Cat people....C'mere!

Options
2»

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Arn't cats supposed to do their business outside????!!!!! Why do you have litter trays in the house? I have 3 cats and they all go outside to do their business, they only used a tray when they were kittens? :huh:

I don't know about anyone else who posted here, but I have three indoor only cats. They don't go outside. Where I live, there is way too much traffic and other dangers that I won't expose them to.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Arn't cats supposed to do their business outside????!!!!! Why do you have litter trays in the house? I have 3 cats and they all go outside to do their business, they only used a tray when they were kittens? :huh:
    In most places in the United States, anyway, it isn't safe to let your cats outside. They will be run over by cars or eaten by hawks or coyotes or get into fights or catch a disease/parasite. My understanding is that in England there are few natural predators for cats. Not sure how you get around the hit by a car thing or the fighting/disease thing.

Also, some people are irresponsible and do not spay/neuter their pets, and letting them out contributes to the overpopulation problem. But I imagine that's a problem on both sides of the pond.
  • Bunnixo
    Bunnixo Posts: 162
    Options
    I have 4 beautiful persians and I use Fresh step! Best one I've found
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The one with the cool yellow bucket. . those come in handy.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    We have cars yes, we have fox's, and have diseases and parasites, I have 3 boys, there all neutered and up to date with there vaccines, my eldest cat is 15, my last cat was 21 that before she was put to sleep. I suppose their lucky cats cos I allow them to stay out all night every night, they even bring me home a dead bird or rat ever morning. But thats what their supposed to do, there hunters.

Some of my friends in England have litter trays for their cats, the cat goes out all day then comes in and craps on the tray........... I don't get it:huh:
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Cat_sandwich.jpg
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My boys who are all neutered usually go out when it's nice out and then come in at night. I don't live near a busy road but we have all kinds of critters who come out of the woods to pray upon cats. In the morning I feel them all outside and then they go on their "poop walk" as I call it.
  • victal
    Options
    Cat_sandwich.jpg

I love it!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Pics!!! (of the Persians)

Can't help with the litter as we have different products available in different countries but I'm in for the cat love :heart:

BTW, I have two indoor cats in the UK. They aren't *supposed* to go anywhere... they aren't *supposed* to even be roaming this country as they are not native, and they certainly aren't *supposed* to poo in my neighbours gardens! Not to mention the havoc they wreak on native species of small animals and birds and the danger they themselves are in from traffic and cruel b*stards like that woman who got caught on CCTV putting a cat in a wheelie bin. If I want the luxury of having companion animals, I have a responsibility to ensure that the damage they inflict is minimised. That's my personal opinion :happy: Many of my good friends disagree.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'd love a flushable kind as well! Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely give fresh step a try!

Note, Fresh Step brand is not flushable. Also, Sam's Club has the best prices for it. Scooping after kitties "go" (vs 1xday) is better on odor control. As is doing a complete litterbox wash/change out twice a week. Dump old litter & wash box with a mixture of bleach and blue-dawn dishsoap. Make sure to rinse well with cold water.

:flowerforyou:
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Pics!!! (of the Persians)

Can't help with the litter as we have different products available in different countries but I'm in for the cat love :heart:

BTW, I have two indoor cats in the UK. They aren't *supposed* to go anywhere... they aren't *supposed* to even be roaming this country as they are not native, and they certainly aren't *supposed* to poo in my neighbours gardens! Not to mention the havoc they wreak on native species of small animals and birds and the danger they themselves are in from traffic and cruel b*stards like that woman who got caught on CCTV putting a cat in a wheelie bin. If I want the luxury of having companion animals, I have a responsibility to ensure that the damage they inflict is minimised. That's my personal opinion :happy: Many of my good friends disagree.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: THIS! When I was a teenager my neighbor's cat was shot in killed for pooping in another neighbor's garden! It was awful and very traumatic. Poor kitty.
  • victal
    Options
    There are cruel people everywhere when it comes to animals/pets. How a person treats and nurtures their pet/companion is individual. Because someone allows their pet to go outside is not irresponsible or wrong, the people who lay poison in their gardens to stop them pooing in them is. My cats love going outside in the warm & cold weather, in the fresh air. They do not cause damage, if people stick to the speed limits and slow down for them to cross the road they will remain safe. We can not stop cats crossing the road like I am not going to stop my children crossing the road, it is an element of risk.

They catch rats, they wear bells on their collars to 'minimise' this. I live in a large city that's full of them, they are vermin. They have never brought home anybodies budgie or chin chila.............................. love yer boys:heart::heart::love::love:
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    My lazy cats hardly ever leave my back porch!:laugh:
  • victal
    Options
    I wish mine would stay in more often, i like a snuggle on the couch :bigsmile:
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    +1 to cat genie. Changed my life.

http://www.catgenie.com/
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Scoop Away "Super Clump" Box says "never have to dump the box again" This made me purchase it and alas... it was true! I am impressed.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

I don't know about anyone else who posted here, but I have three indoor only cats. They don't go outside. Where I live, there is way too much traffic and other dangers that I won't expose them to.

Me too I have 3 indoor cats but they all started outside as strays so that's not going to happen again. Too dangerous. We use Fresh Step as well and love it!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I like Tidy Cats with the grey lid. It has febreeze in it that really cuts down on odor. I also scoop twice a day (multiple cats).
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There are cruel people everywhere when it comes to animals/pets. How a person treats and nurtures their pet/companion is individual. Because someone allows their pet to go outside is not irresponsible or wrong, the people who lay poison in their gardens to stop them pooing in them is. My cats love going outside in the warm & cold weather, in the fresh air. They do not cause damage, if people stick to the speed limits and slow down for them to cross the road they will remain safe. We can not stop cats crossing the road like I am not going to stop my children crossing the road, it is an element of risk.

They catch rats, they wear bells on their collars to 'minimise' this. I live in a large city that's full of them, they are vermin. They have never brought home anybodies budgie or chin chila.............................. love yer boys:heart::heart::love::love:

No of course it isn't wrong :flowerforyou: It's a personal choice. I choose not to, so I make my indoors environment very cat friendly. Plenty of litter boxes, things to scratch, climb on, places to sleep and toys to play with. Lots and lots of cuddles with their human.

My problem is you can't see what damage they potentially are doing to local wildlife. Has anyone seen the programme called 'the Secret Life of Cats'? I think it was a Horizon programme. It was a eye-opener for the villagers who took part - their cats were tracked with GPS collars and some wore cameras. Really interesting!

*if* people stick to speed limits and watch where they're going, don't use their mobiles etc. then theoretically they'd be safer on the roads but that's a BIG if, and I live too close to a major A road to take the chance.