you will then be hitting your calories goal….

The OP never said a word about her metabolism. She just said she used to be in the habit of only eating one meal a day, and that trying to eat three times a day leaves her feeling fuller and she has a hard time reaching 1350 calories.

sara5788, you should try to get close to your 1350 goal most days, and eat back at least some of your exercise calories, to keep your body fueled. There's been some good advice in this thread about using calorie-dense foods like peanut butter, avocados, and olive oil to boost your calorie intake if you feel too full to reach your goal with other foods.

Yes, I know she never said she did it for metabolism, but i was just sharing a little knowledge.. .I was just elaborating that there is no metabolic need to eat five times a day…geez…

to your second point,actually, she said that she has a hard time eating 5 times a day and drinking water because it makes her feel "full"…so my suggestion was that she can reduce that to three meals, or two meals, or even one meal if she wants to.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sara- I sent you a friend request. I would leave much of the negativity of this thread behind.
    Why people choose to be so snarky when someone asks for help is beyond me.

I do not see what is negative about trying to understand someone's eating habits so that we can provide advice, about said eating habits. I also do not see how it is negative to question how someone who is recently obese is now having a problem eating 1300 calories a day ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I would definitely recommend eating at least your goal now. You may be feeling great at the moment but in a couple of months when you've lost weight it's not going to be great. If you're not eating enough calories and protein at least half of what you lose is going to be lean body mass. The less LBM you have the lower your metabolism/BMR/TDEE will be which will mean in a couple months you're going to have to lower your calories even more to lose weight. I know I wouldn't want to do that, it's not sustainable.

Eat your goal and eat back your exercise calories. A lot of people have made great suggestions on how to do it. Stick away from 'diet' foods and eat fuller fat dairy, nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc.

I've lost all my weight eating at least 1600 calories. It's coming off slow but it's the right way. You can add me as a friend if you'd like to see what I eat.

How do you define lean body mass?

Adults only need about 50 grams of protein a day to remain in balance. That is 2 ounces or a tenth of a pound. Not much at all.

The reason it is tougher for formerly-obese people to lose those final pounds is that just the loss of weight means they have to work less in accomplishing the same level of activity.

If someone drops fifty pounds, that's like losing a 50 pound weight you have been lugging around. Your muscles have to work less.

what?

50 grams a day of protein to remain in balance?

this makes no sense…Yea, I guess your muscles will have to work less but if you do not use them then you will lose LBM and you will be "skinny fat"
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You are likely underestimating your intake. 1300 calories is nothing...hell, a typical meal out is close to 1,000 +.

If indeed you can't meet such paltry calorie goals it is likely you've cut far too much dietary fat out...dietary fat is an essential nutrient...eat nuts, avocados, cook with olive oil, etc. One tiny ounce of nuts...a very small handful has 150 calories plus. Half of an avocado is around 120....cooking with just a Tbsp of olive oil will add a good 110 calories to anything.
    ^^^ This (Although even if I went zero fat I would struggle to hit 1200 :-) )

Perhaps when you start moving a bit your appitite will get stronger :-)

good luck, you can do it. Make sure this is'nt a January diet but one that lasts for life. Sticking around here and making friends will help ensure that this happens :-)
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My mind boggles when I see people saying "I can't reach my 1300 daily calorie goal"

I usually have between 1000 - 1300 calories just for my dinner.

You probably can't reach your 1300, because you're that malnourished you can barely be bothered to feed yourself!
  • gingerlocks13
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, I used to have the same issue. I think it's a combination of a couple things for you to consider. The first (for me) was the mental part of it. Food used to be the "enemy" for me instead of viewing it as fuel/a tool to help me reach my goals. Therefore, when I ate - no matter what it was - I felt guilty/ashamed. Even if it was veggies! This is from a damaged self esteem. I'm not saying that is part of your problem but you really need to view food as an essential tool to reaching your goals. I think we can all agree we at least have some days where we don't really feel like working out but we push ourselves because we know what the end result will be. You need to get in that same mindset for food.

The second is absolutely planning. I hate planning my meals, dread it. But I know if I don't plan my meals and what time I will eat them, I will make bad choices. So, I eat a lot of the same food - because it's easy for me. And I set an alarm on my phone to tell me when it's time to eat. After time it will become a habit.

I'm eating between 1700-1800 a day now with ease after I got past those couple things.

Good luck with your journey!
  • sara5788
    Options
    I understand what you are saying, I used to have the same issue. I think it's a combination of a couple things for you to consider. The first (for me) was the mental part of it. Food used to be the "enemy" for me instead of viewing it as fuel/a tool to help me reach my goals. Therefore, when I ate - no matter what it was - I felt guilty/ashamed. Even if it was veggies! This is from a damaged self esteem. I'm not saying that is part of your problem but you really need to view food as an essential tool to reaching your goals. I think we can all agree we at least have some days where we don't really feel like working out but we push ourselves because we know what the end result will be. You need to get in that same mindset for food.

The second is absolutely planning. I hate planning my meals, dread it. But I know if I don't plan my meals and what time I will eat them, I will make bad choices. So, I eat a lot of the same food - because it's easy for me. And I set an alarm on my phone to tell me when it's time to eat. After time it will become a habit.

I'm eating between 1700-1800 a day now with ease after I got past those couple things.

Good luck with your journey!

Thank you and I think your right a lot of u are I need to just "eat" like when some morning when I don't want to work out I "just do it" an up side I guess I can food that taste better then what I'm currently eating :) thanks everyone it also makes me feel better to see people who eat 1500-1700 a day and have lost a lot of weight :)