Does America Need a Plus-Size Barbie?

Options

Replies

• vuco1990
    vuco1990 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh my God we are talking about damn toys. Will soon be there a social movement that fights about prejudice against toys? LOL, we as society are enjoying in so much comfort that we are dealing with this stupid subject.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't care if they make a plus-size barbie. I find it disturbing that people are so obsessed with the body-type of a doll.
    I mean, I get that Barbie sets some pretty unrealistic beauty standards for little girls; but, for the record they set some other pretty unrealistic standards too. There are lawyer barbies and doctor barbies (careers which only a select few people succeed in) and in 2012 there was actually "President of the United States" barbie. Shouldn't we be concerned about that? It's an ideal that is totally unrealistic and practically impossible for girls to achieve because, like their dolls, they will be judged solely on their appearance.

In a country where 6 year old girls are more likely than not to worry about their weight and/or getting fat, and where exists a $200 billion dollar a year weightloss industry worldwide, and a $170 billion dollar cosmetics industry, and a $500 billion a year fashion industry, I am okay with being a little rough on Barbie for having a waistline that's equal to the width of her eyes. As tough as it can be to get there, there ARE women who are doctors, and lawyers, and heads of state. There are not women whose waistlines are equal to half the width of their faces, and holding that up as something to aspire to is horrifying.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    http://tvcrewny.com/barbie-doll/

Hope this helps, but it probably doesn't.

This is better:

http://www.babble.com/beauty/what-would-barbie-look-like-in-real-life-a-new-study-in-comparison-by-artist-nickolay-lamm/image-3571-2/

image-3039-434x578.jpg

But it compares her to the "average" 5'3.5" woman which is a little misleading. Of course a short woman is going to have different proportions.

image-3571-434x587.jpg

Barbie's Measurements:
    91.44 cm bust | 36 inches
    45.72 cm waist | 18 inches
    83.82 cm hips | 33 inches
    55.88 cm head circumference | 22 inches
    22.86 cm neck circumference | 9 inches

I am 5'9" as well.
    Bust: 35
    Waist: 29
    Hips: 40
    Head: ~23"
    Neck: ~14"

Her waist and hips are too narrow for her bust and her limbs are very thin but really she's not that bad.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    How about a Barbie based on a normal healthy weight woman. That is where we should be going. Either the current Barbie or the plus sized Barbie teaches lessons we don't want to teach our kids. I saw pictures of a Barbie created using healthy BMI statistics and she was slim and attractive without being unrealistic. Now that is what I am talking about.

But why? It's just a doll.

Maybe this is where males/females differ. When I was little, I certainly wouldn't want to play with an average GI Joe. I'd want the guy to be ripped, tough looking, and have lots of guns. I'd want my GI Joe to be tougher than my friend Hercules figurine. I didn't care that his extremely low body-fat percentage was unhealthy.

This. It is just a doll. I played with Barbies - they always had the fanciest dresses, their own Camaro and airplane and RV...it's fantasy play. FANTASY. I never once thought about whether or not I would grow up to look like her. I didn't care. It was play. Maybe it's just me.
  • sunfirelynn
    sunfirelynn Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with being fat
    There is nothing wrong with existing in a larger body

The attitude that "being fat is not okay or is wrong" is what causes so much self hate so much sickness and mental health issues

stop it , if you want to change your body do it but never EVER shame someone else for theirs :smile:

Oh & having a bigger barbie is not going to make kids fat all the sudden so do not even play that silly **** :laugh:

I agree ^^^^
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm so sick of people trying to push the "fat is ok and you can be just as healthy" thing going on these days. You're not helping people, you're allowing them to rationalize a problem.

And this whole "fat shaming" thing, it's ridiculous. Yes, ridiculing someone for being overweight and legitimately shaming them is wrong, but people are using this term for things that aren't even shaming.

The people that are saying it won't make kids fat, you're right a doll won't make them fat, but it will make them think that being overweight is ok and become complacent. And I'm not saying it's just a doll that's going to do that, but the entire culture that's spreading through America.

Former fat kid checking in. Come at me.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options
    Wheres the short fat ken doll?
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm so sick of people trying to push the "fat is ok and you can be just as healthy" thing going on these days. You're not helping people, you're allowing them to rationalize a problem.

And this whole "fat shaming" thing, it's ridiculous. Yes, ridiculing someone for being overweight and legitimately shaming them is wrong, but people are using this term for things that aren't even shaming.

The people that are saying it won't make kids fat, you're right a doll won't make them fat, but it will make them think that being overweight is ok and become complacent. And I'm not saying it's just a doll that's going to do that, but the entire culture that's spreading through America.

And I'm so sick of people worried about what others are doing with they body or life.

And there is no way that a doll, will ever make a fat kid think its okay. Impossible in our current culture of constant, images of skinny people being bombarded daily in their brain.

People are complacent NOW without a doll being present so I do not understand your argument.

It boils down to individuals and also how they are raised. A doll isn't going to change that. I don't care what you or anyone says.

