Lets try this again. How long did it take YOU to lose 30lbs?

Options
So I posted earlier and apparently people misinterpreted my goals. I have a date of February 14th, but that is just my date that I want to have shown significant progress by. My overall goal is to lose 30lbs but I don't have a specific time line for that, I just plan to work really hard with exercise and diet. I am unhappy with my body because it's not the type of body I want and I am overweight. People interpreted that into the fact that I'm just mentally unhealthy and that I apparently won't be happy with myself even if I lose the weight which I know for a fact isn't true because I know what goes on in my head. I am just simply looking for people to share their weightless stories and regimens they followed and how long it took them to lose 30lbs and how they accomplished it (what their exercise routine was, what their diet was, etc). I am not looking for the most recent "crash diet" and I know I'll be comfortable in my own skin when I finally reach my goal. Any comments that I made in my other post were not meant to be snarky or rude and I'm sorry but I don't see how people so horribly misunderstood what I said and in turn be so snarky to me. So again, I'm not looking for the most popular crash diet, and my goal is NOT to lose my 30lbs in the 6 weeks until February 14th. February 14th is simply a date that I would like to show significant progress with myself because I have plans for valentines day. ALL I am looking for is people to share their stories of how long it took them I lose 30lbs, and what worked for them as far as diet and exercise routines (I have an elliptical so any workout routines with that would be great). Thanks again and sorry for the previous post.

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well, it's kind of hard to misinterpret 'I need to lose 30 lbs in 6 weeks, HALP!'.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liz, I replied in your original thread. Some of the replies are really great. Please go back and re-read the replies, as you will find some wonderful golden nuggets of advice in there. :smile:
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Well, it's kind of hard to misinterpret 'I need to lose 30 lbs in 6 weeks, HALP!'.

That wasn't the title. I do admit I had worded the title in a way that could have been taken wrong and I apologize. It was meant to be taken as "My goal is to lose 30 lbs and I need help ASAP". Nowhere in my actual post did I imply at all that I was trying to lose 30lbs in 6 weeks. But thank you for bringing negativity to this new post.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Not sure anyone is going to give you the answer you want.

A person with a 100lbs to lose could lose 30 pounds in a couple of months. Someone with only 30 lbs to lose could (SHOULD) take much longer.

If a person legitimately has 30 pounds of extra body fat to lose a healthy rate of loss is about 1 pound per week for the first 20 pounds and then about .5 pounds per week for last 10 pounds. So around 40 weeks total.

Of course weight loss is never that linear and people normally have sticking points.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Good luck on your endeavor! My goal is also to lose 30 pounds! :) would you maybe want to be MFP friends? I'd love to keep up with how your doing and let you know what's working for me! And I like the extra motivation and accountability!

If anyone else reads this, feel free to add me too! I love meeting people that are working towards their goals. Truly inspiring. :)
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Took me nearly 6 months to lose 28 lbs. I followed mfp calorie suggestions to lose 1 lb a week and that is all for the first 15 lbs. Next I started working out and eating back 1/2 to 2/3 exercise calories. Then I started weight lifting and eating back almost all of exercise calories. I have been in maintenance for a couple of months now and just sticking with same workout plan (kickboxing three days a week, weightlifting twice a week), eating mfp recommended maint. Calories, and eating back majority of exercise calories.
  • lizj0nes21
    Options
    Good luck on your endeavor! My goal is also to lose 30 pounds! :) would you maybe want to be MFP friends? I'd love to keep up with how your doing and let you know what's working for me! And I like the extra motivation and accountability!

If anyone else reads this, feel free to add me too! I love meeting people that are working towards their goals. Truly inspiring. :)

Thanks! I'd love to keep in touch :)
  • QuietBloom
    Options

That wasn't the title. I do admit I had worded the title in a way that could have been taken wrong and I apologize. It was meant to be taken as "My goal is to lose 30 lbs and I need help ASAP". Nowhere in my actual post did I imply at all that I was trying to lose 30lbs in 6 weeks. But thank you for bringing negativity to this new post.

