Which deadlift form do you do/prefer?

Options
Since there are so many varieties, would love to open a discussion on which one you prefer to do and why.

Romanian? Trap Bar? Stiff Leg? Sumo? Conventional?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Conventional FTW.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Sumo FTW!

More than anything it's because I know I can go much heavier without sacrificing my form.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Conventional. THe others (aside from sumo) are pointless. Romanian is ok. Stiff legged will jack your back if not done properly. Great for strecthing the Hams,though.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Sumo FTW!

More than anything it's because I know I can go much heavier without sacrificing my form.

CHEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Conventional for me...

Sumo suits people with long limbs, not tried trap bar.
    I do think is depends on how you prefer to setup tbh - I compete in powerlifting (5ft 7 tall, 93KG class), as does one of the bigger guys (Over 6ft tall, in the 120KG class) in my gym, we both lift conventional, but with a different stance (My feet are close together, his are wider), and he can Sumo Deadlift close to his conventional 1RM. I can only hit around 440Lbs Sumo, compared to 562Lbs conventional.

RDL\SLDL I see as Deadlift assistance in that they focus more on the Hams\Glutes as opposed to seeing them as Deadlifts
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love the trap bar. It helps me to keep a neutral spine and lift heavier. I have a hard time with conventional as I lift heavier with always hitting my knees :/
  • SweetPea_7
    SweetPea_7 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i love conventional... but i will admit, Romanian is my favorite of them all.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Stiff legged which if leg day falls on back day I'll kill two birds with one stone.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Conventional. I will add RDL at times for more isolation stuff but nothing beats traditional DL for me. Trap bar and sumo are eh.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    which form would you say targets the posterior more than anterior?
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Conventional for me. I lack the hamstring flexibility to do straight leg properly. I do some RDL as assistance work.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I do sumo dead lifts, Romanian and stiff leg! I like doing all of these equally!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I prefer conventional. I've lifted slightly more with the sumo, but don't really like it much. I tried the jefferson deadlift for fun. It's a good variation for training purposes.

The conventional will target the posterior more.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I prefer the stiff legged.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I must still be a lifting N00b, I didn't know there was a difference between Romanian and stiff leg :embarassed:

I think I do the Romanian ones … I keep my knees soft but lift more with the hams/glutes than whole leg (this is the deadlift I was taught years ago by a trainer). I want to expand to traditional at least, but keep sticking with my normal. I guess I need to watch a few more youtube videos to feel familiar with the form.

EDIT: Google-fu! Looked it up and I do the RDL (gentler on the back, yay)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Stiff legged
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Conventional. I feel like I get the most out of those.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Stiff legged.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Stiff and sumo. I'm pretty tall so sumo works well for me.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    conventional.

although when i was doing a lot of stiff legged ones my hamstrings had a lot more shape to them & i really liked it. i am tempted to start incorporating some of those into my routine even though i've read not to add anything additional when you are doing stronglifts