Want to start Stronglifts but keep working out 5x week

Options
Hi, I'm 5'6, 142lbs, currently doing self designed split routine 5x a week, mon-fri. My goal is to lose body fat and get down to about 130.

I find stronglifts appealing, But I am discouraged by the program being designed for 3 sessions a week only. I Am used to working out 5 days a week and enjoy it a lot. I know the days off are designed for rest, But could I still do some work, Maybe isolation? I don't want to do cardio, as I find it boring (I have knee issues and can only use elliptical on medium settings or treadmills for walking, no impact exercise). I used to do a full hour of elliptical back when I started going gym and have no idea how I got through it.

If you have any experience or any suggestions on what I could do on my days off, I'm all ears:)

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Workouts are designed the way they are for a reason. If you don't do the workout as designed, you are subverting the results that have been obtained by many peoople that have done the program successfully. Right in the faq, he says to do the program as designed. If you add in isolation exercises on off days, your muscles are never going to be able to recover. If the muscles can't recover, they can't grow, you are more prone to injury, and you will stall out on the lifts, then go on the internet and write disparaging remarks, "don't do SL , I tried it and it didn't do anything at all for me." If you HAVE to do something on off days, do HIIT and maybe some Ab work. I would suggest bicycling with HIIT since you have some knee issues. or else swimming.

You start out slow, so initially you will feel like you are not working out as hard as you could, but the weight piles up quickly. After doing if for a month or so you MIGHT consider doing some body weight exercises, such as pull ups, dips, pushups, but I don't think isolation exercises would be benficiial.
    If you really want a 5 day a week program, I am sure you can find one on bodybuilding.com, such as the ones here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw94.htm

Mike
  • Matt24442
    Matt24442 Posts: 324
    Options
    Do stronglifts for the 3 days as prescribed, then the other two days: Do some hiit, go for a run, do some yoga. You'll want the 48 hours in between lifting sessions.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Recovery is part of the program, so I would not do accessory lifts on off days. That subverts that recovery portion.

Regarding the above post, I would actually not recommend doing HIIT on your off days. Running, yoga, Pilates, anything else, would be okay.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 5x5 reps at a truly heavy weight for you, you'll need that day off.
  • Matt24442
    Options
    Recovery is part of the program, so I would not do accessory lifts on off days. That subverts that recovery portion.

Regarding the above post, I would actually not recommend doing HIIT on your off days. Running, yoga, Pilates, anything else, would be okay.

Why no hiit?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Don't do isolation or any other lifts in between the stronglifts workouts. If you feel like you CAN do more, you need to up the weight on your SL workouts.

You can do cardio (non-HIIT, regular cardio) on whatever days off you want.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Why no hiit?

If you're truly doing HIIT correctly it taxes the muscles the same as lifting, and requires the same rest time afterwards- so doing it in between is almost the same as lifting again.

Most people don't really do HIIT when they say they're doing it though. Like if someone says they're doing 30 mins of HIIT, it's not HIIT.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 5x5 reps at a truly heavy weight for you, you'll need that day off.

I agree with this. Both the Stronglifts A and Stronglifts B workout contain squats. I see no way that you could follow the program as designed and recover fully between workouts when squatting 5x5 with heavy weights, five days each week.

If you are worried about your knees, focus on low impact forms of cardio such as swimming.
  • Matt24442
    Options

Why no hiit?

If you're truly doing HIIT correctly it taxes the muscles the same as lifting, and requires the same rest time afterwards- so doing it in between is almost the same as lifting again.

Most people don't really do HIIT when they say they're doing it though. Like if someone says they're doing 30 mins of HIIT, it's not HIIT.

Sooo what if you lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday, do something Tuesday let's say, then Hiit on Saturday, that works? i realize it's the day after lifting but you have more time to recover until monday.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Why no hiit?

Sooo what if you lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday, do something Tuesday let's say, then Hiit on Saturday, that works? i realize it's the day after lifting but you have more time to recover until monday.

You can try and see how it feels- I would probably stack the HIIT right after my workout Friday and take the whole weekend or do cardio saturday but you can try it and see.
  • Matt24442
    Options

Why no hiit?

You can try and see how it feels- I would probably stack the HIIT right after my workout Friday and take the whole weekend or do cardio saturday but you can try it and see.

well typically Ill do hiit on tuesdays and saturdays, Im doing jason blaha's 5 x5 program, but on rest days (tuesday and thursday) i feel fine and on lifting days too. I do not think it\s really affected my lifting. Sorry for wrong info, OP.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Why no hiit?

If you wanted to do HIIT too, do HIIT on the same day as your lifting, and let the recovery day be a recovery day.
    That's what I've seen recommended, but I do not do HIIT, so maybe someone can back me up or correct me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Both the Stronglifts A and Stronglifts B workout contain squats. I see no way that you could follow the program as designed and recover fully between workouts when squatting 5x5 with heavy weights, five days each week.