I apologize. You said it you needed to lose 30 lbs ASAP. Then you went on in your post to say that you wanted to see significant progress by Feb 14th.

You got plenty of good advice in that thread, why start a new one?

You are entirely welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose 30lbs to hit goal weight, I would schedule 6-12 months. It has taken me a year to lose the last 25lbs, personally.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    It took me about four months to lose 30 lbs, which works out to about 1.75 pounds a week, but I had about 65 lbs to lose just to reach the top of the "healthy" BMI range (25). I plan to reassess then and decide if I want to shoot for a weight in the middle of the healthy BMI range for my height. Anyway, I would expect it to take you longer than that, because you have so much less to lose.

I don't think I had a special "regimen." I counted calories consumed and calories burned every day, and I made sure that every week I was averaging at or below my target deficit. I don't worry about staying at or below target every day; when I'm hungry I eat more, although practically never above maintenance, and that generally seems to result in my not being very hungry the next day, and I'll eat less then. Also, I gave myself permission to average at maintenance during Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks, but in reality, although I was above maintenance on the actual holidays, I was still at a deficit for the week).

I started at what MFP calculated as a 500 calorie deficit for me, based on my saying I was sedentary (desk job, and I logged every step I took outside the office and home as exercise), but after averaging 2 lbs a week loss over the first eight weeks, I realized that for whatever reason, my TDEE (before exercise) was at least several hundred calories higher than MFP assumed. However, I decided I was OK with losing 2 lbs a week, given how much I had to lose, so I just left my calories at the same level (even when MFP wanted to lower it because I had lost weight), and I assume at some point the losses will slow, because there will be less of me to maintain.

I don't have any foods that are off limits (or at least no new foods that are off limits -- I still don't eat tripe or chicken feet, and I've always trimmed visible fat off steaks, roasts, chops, etc., because I don't like the texture, and I won't drink coffee with sugar because it tastes absolutely vile to me). I probably eat a higher ratio of nutrient-dense foods (vegetables, beans, whole grains, nuts, fruit, yogurt and other dairy, fish, seeds -- no, I'm not saying meat and poultry are bad, I just haven't changed how much I eat them, which is and has for many years been less than in the average American diet) to processed "treats" like candy bars and chips than I did before I started logging here, but nothing is off limits. I think I've only bought a large bag of potato chips once since starting at MFP, because that is one food that I have a really difficult time eating in moderate amounts, but I still have the occasional small, single serving bag of chips at lunch.

One other change is that I don't hit the vending machine in the afternoon when I get hungry or low energy. Instead, I keep a wide variety of snacks in my desk that offer more nutrition than a candy bar, or at least fewer calories (unsweetened 4-ounce cups of applesauce, tea/herbal tea, coffee-flavored roasted almonds, sesame-flavored roasted seaweed, popcorn, granola bars, Pop Tarts -- ! -- yes, a Pop Tart has fewer calories than the large candy bars in the vending machine, Blue Diamond's almond and other nut crackers, and those peanut butter/cheese cracker sandwiches that come six to a pack -- I've learned I can be satisfied with one or two or three of the cracker sandwiches, and just put the rest of the pack in a ziplock bag until next time.)

I don't count how much water I drink, but it's probably not more than four (8 oz) cups of plain water every day. I'm one of the heretics who believes that your body uses water in coffee, tea, milk, juice, other beverages, and food the way it uses plain water.

As for exercise, at first all I did was walk more and start taking the nine flights of stairs to my office instead of the elevator. Then I started putting on music and dancing in my living room in the evening. Eventually I started walking A LOT more, then mixing in a little jogging with the walking. I counted gardening, raking, and shoveling snow as exercise. I got yoga and Pilates DVDs at the library.

