Cat people....C'mere!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Hey fellow cat lovers! I have a question regarding cat litter. I need a good clumping brand for pee. I have 3 cats and even though I clean the boxes everyday the pee doesn't "clump up" and make sifting easy. I use Tidy Cat clumping but was wondering if there is a better brand to try that clumps the pee!

Thanks so much!!!!!

Lisa

Replies

• olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have two large male cats who do nothing but go to the bathroom, it seems, and an epically huge litter box that I have to scoop every day. I had that same clumping issue before, but I use Fresh Step for multi-cat households and the clumping is really good.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Fresh Step is good! A little more expensive than Tidy Cat, but worth it. Also they have a points program that you can redeem for rewards.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Well, I use "The World's Best Cat Litter", but I also scoop two boxes for two cats twice a day. Seems reasonable to "flush" more often if you're still having a problem.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I really like Fresh Step too, with carbon which controls both urine and feces odors. Clumps really well and no odor as long as you scoop daily.
  • ianthamfyolek
    ianthamfyolek Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also have three cats and use Tidy Cats. The cats and I have all been quite pleased with it, although if you want something natural, the wheat litter is FABULOUS as well. It is a little more expensive, but it is flush-able in small amounts (I recommend scooping twice a day and flushing with each clump).
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Yes, I'd love a flushable kind as well! Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely give fresh step a try!
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    I also have three cats and use Tidy Cats. The cats and I have all been quite pleased with it, although if you want something natural, the wheat litter is FABULOUS as well. It is a little more expensive, but it is flush-able in small amounts (I recommend scooping twice a day and flushing with each clump).

Where do you buy wheat litter???
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You can get the wheat litter at most pet stores. I have used it in the past and didn't think it worked well at all for pee. The pee turned into cement in the bottom of the litter box.

We use Fresh Step and really like it.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow cat lovers! I have a question regarding cat litter. I need a good clumping brand for pee. I have 3 cats and even though I clean the boxes everyday the pee doesn't "clump up" and make sifting easy. I use Tidy Cat clumping but was wondering if there is a better brand to try that clumps the pee!

Thanks so much!!!!!

Lisa

I had a cat briefly that some ***hole dumped in our work parking lot. My boyfriend and I had her for about 6 months before we found her an adequate home and we went through several litters. We ended up sticking with Fresh Step Scoopable Clumping Cat Litter for Multiple Cats. We cleaned our box every day or two and the pee always clumped up nicely. There was also no smell in our apartment with this litter. We loved it!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164112&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=11164112&utm_medium=cse&mr:referralID=d3e32cbc-7306-11e3-9f1f-001b2166becc
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My husband and I use fresh step clumping. It also helps with odor.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Well, I use "The World's Best Cat Litter", but I also scoop two boxes for two cats twice a day. Seems reasonable to "flush" more often if you're still having a problem.

Me too....then I started using 7th Generation from BJ's (I think that's the brand)...even better...using a litter locker and scooping every time I walk past the box helps. WBCL is quite expensive :ohwell: I dump the entire box once a month & don't feel guilty about it because the one at BJ's costs about 7$ for 25#'s or so
  • PurpleStars73
    Options
    I have 4 cats and work at a pet supply store. I use odour buster. It works well.
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    I use Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Walnut based. It clumps amazingly well. Plus, it's safer for cats. Most brands are clay based. When the poor kitty cat goes to clean their paws the clay gets in their system and could cause major health issues. Nobody likes vet bills.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I use Blue Buffalo Naturally Fresh Walnut based. It clumps amazingly well. Plus, it's safer for cats. Most brands are clay based. When the poor kitty cat goes to clean their paws the clay gets in their system and could cause major health issues. Nobody likes vet bills.

I've tried that stuff as well, if you like WBCL, you'll like this one as well =)
    It works the same way & properties and price point are very similiar.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Do you have a covered litter box? I found this will prevent it from clumping, I assume because not enough air is getting to it. The same thing can happen if you use too much litter. I always use the cheapest clumping litter I can find, and as long there is room for air to circulate, it works fine. You may also need to use multiple litter boxes. Good luck!
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Check out Cat Genie - our maine coon cat Ellie loves her Cat Genie. It's plastic pellets - we call it the cat washer - it's plumbed to normal water. IT washes the plastic pellet crystals and then dries them. It takes 30 minutes and voila all clean. No clumping. I will admit the plastic pellets do fall on the laundry room floor just like regular kitty litter. The trick we found - cat #1 was afraid of cat genie, cat #2 refused to use and cat #3 Ellie loves it - we use it manually. No worries of it turning on/off while she's using it. We go into the laundry room press start button, close the laundry door and in 30 minutes we open the door back up. Yes Cat Genie is a bit pricey but when you think about the $ for cat litter - it's worth it. We rarely add crystals - probably once every 90 - 120 days. Check it out on the web.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Fresh step has been the best that I have used thus far.

Definitely helps with odor.

I have one cat.
  • ianthamfyolek
    ianthamfyolek Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lisa, I purchase wheat litter at our local grocery store called Meijer, or it is at any of the pet store places, and the corn stuff is good as well. I think the most well-known is World's Best Cat Litter. Let us know how it goes for you!

Where do you buy wheat litter???
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Arn't cats supposed to do their business outside????!!!!! Why do you have litter trays in the house? I have 3 cats and they all go outside to do their business, they only used a tray when they were kittens? :huh: