A note to resolutioners........

Options
prattiger65
prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
I joined MFP 365 days ago. That's right, i was a resolutioner too. Statistics say that most will stop by January 15th. For you folks who may read this, I offer you encouragement to stick with it, it's worth the effort. I'll stay away from offering advice and instead give a brief overview of what I did.

I started by just logging my food, or better said, learning how to log my food accurately. It takes some time to learn. I then started reading and learning about food and metabolism and what the neck all these crazy acronyms are????? BMR, TDEE, TEF, what the neck is a macros? I read and read and asked a lot of stupid questions. Eventually, I kinda figured it out.

Then I started walking, just walking during my lunch hour at work. I did that for a few months. Then I joined a gym and a whole new set of things to figure out. What are all these things and what do they do? What does "lift heavy" mean? What the neck is the difference between 5x5 and 5/3/1? But I figured it out and started lifting. So now when I read, " dyel", I say, yes...yes I do.
Then my wife asked me to do c25k with her, I did and I learned that I like to run. So, like Forrest Gump, I just started runnnn,nnning.

In closing, it's a process, it takes time. Start slow and KISS. In the last 365 days I have lost around 50 pounds, I am stronger than I have ever been in my life. Have ran in several 5k's, am training now for a half marathon, and feel better than I have since I was a teenager. I promise it is worth it!!!!

Oh, one more thing. There is quite a bit of great info on these forums, seek it out. But beware, there is also almost as much total nonsense. Here are the cliff notes.
Fad diets don't work.....Period
Diets that restrict certain foods rarely work
You want to lift to keep the muscle you have now.
Cleanses are a joke, don't waste time or money
Meal replacement shakes are not a long term solution.
You can't spot reduce fat.

TL;DR.......eat less move more. Be patient.

Good luck in the new year to reach your goals!!!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Great info here, and congratulations on all your hard work in 2013.

I'll add a link to another great post. Wish it'd been here when I started:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Diets rarely work. Weight loss efforts rarely work. Period. Don't demonize formal dieting (which you do indirectly). It works for some folks. Some folks need assistance in learning how to eat in a more healthy manner. Some formal diets can teach people to do that. Silly fad diets, sure. Those are dumb.

Otherwise, I agree. And good post.

And I'll add:
    New folks, give this a read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Remember folks: the goal isn't LOSING the weight. The goal is KEEPING IT OFF. Have a plan for the rest of your life.

ETA: She beat me to the sexypants link! Clearly, it's a good link new folks.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Great minds post alike!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great minds post alike!
    :drinker:
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Such great advice.
  • adayinaz
    adayinaz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I've been one of the failed resolutioners many times in the past... this time, I actually have a well thought out plan and I'm excited about getting started with it! Thanks for the links!
  • 195jw
    195jw Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging post. Diet got way out of control this year with a new job, a move, geographical separation from my wife and kids, and all the stress that goes with these things.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Brilliantly said and done!
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    Love this. Thanks
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Super awesome post....

I would add the one thing that keeps me going - when you fail, it's ok. Look at what happened, let go of perfection, seek advice to change what tripped you up (it may be you are being too rigid) make a tweak and keep going. That has saved me many times.

I started, just like OP, with just logging food. That's it. I didn't even care if it was a good choice, or met my calorie goals. Then I looked at it and wow, I just felt like I could see things to change. Then a few times, life got in the way. I posted for help when I felt so hungry I was done with it - got some dumb advice and some great advice. Tweaked the plan. Perfection got dropped. I've gone off my basic plan several times - for a day or so - (OK, most of Christmas through NYE) and back on again. I keep pausing and resuming instead of quitting. Many many tweaks later - it's working slowly, comfortably and surely for me.

So to sum that up - when you find it ain't working - don't quit - tweak it.

I don't set rigid goals. I don't have weight lost by a certain date kind of goals. I just keep moving it up a notch as I feel ready. My NYE resolution is to walk a 5K in 2014 (no set date in mind).

Good luck - friend me if you want. We're in this together.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I was a "resolutioner" last year also. When others were giving up 2 weeks in, my resolve became stronger, and before I knew it, I was down 10 lbs. And a full year later, I'm down 3 pants sizes! When you want to give up, that means its working!!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Terrific post, OP. Cograts on your success and as a fellow half marathoner, best wishes for your race!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This is the kind of New Year's note I love to read. Excellent and thank you.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i'd also add that losing weight shouldn't be hard or unenjoyable.

it's only hard when you try to do too much too soon or set unrealistic expectations on yourself that you set yourself up for burnout and failure.

the people who set out to eat a tiny number of calories (bad for lots of reasons) and spend half their day going full out on an elliptical or treadmill are going to wear themselves out quickly. you simply can't sustain a regimen like that. don't pay any attention to what you see on TV shows like The Biggest Loser. those are edited and don't reflect a true time period or environmental conditions under which those people lost weight. many of them gained most or all of it back once they were off the show and back to eating the way they always did and no longer had 10 hours a day to workout with a celebrity trainer berating them.

find some exercises/activities you like and enjoy, and it'll never feel like drudgery doing them. cardio is useful for creating a calorie deficit and also allowing you to eat more calories that day. strength training (with heavy weights to muscle failure, not with those silly 3lb pink dumbells) is necessary to retain muscle mass and develop your muscles further.

there's a saying that's true... "cardio is to help you look good in clothes, strength training is to help you look good out of clothes".

finally, don't deprive yourself of foods you love. if you love chocolate but decide that you simply can't eat chocolate while losing weight (for example), you'll most likely start to obsess about it and eventually give in to a binge. the trick is to let yourself have the foods you like and find a way to fit them into your calorie and macronutrient goals by eating them less frequently and/or in smaller portion sizes. after all, the whole point of life is to enjoy it. foods you love are part of that enjoyment.

good luck! :drinker:
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    there's a saying that's true... "cardio is to help you look good in clothes, strength training is to help you look good out of clothes".
    Ooh, I'd not heard this one before. I got smaller in 2013, and I want to get stronger in 2014. I'll use your words as my mantra.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Bump! Good luck in your race, OP!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Fad diets don't work.....Period
    Diets that restrict certain foods rarely work

MFP also rarely works.

There are no magic bullets - "logging" isn't a Harry Potter spell - losing weight takes discipline, a long term commitment, and is bloody hard work.

Go into this treating it as an actual job, and odds of success go up dramatically.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I'm exactly where you were a year ago, trying to figure out what everything means and getting overwhelmed by all of the info that's being posted. I'm just taking one day at a time and trying hard not to overthink everything, I want weight loss/eating healthy/fitness to be a part of my life but I don't want it to "be" my life if that makes any sense.

I've made a resolution not to make any resolutions... LoL
    I've always failed miserably with any resolution, usually because they're always made for the wrong reasons at least as far as I'm concerned, I don't want this change to be a resolution I want it to be an educated way of life.