Finally, about a month ago as the daylight got scarce and the weather turned cold, I used a Living Social voucher to try a nearby gym for a month, and yesterday I signed up for a regular membership. I take classes (mostly various dance classes and low-weight high-rep "pump" classes) at the gym on the weekends and when work allows me during the week, and just use a treadmill and weight machines when I can only go at times when no classes are scheduled. Sometimes I do the treadmill and/or weights in addition to whatever class I make it to, depending on what the class is. I'm supposed to get a fitness assessment and two sessions with a personal trainer as part of the membership, so I may use the PT's expertise to set up a more formal training schedule and goals. But I've lost more than 30 lbs without that, and frankly, I think I might find a set schedule of exercises boring and non-motivating. For me, just tracking the calories in and calories out has seemed to be the real difference -- that and having motivation from health concerns to keep me on track.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it took me around 8.5 months, i still have a bit more to lose but my calorie deficit was slight (10% below my TDEE) because i was focused more on my weight workouts making sure i ate enough to keep making strength gains . it was pretty painless too (except for the workouts :laugh: ) but i think that's because i was only eating like 300 calories less than i needed to maintain.
  • GFielding_56
    GFielding_56 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I started my campaign to lose weight last December (6th to be exact) - I lost 30lbs by the end of March 2013. I have managed to lose a few more pounds but I'm now where I'm happy with my weight but want to reduce body fat.

I initially started the 5:2 diet where you are restricting how many calories you eat - for a woman around 600 for a man around 800. My intake daily should have been around 1800 but I usually stuck to around 900-1000 which I found to be achievable.

When I started to lose the weight I also increased the amount of exercise I did including walking every lunchtime for about 30-50 minutes which helped enormously.

The whole point of my campaign was to lose weight but also to make it sustainable and not spend my life eating shakes or other faddy diet stuff - you have to eat real food and be able to live properly not starving yourself.

I am now around 77kg/172lbs which I have been since August and am happy with my weight and shape. My BMI tells me I'm still overweight but I don't think BMI is a good indicator. The important thing is I'm now fitter, lighter and happier with my achievement - I'm lighter than I ever expected so pick a goal and go for it.

There are lots of good people on here that will offer you good advice support and encouragement - you can achieve what you want - it's a long road not a sprint.

Good Luck
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Not sure anyone is going to give you the answer you want.

A person with a 100lbs to lose could lose 30 pounds in a couple of months. Someone with only 30 lbs to lose could (SHOULD) take much longer.

I agree with this. Losing weight that quickly when you are already fairly lean will lead to more muscle loss than you would see losing weight more gradually while doing strength training at the same time.

My focus when I first joined MFP was running so I lost about 30 pounds fairly quickly bringing my BMI from almost 25 down to around 20 (which was my goal for marathon training). I regret this decision as I lost more muscle than was necessary. It is much easier to lose weight than add muscle (again I speak from experience as I am currently bulking). I slowed my strength progress considerably by losing weight so quickly. I started Stronglifts 5x5 only after my goal weight was achieved. I wish I had started sooner.

My goal is not to scare you. Losing weight quickly did not "ruin" my metabolism (I average about 3,000 calories a day now at 176cm around 63kg) nor did my weight ever Yo-Yo. I am just assuming that you would like to lose primarily fat and not muscle in order to optimize your health and body composition.

My recommendation is to avoid my mistake. Start lifting heavy weights now, not once you achieve your goal weight. Lose weight gradually and your body composition will be healthier once your goal weight is ultimately achieved.

In terms of how to lose weight, just track your calories carefully and eat at a reasonable deficit to your TDEE. For health, muscle preservation, and your fitness goals, reasonable macro and micro nutrient targets will also be helpful. Everything else (meal timing, what foods you eat, etc) is a matter of personal preference and totally up to you!
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    About 10 months. I'm 5'2 and went from 159 to 129. From late February to early July I lost my first 15 lbs, but I also had two extremely stressful months of school where I wasn't really trying to lose weight. Since July I have lost an additional 15 lbs. I only have 10 more to lose so my weight loss has slowed down a bit, but I'm seeing progress every week.