You have your opinion and I have mine.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think there should be a plus-sized Barbie but I would like a more 'average-sized' one. I think the Barbie ideal isn't realistic. I believe that my daughter is going to to look to me and the other women in her life to be her role model before a doll. That is my #1 motivating factor.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    No.

And I'm so sick of people worried about what others are doing with they body or life.

And there is no way that a doll, will ever make a fat kid think its okay. Impossible in our current culture of constant, images of skinny people being bombarded daily in their brain.

People are complacent NOW without a doll being present so I do not understand your argument.

It boils down to individuals and also how they are raised. A doll isn't going to change th.at. I don't care what you or anyone says

I'm not necessarily worried about what other people are doing and I have no problem with overweight people. But the entire culture is ridiculous. As I said it's not just a doll that's doing this but it's one of many factors that are leading people to be MORE complacent and ok with being overweight. I'm not saying people should be ashamed or hate themselves but telling kids that there is nothing wrong with being fat? Please... There are loads of health risks that come with being overweight.

Edit:
    I don't think there should be a plus-sized Barbie but I would like a more 'average-sized' one. I think the Barbie ideal isn't realistic. I believe that my daughter is going to to look to me and the other women in her life to be her role model before a doll. That is my #1 motivating factor.

Also agree with the people in this thread that are saying things similar to this.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    No.

It boils down to individuals and also how they are raised. A doll isn't going to change that. I don't care what you or anyone says.

So a fat doll won't make a kid think it is ok to be fat, but an unrealistically thin doll WILL make a girl think she has to attain that body type.

kT3R4Bc.gif
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Personally I think America would benefit more from a doll that delivers Alec Baldwin's "pep talk" from Glengarry Glenn Ross."

tumblr_mdnyo0FHL11qg4blro2_500.gif
    But change coffee to cake.

hmmm...

*goes off to find some coffee cake...because I'm a closer dammit*
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What would be wrong with teaching our kids that they should understand their realistic potential as human beings and that they shouldn't aspire to imitate a piece of plastic?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Oh gawd might as well make a butterface barbie too.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    No.

It boils down to individuals and also how they are raised. A doll isn't going to change th.at. I don't care what you or anyone says

I'm not necessarily worried about what other people are doing and I have no problem with overweight people. But the entire culture is ridiculous. As I said it's not just a doll that's doing this but it's one of many factors that are leading people to be MORE complacent and ok with being overweight. I'm not saying people should be ashamed or hate themselves but telling kids that there is nothing wrong with being fat? Please... There are loads of health risks that come with being overweight.

Edit:

Also agree with the people in this thread that are saying things similar to this.

I agree with the health risk. And you do make valid points.

However, I believe that a doll isn't going to make or break a child's weight. A child we are talking about. Someone who is raised by adults.

It is the adults responsibilities to teach the child. I am more concerned with generational habits from ALIVE people than a plastic doll.

If that was the case then I guess I would have been striving to be this unrealistic Barbie with unrealistic measurements that they say can not be achieved by the average or woman in general.

That did not influence me. But that is me. Perhaps I'm stronger than most and love myself. And guess where I got that from.... the people who raised me.
  • WhoHa42
    Options
    No.

Edit:

However, I believe that a doll isn't going to make or break a child's weight. A child we are talking about. Someone who is raised by adults.

It is the adults responsibilities to teach the child. I am more concerned with generational habits from ALIVE people then a plastic doll.

If that was the case then I guess I would have been striving to be this unrealistic Barbie with unrealistic measurements that they say can not be achieved by the average or woman in general.

That did not influence me. But that is me. Perhaps I'm stronger than most and love myself. And guess where I got that from.... the people who raised me.

Oh no, I completely agree with you on that. I'm just saying that the doll is a part of this insane culture we're living in now and it just keeps getting worse. Wasn't really saying the doll would cause obesity or anything.
  • Dimpleschick55
    Dimpleschick55 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of Barbie. She started off as an impossible roll model for girls (if we can even use that term to describe a doll).
    I just don't think the world would respect a woman in a pink business suit with teeny-tiny feet and teeny-tiny hands holding a pink briefcase and driving a pink plastic Maserati no matter what her size.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    No.

Edit:

It is the adults responsibilities to teach the child. I am more concerned with generational habits from ALIVE people then a plastic doll.

Oh no, I completely agree with you on that. I'm just saying that the doll is a part of this insane culture we're living in now and it just keeps getting worse. Wasn't really saying the doll would cause obesity or anything.

My bad. I tend to play devil's advocate a lot and most will see that. lol

:flowerforyou:
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Haven't we already determined that the traditional Barbie has an impossible body type?

This. Traditional Barbie is just as problematic IMO as an overweight Barbie.
  • schmetterling1
    schmetterling1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of Barbie. She started off as an impossible roll model for girls (if we can even use that term to describe a doll).
    I just don't think the world would respect a woman in a pink business suit with teeny-tiny feet and teeny-tiny hands holding a pink briefcase and driving a pink plastic Maserati no matter what her size.

Hmmm didn't they make a movie about this.....Legally Blonde. Lol

Carry on.