What's wrong with circuit training?

Options
I see a lot of negativity around here toward circuit training as an exercise choice. Could some of you knowledgeable folks clarify why circuit training is a bad option, for those who enjoy it, or at least where the negativity comes from?

Replies

• str160
    str160 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested to hear negative comments from those who have actually participated in circuit training.

I'd bet though that most negative feedback would come from those who have never done it.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    No negativity here, most of my exercise is based around circuit training. There is a school of thought that thinks lifting should be done traditionally i.e. with no cardio element involved, but I prefer circuits personally.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    These are the people I like to call workout snobs. Just ignore negativity when it comes to exercise and do what you like. Everyone has an opinion and most of the time it's based on some stupid broscience theory.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Until recently most of my cardio was circuit training. It's great, I have no idea why people might have a problem with it other than...pushups are hard?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the one you will enjoy doing and will do regularly.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it and it is working for you, I say go for it.

I don't like circuit training/muscle isolation machines because I can work my muscles more in less time using different methods (that is, a few good compound lifts for 30 min-40 min)
  • DR2501
    Options

I don't like circuit training/muscle isolation machines because I can work my muscles more in less time using different methods (that is, a few good compound lifts for 30 min-40 min)

What does circuit training have to do with isolation machines?
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

This ^^^
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested to hear negative comments from those who have actually participated in circuit training.

I'd bet though that most negative feedback would come from those who have never done it.

I'm interested as well. Circuit training seems to be way more effective for me. Hmmm...
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    These are the people I like to call workout snobs. Just ignore negativity when it comes to exercise and do what you like. Everyone has an opinion and most of the time it's based on some stupid broscience theory.

"BROSCIENCE" LOL!! :laugh:

That's my Word of the Day!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Some gyms, such as the Gold's where I was briefly a member long ago, have a bunch of iso machines arranged in a timed circuit for circuit training. When the music changes, you "stop and wipe off machines," then go to the next one, completing between one and three revolutions around the circuit (according to the trainer I talked to) for your workout.

EDITED out a redundancy.
  • DR2501
    Options
    Oh I seeeeee. My circuit training is completely different - always compound exercises, always kettlebells or free weights, always with a plyometric element in between.

A good mainstream example would be the Men's Health Spartacus workout, but I generally do tabata kettlebell routines using the kb compound lifts - snatches, swings, clean and press, high pulls etc.
  • weightliftingdiva
    Options

Circuit training can be done with any type of exercise or exercise machine; the way I'm most familiar with it/see people doing it is going from muscle isolation machine to muscle isolation machine, which for me, would not be beneficial for the amount of time I am doing it.
    Of course, you can do circuit training without those machines. That's just the way I'm used to seeing people do circuit training. If you've designed a circuit training program that helps you reach your fitness goals and that you enjoy doing, go for it. Circuit training is just not something I personally enjoy or would do because I don't think it is the right exercise choice for me.
  • weightliftingdiva
    Options
    Oh I seeeeee. My circuit training is completely different - always compound exercises, always kettlebells or free weights, always with a plyometric element in between.

A good mainstream example would be the Men's Health Spartacus workout, but I generally do tabata kettlebell routines using the kb compound lifts - snatches, swings, clean and press, high pulls etc.

Oh, see that sounds fun! I would totally try that. That's just not the kind of circuit training I'm used to people seeing (and places like Curves definitely don't seem to emphasize compound moves like that!)
  • DR2501
    Options
    That's fair enough, I'd never heard of these isolation circuits hence my question, but then I work out at home so I don't see how other people choose to work out.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Just to clarify, is your opinion of the usefulness of the sort of circuit training I described different than the circuit training you employ?
  • DR2501
    Options
    In that case I agree with you, 30-40 mins of compound exercises would be far more beneficial!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ^^THIS^^

Around here if you aren't "lifting heavy" and eating to meet your macros you're doing it wrong.

If you enjoy (or can bear) circuit training do that. You're doing your body good.
  • DR2501
    Options

Just to clarify, is your opinion of the usefulness of the sort of circuit training I described different than the circuit training you employ?

Yes, in my opinion. Compound exercises use multiple muscle groups anyway (thus they burn more calories) and when you add in the low/no rest factor of the circuit you're getting an excellent workout in far less time that's both strength and cardio based.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Nothing.