Also for future reference, weigh yourself WITHOUT clothes on. My scale's in the bathroom and I use it first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom and I weigh myself without clothes on. Boots, pants, shirts, underwear and a jacket can really add up, so take them off and you'll be at least 5 lbs lighter.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs in 3 months going to the gym 4x a week and eating 1200cals a day :) Good Luck
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. Just ignore the snark. There's a lot of it on MFP. LOL. Some people just can't resist showing how smart they are, That said, there was a lot of good advice in the last thread.

As for timeline, well the last time I lost 30 lbs I did it in 2 months. Not good. I was always tired, hungry and lost a lot of hair. I also gained it all back. Eating next to nothing and exercising 2,5 hours per day was simply not sustainable.

This time around I'm aiming for .5 to 1 lb per week which means it should take me anywhere from 6 months to a year to drop it all. I know it sounds like a long time, but each 5 lb loss makes a significant difference when there is not much to lose and on a 5'4 frame.

Just eat at a reasonable deficit and exercise. It really does work as I can now say I'm 6 lbs down.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I started my campaign to lose weight last December (6th to be exact) - I lost 30lbs by the end of March 2013. I have managed to lose a few more pounds but I'm now where I'm happy with my weight but want to reduce body fat.

I initially started the 5:2 diet where you are restricting how many calories you eat - for a woman around 600 for a man around 800. My intake daily should have been around 1800 but I usually stuck to around 900-1000 which I found to be achievable.

When I started to lose the weight I also increased the amount of exercise I did including walking every lunchtime for about 30-50 minutes which helped enormously.

The whole point of my campaign was to lose weight but also to make it sustainable and not spend my life eating shakes or other faddy diet stuff - you have to eat real food and be able to live properly not starving yourself.

I am now around 77kg/172lbs which I have been since August and am happy with my weight and shape. My BMI tells me I'm still overweight but I don't think BMI is a good indicator. The important thing is I'm now fitter, lighter and happier with my achievement - I'm lighter than I ever expected so pick a goal and go for it.

There are lots of good people on here that will offer you good advice support and encouragement - you can achieve what you want - it's a long road not a sprint.

Good Luck

Did I misunderstand? Or are you fasting 2 days a week (800 calories) and then eating 900 to 1000 the other 5 days while exercising? Because that is crazy town.
  • tobefitfifty
    Options
    Hi Liz.....my suggestion would be stick to the basics - healthy eating using MFP diary and a regular consultant exercise schedule mixing version and weights. I'm at the start of my journey so cutting out takeaways, chocolate, crisps and alcohol will make a difference . Get in to these habits then track your progress.

Good luck (suggest you move on from any of the negative and focus on the positive)

B :-)
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Well.... to answer the new thread question... IF I just keep logging and doing as I have at the rate I am on I'll be down it by 1/30. That is 3 months. However, since I"m back in the gym now I expect that may change.

We're the same height, I read the other thread...however I've got different goals and a good bit more to lose than you do so my results will differ. Don't know your frame size so technically the range you'd like to be in looks fine. That said, I'd recommend more using the scale as a guide then an end all be all. Looked like you want a 30+ lb loss, but body composition goes into a lot with this so I really would consider tracking measurements also.

There's a ton of "quick fix" things out there like fasting, detoxing, and a ton of other craziness. I have done Zero and am down 20# in 2 months. First month all I did was measure and weigh food and cut sodas/iced tea. 2nd month I ditched my measuring cups and put everything to the food scale and started adding in exercise. 3rd month, well I'm back in the gym and doing my old supplement routine and we'll see where that puts me.

Find what works for you. If you're hungry, eat. Be reasonable and start following a program. Could do a couch to 5k situation or one of the in home dvd systems or just hit the gym. Sticking with it is the key.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for almost 4 months now. Not quite 30 pounds yet.