Does America Need a Plus-Size Barbie?

Options
DMZ_1
DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
Great video!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2993417342001/does-america-need-a-plus-size-barbie/?playlist_id=2114913880001

It is no secret that United States residents are getting fatter. According to the CDC, in 1990, no state's obesity rate was over 14%. In 2010, no state's obesity rate was below 20%.

Should Barbie dolls represent our growing corpulence?

I say no. Barbie dolls should represent a slender or athletic & toned body type. The traditional Barbie doll has a slender body type and I like that. A Barbie doll having an athletic, fit & feminine body type like tennis player Maria Sharapova is great too.

I also do not think Barbie dolls should be viewed as the be-all, end-all in defining body types.

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Oh god, not touching this with a 10 foot pole lol.

Ok ok, I lied.

BAD IDEA.
    This reminds me of the "average size underwear" campaign a bit ago..
    That wasn't average, that was overweight for every single one of the models. Average should cover different ranges/sizes.. Not just overweight.

That's all.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think a plus size Barbie is a stupid idea.

Girls of impressionable ages learn a lot more from their moms. I don't mean whether their mom is fat or thin/fit. But their mom's attitude about health, fitness, nutrition, female roles, confidence, etc. All of that is SUPER important. Not the shape of Barbie's body.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I'm anxiously waiting for the short haired, pansexual feminist barbie. Hopefully it will be in stores by next holiday season.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Haven't we already determined that the traditional Barbie has an impossible body type?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I think minus size big macs, chocolate bars and pizzas would be better.

PS stop watching FOX news, it is scientifically shown to shrink your intellect when compared with other leading propaganda sources.
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Does American need a Barbie?

I mean seriously. We're in deep do do when the size and shape of a child's toy is a matter for the news, but most Americans probably couldn't tell who their governmental representatives are.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    It's OK to admit you still play with your Barbies, OP.

We won't judge.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sure, when they start making Beer Bellied GI Joe's
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    How about a Barbie based on a normal healthy weight woman. That is where we should be going. Either the current Barbie or the plus sized Barbie teaches lessons we don't want to teach our kids. I saw pictures of a Barbie created using healthy BMI statistics and she was slim and attractive without being unrealistic. Now that is what I am talking about.
  • BrotherSpankus
    Options
    How about a Barbie based on a normal healthy weight woman. That is where we should be going. Either the current Barbie or the plus sized Barbie teaches lessons we don't want to teach our kids. I saw pictures of a Barbie created using healthy BMI statistics and she was slim and attractive without being unrealistic. Now that is what I am talking about.

I couldn't have put it better!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    "Not touching this with a ten foot pool."

My exact thoughts. I'm sticking to it. lol
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    An averaged sized barbie doll would be awesome and should happen
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I'm anxiously waiting for the short haired, pansexual feminist barbie. Hopefully it will be in stores by next holiday season.

You forgot vegan, PETA member and made out of plant fibers so it's 'green'.

What irks me is the double chin. WTF thought that was proportionate?
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

Interesting tigerblue. Granted I never was a Barbie consumer, I do see your point. I'm forced to consider the new sizing for the plus-size models ~ Sizes 8 - 12 (US), who have now replaced the formative sizes 12 - 16 (US) representing the average-sized women at 5ft 8 and above.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options

But why? It's just a doll.

Maybe this is where males/females differ. When I was little, I certainly wouldn't want to play with an average GI Joe. I'd want the guy to be ripped, tough looking, and have lots of guns. I'd want my GI Joe to be tougher than my friend Hercules figurine. I didn't care that his extremely low body-fat percentage was unhealthy.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

this would actually make me very happy (the fact that you are saying it in a mocking way does not though)
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    Haven't we already determined that the traditional Barbie has an impossible body type?

This! If were going to change barbie to make her "accurate" make her a what a real healthy fit woman should look like.
    http://www.babble.com/beauty/barbie-vs-real-women-nickolay-lamms-latest-study-in-comparison/barbie-vs-real-curves-study-11/
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    Sure, when they start making Beer Bellied GI Joe's

Hahahaha
    I guess if we make barbie accurate, ken might need an update too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Average Barbie:

barbie-2.jpg?w=260
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    No. America needs a "regular" sized Barbie. Giving girls a plus sized Barbie is like saying "It's ok to be overweight." And it's not okay.