If you are worried about your knees, focus on low impact forms of cardio such as swimming.

This is my main beef with Stronglifts, that it has squats every lifting day. I get that it keeps it simple with heavy compounds, but a traditional body part split makes soooo much more sense. If you do a 3, 4, or 5 day split where each day is a separate muscle group, then that muscle group has much more time to recover before it has to be worked out again meaning you can hit that muscle group as hard as possible and not have to worry about hitting it again in 2 days...
  • MoreBean13
    Options

This is my main beef with Stronglifts, that it has squats every lifting day. I get that it keeps it simple with heavy compounds, but a traditional body part split makes soooo much more sense. If you do a 3, 4, or 5 day split where each day is a separate muscle group, then that muscle group has much more time to recover before it has to be worked out again meaning you can hit that muscle group as hard as possible and not have to worry about hitting it again in 2 days...

The format of SL works really well though for people who are relatively new to lifting- the squats every workout are ok when you're not lifting THAT much weight- your legs can handle it. I think pretty much everyone serious will come to a point where they can't make forward progress anymore without splitting it up, but it's really good until you stall out. It's soooo much more simple than other splits. I was successful at it for probably a year (though I will always argue that chin ups or pull ups need to be in that program)
  • Matt24442
    Options

Why no hiit?

If you wanted to do HIIT too, do HIIT on the same day as your lifting, and let the recovery day be a recovery day.
    That's what I've seen recommended, but I do not do HIIT, so maybe someone can back me up or correct me.

Ive heard that too, but ive also seen: lift 3 days a week, hiit twice for the best results of fat loss. Though I don't do hiit on lift days because blaha's 5 x5, which is essentially stronglifts with accessory work, takes about 70-80 minutes to complete and i am pretty gassed afterwards. So usually i just leave it for the day after. But i do want to know too now.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The format of SL works really well though for people who are relatively new to lifting- the squats every workout are ok when you're not lifting THAT much weight- your legs can handle it. I think pretty much everyone serious will come to a point where they can't make forward progress anymore without splitting it up, but it's really good until you stall out. It's soooo much more simple than other splits. I was successful at it for probably a year (though I will always argue that chin ups or pull ups need to be in that program)

See I actually completely disagree with this, the structure of stronglifts 5x5 lends itself more to a moderate-advanced program, for the following reasons:

• Compound work is generally not for newbies, that's isolation work on machines. Compounds require nuances and an understanding of proper form.
    • Heavy compound work requires even more advanced knowledge. Form has to be perfect to avoid injury. You have to have experience and confidence to know your limits. This reason alone makes it at least a moderately advanced workout.
    • Simplicity of the routine does not equal newbie friendly, the simplicity is deceptively hard. It does require discipline to follow it exactly and an advanced understanding of the importance of rest/recovery to not modify it, as we've seen in this thread.
    • I think a person can disagree with squat frequency but the program makes the argument this is the most important exercise and people can handle the frequency/progression. This may just be a philosophical difference but does not indicate the routine is less advanced.
  • MercilessOne1
    Options
    I used to do the StrongLifts program it was a godsend it ramped by Deadlift, Squat and Bench Press to over 300lbs each in a matter of months. But I didn't ONLY do StongLifts, cause i felt like I'd be short changing myself if j didn't go hard in the gym for the majority of the week (4 to 5 days). So if you want to go the gym more than the 3 days the program says you should go ahead, just make sure you give 100% everyday you hit the gym. I'd recommend doing exercises that compliment the stronglifts stuff on the other days: CrossFit WODs are good short workouts that make sure you don't burnout the next day.
  • MercilessOne1
    Options
    Totally disagree with all that nonsense about StrongLifts being for intermediate to advanced trainers, it's a program that works for EVERYONE from the DAY 1 Beginner to the GYM IS MY LIFE Gym Bunny. It's one of the best programs for getting stronger no matter what level you are.

To say that compound exercises are for experienced lifters is just proof of how ignorant you are to the basics of weight-lifting, Compound Exercises are the bread and butter of weight-lifting, they are the foundation of any workout program, and a must for beginners and experienced lifters alike.
  • jackr88
    jackr88 Posts: 13
    Options

Why no hiit?

well typically Ill do hiit on tuesdays and saturdays, Im doing jason blaha's 5 x5 program, but on rest days (tuesday and thursday) i feel fine and on lifting days too. I do not think it\s really affected my lifting. Sorry for wrong info, OP.

If you are doing the ICF / JFTV 5x5 created by Jason and can still lift in between - I would suggest you are not doing the workout correctly either in regards to volume (not doing 5 full working sets as well as warm ups) or you're simply not lifting heavy enough.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the answers!

It is pretty much what I thought, will have to treat the rest days as such, but the swimming is not a bad idea. Unfortunately I can't handle bike, but swimming could be great!

I will think about doing strong lifts some more as I really want to work out 5 days a week and if I can't, this may not be the program for me like one poster said.

All the feedback has been very useful, thank you!