Which deadlift form do you do/prefer?

Options

Replies

• mscrystallee
    mscrystallee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Due to knee issues, I tend to do leg presses and then Romanian Deadlifts.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Conventional.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    For max attempts I pull conventional. That and sumo are really the only *actual* deadlift variations. The others are modifications of the lift designed to be more isolating movements. They're training accessories, not "main lifts."
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have long legs so I prefer Sumo, but second favorite is conventional. RDL is ok and I've never tried trap bar.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Romanian all the way!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    conventional barbell and trap bar. according to wendler the trap bar is the only real substitution for actual dead lifts.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Stiff leg! I want to like conventional, but I can't get the hang of it. Always feel like I'm going to fall backwards. :grumble:
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    conventional barbell and trap bar. according to wendler the trap bar is the only real substitution for actual dead lifts.

I have a hard time believing Wendler thinks sumo isn't a real deadlift since you can use it on the platform.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I have a hard time believing Wendler thinks sumo isn't a real deadlift since you can use it on the platform.

i never said, and he never said either, that sumo isn't a real dead lift.

what he says is that the trap bar is the only acceptable dead lift option for strict dead lifting.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    RDL because I hurt my back doing conventional and I am now scared of them :/ I also like single leg RDL a lot
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    articles:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/do_this_not_that_1
    Do This: Trap Bar Deadlift, Not That: Straight Bar Deadlift
    Do This, Not That
    Unlike the dumbbell row/barbell row, these two lifts aren't interchangeable. If you're a competitive powerlifter, the trap bar can be used as an accessory exercise but not necessarily as a main movement.

But if you're not a competitive powerlifter and need a good change of pace from pulling with a straight bar, the trap bar deadlift is a great option.

I liken this movement to a non-competitive lifter going between the hang clean and full clean (or power clean). While not the same thing, it offers a great change of pace, yet still maintains the integrity of the movement.

The trap bar is also a great way to increase quad strength, and it takes a bit of stress off the lower back as the handles keep the center of gravity closely aligned with the hips. For strength coaches that battle with sport coaches about the safety of the deadlift in their programs, the trap bar is a great compromise.

Let's face it, chasing the Big Three (squat, bench press, deadlift) can get tiresome, and having an acceptable substitution that can be used for several months might be just what you need to keep the competitive fires burning.

Finally, the trap bar allows you to pick something heavy off the ground and there's nothing more awesome than that.

Don't be so stubborn in your vision to leave this lift out of your training because it isn't a competitive lift – expand your vision a bit without sacrificing your principles.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/6_specialty_bars_for_strength_and_size
    There are different opinions about the Trap Bar, with the majority giving it a thumbs down because it doesn't carry over well to the regular deadlift. For people that don't compete in powerlifting, the Trap Bar is a great option. You can't argue the benefits of picking up something heavy off the ground whether it it be a Trap Bar or straight bar, so who am I to say it's not good?

The biggest advantage to the Trap Bar is the handles – they keep the bar close to your center of gravity. So in theory, it will make the lift safer. The Trap Bar also uses more quad than a normal deadlift. I've heard stories of people doing high pulls with a Trap Bar but I've never figured out how that worked. It's also great for doing shrugs and drag rows, but I wouldn't buy this bar just for those two exercises.

The one drawback to most Trap Bars (or Hex Bars as they're often called) is the short sleeves. Even with the thinnest of plates these sleeves make it very hard to get appreciable weight on the bar. I was lucky enough to purchase a larger Hex Bar about 10 years ago but can't recall where I bought it. If you're stronger than the average person this may prevent you from using this bar in any meaningful capacity.

Conclusion: Great for athletes, if you can find a bar big enough to handle your strength level.

he states that if you are a competitive lifter and/or you're putting up 500+ pounds that the trap bar isn't for you. but as far as things go, it's the closest thing to a dead lift.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

i never said, and he never said either, that sumo isn't a real dead lift.

what he says is that the trap bar is the only acceptable dead lift option for strict dead lifting.

gotcha. I misunderstood what you were driving at. I know anyone who has competed (as Big Jim most definitely has) probably just says "deadlift" when he's thinking of either of the accepted competition pulls. A lot of guys don't even distinguish between conventional and sumo because they're both legal forms of the same lift, kind of like high bar and low bar squats. The style any one lifter uses is more a matter of personal preference and most advantageous leverages than anything else.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sumo for sure. I don't feel pain in my lower back with it. Conventional hurts my lower back for some reason.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I pull conventional for competiton. I have tried sumo stance in the past, but it bugs my hips. For assistance, I love snatch-grip deadlifts, and deficit deadlifts.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Conventional w/ alt grip (except I'll use overhand for first warmup set or two, then alt grip backwards for last warmup set, then preferred alt grip for work sets).

(I may try sumo again in my next block because I have lifted more with it long long ago and my back felt different...not necessarily *better*, but different.)
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Conventional; keep it simple. SLDL's are awesome for leg day, though!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    sumo, then conventional. least favorite is RDL.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    RDL
  • RxKetogenicRx
    Options
    Hack squat...AKA a "reverse dead lift". A fun variation to avoid lower back involvement
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts, I love every kind of deadlift!
    0.jpg