Ugh, now I'm all paranoid about gluten

Options
124»

Replies

• catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    At this point, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. It's in your brain. Gluten was no biggie a decade or so ago, but magically all these stories show up and now EVERYONE is gluten intolerant. It's the nocebo effect plain and simple.

There are people that have legit issues with gluten, unfortunately due to media hype and the whole gluten is bad for you subculture many people are just having effects due to the nocebo effect.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hO4_UEe-4 )

I think we've already established it's NOT in my brain. Go back to your bridge troll.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    @catpea : i would just like to say that my issues with wheat first started as intestinal issues 15 years ago. i didnt think to get a test done then because i assumed it was lactose and left it at that. then a few years later i developed what was diagnosed as exercise induced asthma because i'd get weird throat constrictions that would hamper breathing.

it wasnt until 5 years ago i started developing rashes and hives that contributed to my throat constriction that a new doctor suggested i get tested for food allergies. that's when i discovered i was allergic to wheat and when i eliminated that i no longer had the intestinal issues, the "exercise asthma" or the hives.

so basically my wheat allergy started off as something "small" like intestinal problems and then a decade later got worse.

oh and i also used to be one of those people who thought food issues and allergies were all in people's heads, especially if it's nothing they had lifelong, until it happened to me.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    At this point, it doesn't matter if it's true or not. It's in your brain. Gluten was no biggie a decade or so ago, but magically all these stories show up and now EVERYONE is gluten intolerant. It's the nocebo effect plain and simple.

There are people that have legit issues with gluten, unfortunately due to media hype and the whole gluten is bad for you subculture many people are just having effects due to the nocebo effect.

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hO4_UEe-4 )
    I think we've already established it's NOT in my brain. Go back to your bridge troll.
    Not sure why that was directed at me as my post wasn't directed at you.
  • scottconverse
    scottconverse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd read Wheat Belly http://www.amazon.com/dp/1609614798 and Grain Brain http://www.amazon.com/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Sugar-Your-Killers/dp/031623480X

These are the two primary books that kicked off the anti-gluten trends you're reading about now. They also propose low carb/lowsugar diets in general. Think "Keto" www.reddit.com/r/keto (as in ketosis). It's basically an extreme paleo diet. 60% fat, 35% protein, 5% carbs. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lose-weight-by-achieving-optimal-ketosis

Apparently, there's been a lot of research done the last few years that shows us grains and sugars are mostly inflammatory and that's what causes much of our modern day health problems. Same things with fat. It's not bad for you, it's good for you (unsaturated only though). At least, that's what the research is saying.
  • catpea33
    catpea33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I assumed it was directed at me considering part of the thread above in which the placebo effect was discussed and aimed at me. My apologies.
    By all means, eat whatever you think makes you feel better, but if a doctor found nothing wrong with you and you "just know" that you have issues with gluten anyway...that's the placebo effect.
    It's NOT a placebo effect. If I eat gluten, I get an upset stomach and a rash within half an hour. The thing is, sometimes I accidentally ingest gluten and only realise I had it when these symptoms appear and I check the label. The more recent example? I had a hot chocolate, checked the label first and all was good so I drank it. About half an hour later, I'm going crazy scratching at my chest with a warning rumble in my intestines thinking, 'How is this happening? I checked the label!' so I check it again and realise that I missed *wheat flour* in the ingredients. That's not a placebo effect or psychosomatic.

Secondly, the doctor found nothing wrong with me because I'd already eliminated wheat and other gluten ingredients from my diet. The blood tests are known to be inaccurate under those conditions. For an accurate test, you're supposed to be consuming wheat regularly beforehand. Since the blood test was sprung on me, I wasn't able to do this. Perhaps you should read up on it. Even the blood tests show up false negatives. The *only* reliable test is an intestinal biopsy. Since my dietary changes have removed the symptoms, I don't need to put myself through an unnecessary procedure.

And honestly, I don't see why my dietary choices affect you so much that you feel the need to effectively say my issues are all psychosomatic.