Cleanse

Options
I'm aware that most of you aren't supporters of cleanses, but just wondered if anyone had ever run across one that they actually got results from. I just thought it would be something I could do to start off the New Year. Any advise?

Replies

• st_scrivener
    Options
    The best cleanse that actually yields effective results is called a caloric deficit and healthy, active lifestyle.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, well aware of that. Just thought a kick off for the new year might include a cleanse for, if nothing else, a motivator to get back on the ball.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Yes, well aware of that. Just thought a kick off for the new year might include a cleanse for, if nothing else, a motivator to get back on the ball.

My first cleanse involved mentally preparing myself with the idea that I could eat the foods I love and find balance with my intake to lose weight.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been here for 3 years and can't remember reading a story of a cleanse where people didn't gained the weight back.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A nice long shower?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Use the restroom.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This has been the most effective cleanse I've ever used. I feel so alive afterwards, it's amazing!

irish-spring-bar-soap.jpg
  • katymartino
    katymartino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm aware that most of you aren't supporters of cleanses, but just wondered if anyone had ever run across one that they actually got results from. I just thought it would be something I could do to start off the New Year. Any advise?

Just to off-set the negativity you are getting - My nutritionist actually supported my desire to try a cleanse. I did the Jillian Michaels one. But you need to be careful with what you start back with. And make sure you are exercising as well. If you feel a cleanse will help you, don't listen to people who are trying to shoot you down. You know your body. Yes, a healthy diet and exercise are the best way to lose weight, we all know that. But if you have the support of your physician, there is nothing wrong with a cleanse.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Just to off-set the negativity you are getting - My nutritionist actually supported my desire to try a cleanse. I did the Jillian Michaels one. But you need to be careful with what you start back with. And make sure you are exercising as well. If you feel a cleanse will help you, don't listen to people who are trying to shoot you down. You know your body. Yes, a healthy diet and exercise are the best way to lose weight, we all know that. But if you have the support of your physician, there is nothing wrong with a cleanse.

Except that it's a waste of money.

I personally recommend Popeye's spicy fried chicken and Texas Pete hot sauce. Works every time.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    The reason that most aren't supporters of cleanses is because we haven't run across one that anyone actually got real results from
    My advise is to not look for a cleanse or do a cleanse.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There are many ways to get "results". For example I could hand you a meal replacement shake with 100 calories and tell you to drink 3 of them instead of eating food, and you will certainly get results if your definition of "results" consists of rapid weight loss.

But it won't all be fat, you'll lose lean mass, you'll be miserable, you won't learn any applicable habits that will carry over to ones you will need when you actually make proper lifestyle changes to succeed.

You also aren't "cleansing" any "toxins" with these cleanses. You are replacing food with various beverages (depending on the cleanse) which results in a very large energy deficit which results in rapid weight loss largely due to losses in water initially.

You will find it's not sustainable, you will be miserable, your hunger signaling will get screwed to hell either during or after the cleanse (when you'll likely binge eat all the weight back on and then some).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    For some reason people believe that the body needs to be purged or cleaned before continuing on with a cleaner, more healthy diet. Reminds me of a dirty pot, we would clean it first before preparing anything else to eat, but the body doesn't work like that. It has a self cleaning mechanism that most don't understand that helps protect the body from pathogens and disease, which we certainly don't want to disturb by trying to remove the bacteria that helps us maintain that good heath. You'll do more harm than good...........thankfully the body is aware of the Dr Oz's of the world and lives through these periodic calamities (cleansing).
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to get "results". For example I could hand you a meal replacement shake with 100 calories and tell you to drink 3 of them instead of eating food, and you will certainly get results if your definition of "results" consists of rapid weight loss.

But it won't all be fat, you'll lose lean mass, you'll be miserable, you won't learn any applicable habits that will carry over to ones you will need when you actually make proper lifestyle changes to succeed.

You also aren't "cleansing" any "toxins" with these cleanses. You are replacing food with various beverages (depending on the cleanse) which results in a very large energy deficit which results in rapid weight loss largely due to losses in water initially.

You will find it's not sustainable, you will be miserable, your hunger signaling will get screwed to hell either during or after the cleanse (when you'll likely binge eat all the weight back on and then some).

Bingo!
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options

This has to be the best reply I have ever seen to a cleanse question. OP, I hope you feel the same.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Expected this...sarcasm, etc. I actually did start off with a cleanse last year, and I did feel and see results, So, I'll go with the one that worked for me in the past as I should have known how many smart *kitten* there are in here. lol. I just wondered if anyone had come across something that they really liked. It's not only results I'm looking for, but a mental jump start on my mind to get in gear again after the holidays and at the start of a new year. Doing something other than diet and exercise keeps me on top of things when starting a new year. But, that's just me....

http://www.desktopdrugstore.com/14-day-acai-berry-cleanse-tablets.html?gclid=CNnJpcmh2LsCFSRk7AodIEAAYQ
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Expected this...sarcasm, etc. I actually did start off with a cleanse last year, and I did feel and see results, So, I'll go with the one that worked for me in the past as I should have known how many smart *kitten* there are in here. lol. I just wondered if anyone had come across something that they really liked. It's not only results I'm looking for, but a mental jump start on my mind to get in gear again after the holidays and at the start of a new year. Doing something other than diet and exercise keeps me on top of things when starting a new year. But, that's just me....

http://www.desktopdrugstore.com/14-day-acai-berry-cleanse-tablets.html?gclid=CNnJpcmh2LsCFSRk7AodIEAAYQ

Well it seam that you made your mind of doing a cleanse. " if you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got"

Good luck with you weight loss
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I actually did start off with a cleanse last year, and I did feel and see results

Did you? You're back again the next year. . . Definition of insanity is...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I actually did start off with a cleanse last year, and I did feel and see results

Did you? You're back again the next year. . . Definition of insanity is...

:laugh: I guess it didn't workout to well. :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    Even the ones who support them would be hard pressed to deny what actual peer reviewed clinical studies conclude..............they don't "cleanse" anything from your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

how about a nice long shower?