MFP Etiquette

Options

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    People I add I will keep in touch with. People that add me I keep in touch with IF they're active. If they're not active for a month, I delete them.
  • rinaznet
    rinaznet Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the replies and point of view, mccindy, anewlife, ascroder. No worries about me being offended. I enjoy hearing different point of views :-)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You have two friends here. And apparently there was a third, who now knows you're referring to them.

Good luck adding to that list!

I love you.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    3 months with no activity - unless I know what is up,I delete them. This gives room for some back sliding, health issues, vacations and what not. After 3? Then they have to find me again. ;)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You have two friends here. And apparently there was a third, who now knows you're referring to them.

Good luck adding to that list!

I love you.

:heart:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    People I add I will keep in touch with. People that add me I keep in touch with IF they're active. If they're not active for a month, I delete them.

you give them a month? wow! that's so generous. I usually delete folks after 10 days.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I'm going to come off a bit harsh... but seriously?? Do you really need reassurance that bad? Do you need someone to tell you "great job" or "awesome burn" every time you do what you're supposed to be doing?

I think it's nice when someone comments on my feed but to be honest it doesn't really make a difference in what I'm doing or how I feel about my progress. I don't want to say that I couldn't care less if someone comments, but I seriously couldn't care less.

Furthermore, if someone comments on my feed I'm not going to rush over to their profile to return the favor... You should be doing this for you, not for generic comments from random people.

You never pay attention to me! :sad:
  • aschroeder2749
    aschroeder2749 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Also, to clarify my earlier post. One might wonder why I would accept friend requests from someone I don't know. I figured maybe they saw something in my community posts or profile that interested them - perhaps a common interest, struggle or question. I figure maybe they would like to see my updates in their news feed from time to time to see how I'm progressing.

I do NOT accept requests from people because I excepted them to comment on every. single. workout., nor did I hope that they expected the same from me. But I'm realizing not everyone sees it that way, resulting in hurt and offended people.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

you give them a month? wow! that's so generous. I usually delete folks after 10 days.

Sometimes I accept and delete someone on the same day.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I'm kind of the opposite. I don't want people to give me empty kudos, trite platitudes when I complete a workout or complete my food diary for the day. If you're saying "good job" "way2go!" often, it tends to become meaningless after awhile. I'd prefer to only get comments when I completely knock it out of the park, and I tend to only do the same with friends as well.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

lololololl:laugh:

I've done that. It's usually after I find out they're those chicks with eating disorders. Which I have no idea why they add me. I'm not even close to looking like I have an eating disorder lol. At least not the same kind they do haha
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of the opposite. I don't want people to give me empty kudos, trite platitudes when I complete a workout or complete my food diary for the day. If you're saying "good job" "way2go!" often, it tends to become meaningless after awhile. I'd prefer to only get comments when I completely knock it out of the park, and I tend to only do the same with friends as well.

This.

It's like eating pizza everyday - it's not even enjoyable. Much better when it's an occasional treat!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No. What happens is an individual normally "adds" the amount of friends they can adequately keep up with as far as actively encouraging them. But then, others add them, and they feel unkind saying no. So the friend list grows due to other people sending them requests. Then, the individual cannot possibly keep up with commenting on everyone's posts.

I ran into this problem myself. I added maybe 5 people. A lot more people added me. I didn't feel right saying no. Then, people posted rants like this and got offended because not all their friends constantly commented on their postings.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Different people use the friend feature for different things. Personally, I view the friend feature as a "forum" of sorts to ask questions and learn from each other in a more intimate setting than the normal forums.

Clearly, not everyone sees it that way. When I do a workout, I don't need every friend to post a generic response each time. If I hear from you on one of every 15 workouts I do, that's practical and enough for me!

I really don't understand this. And it's not to be rude towards you, OP. It's the school of thought in general that I just don't understand.

This!!!^
  • rinaznet
    rinaznet Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I do agree on this!

I want to reinforce on my original post, I said life goes on! That there is /no need/ for likes or comments on /every single/ update. Although it's nice to give support to others every now and then.

I thank everyone for giving their opinions and replies on this post, even the negative ones. It has been very enlightening :-)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Besides being really busy, this is precisely why i don't do social media - i have enough stress worrying about 'offending' people or hurting feelings in real life.

Why would i open myself up to feeling like a schmuck because i didn't respond often enough, fast enough, or positively enough to a 'friend's' random post?

No thanks...
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Attention two friends of rinaznet - you've been put on notice.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

lololololl:laugh:

I've done that. It's usually after I find out they're those chicks with eating disorders. Which I have no idea why they add me. I'm not even close to looking like I have an eating disorder lol. At least not the same kind they do haha

I think I have your same disorder. :sad: :sad:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm going to come off a bit harsh... but seriously?? Do you really need reassurance that bad? Do you need someone to tell you "great job" or "awesome burn" every time you do what you're supposed to be doing?

I think it's nice when someone comments on my feed but to be honest it doesn't really make a difference in what I'm doing or how I feel about my progress. I don't want to say that I couldn't care less if someone comments, but I seriously couldn't care less.

Furthermore, if someone comments on my feed I'm not going to rush over to their profile to return the favor... You should be doing this for you, not for generic comments from random people.

You never pay attention to me! :sad:

Hahaha, I need to come up with some more arbitrary words of encouragement and then maybe I'll be more likely to comment... I just don't want to write the same thing everyone else done. Here's a few I've been working on:

*pats back* atta boy!
    Woooooooooooooowwwwwwww!!
    You did it! You really did it!
    I'm so very, very proud of you.
    Way to go big boy!

I'll keep working on it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP you're so passive agressive you've become agressive agressive. you know people on your friends list can see this, right?
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Attention two friends of rinaznet - you've been put on notice.

:laugh: