Where is your barbell equipment at home? :D

Options
Or will I be the only one with a big ole barbell in the middle of my living room? I finally broke down and got one for my glute bridges. Everything else I could cover with dumbbells, etc.

Please tell me y'all just stick them in your kitchens or odd corners, because mine is not going to have its own special room, lol. There's no room for all that :D

Replies

• trkinsky
    trkinsky Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have my bench, barbells, and curl bar in my basement. I rarely use them as I have migrated to mostly kettlebells, dumbells, and body weight exercises. My floor is covered with gym padding and the exercise area is 12X24.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I have my bench, barbells, and curl bar in my basement. I rarely use them as I have migrated to mostly kettlebells, dumbells, and body weight exercises. My floor is covered with gym padding and the exercise area is 12X24.

That's huge! That would be very cool. I have a 'cellar' instead of a basement, and I do my gymnastics on my lawn (I have acres of lawn at least ;) ).
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could you get a nice shed to lift in?
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Haha, if I didn't have a basement I'd probably put it in the living room. But hey, you do what you gotta do!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha my barbell and first wee plates were scattered in various parts of my livingroom and hall too, till the squat weight got too heavy to lift over my head and I had to bite the bullet and get a rack. Everything's in my dad's garage now (and it's awesome). Wish I had room for it all at home - is the ceiling in your cellar high enough to set something up down there?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Haha my barbell and first wee plates were scattered in various parts of my livingroom and hall too, till the squat weight got too heavy to lift over my head and I had to bite the bullet and get a rack. Everything's in my dad's garage now (and it's awesome). Wish I had room for it all at home - is the ceiling in your cellar high enough to set something up down there?

No, not really. It's just for tornadoes, basically.

The shed thing is funny! Too hot. I do have a tall gazebo, so maybe I could have a lifting gazebo :D I could lift in my winter coat!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the would-be-nursery for now. When/if that room is needed for its original intended purpose I plan to move the weights to the garage.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the would-be-nursery for now. When/if that room is needed for its original intended purpose I plan to move the weights to the garage.

^This was me, too!

Then my daughter came along in August and now my weights room is her nursery.

I relocated my rack to my Dad's garage/workshop. I prefer it tbh. You have to show up early (to avoid being a pain in the *kitten* to other people) and you have to wrap up warm, but it feels gnarlier than lifting in my flat and helps me get into a better frame of mind.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    2naupeg.jpg

I'm so happy with it :)
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have all my exercise equipment (dumbells, kettlebells, physioball, mat, barbells, etc) on a spare room that I also use as a home office. I don't have to bring clients here, so it works for me.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Mine shares space with a row of gorilla shelves in a spare room off the garage. It's tight, but functional.
  • bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just moved so mine are stacked neatly on the garage floor between the spare bedroom set and my workbench. :grumble:

Crazy idea here... Is the floor of your cellar dirt per chance? Do you need to do a bit of cardio on your non-lifting days for the next 6-8 weeks? Could do your own HIIT training of shovel throws, dirt bucket squats and wheel barrow carries until you have enough height down there... Just don't hose up the area supporting the foundation of your house!

Lay in a plywood floor or pour yourself a 4" slab when you're done. (We made due with what we had when I was growing up... I'm just sayin'....)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mine has its own special room!

when we moved house last year the husband wanted a garage for the car, i wanted a room to make into a gym.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I used to keep mine in the living room of my flat lol

Now I mainly do kettlebells with a few dumbbells thrown in, so I hide them in the spare room between workouts.

We're moving house at the end of this year and my 2 primary requirements are a dishwasher and a garage for a home gym!
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for my barbell/rack equipment now after reading some of these posts.

I leave mine outside under a covered area. The weights and rack have a bit of surface rust and the bench has a tear, it is all very ugly looking. But it works nicely because the weights are still nice and heavy ;)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for my barbell/rack equipment now after reading some of these posts.

I leave mine outside under a covered area. The weights and rack have a bit of surface rust and the bench has a tear, it is all very ugly looking. But it works nicely because the weights are still nice and heavy ;)

It works for prisons!
  • Teeganv85
    Teeganv85 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I live in a one bedroom unit - so mine is currently sitting in the middle of my living room :)
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have a small den and keep a small rack of weights in the corner. It holds 5 different weights and doesn't take up much space. It's where I workout so they are close by...my family just said, please get the weights off the floor to avoid stubbed toes. ; )
    I wouldn't have room for a "total gym" type of machine.
    I keep two larger barbell weights in a closet since I don't use them as often.
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    they are in a milk crate in a spare room I have an exercise bike in there and I want to get a bar and weight bench for stronglift program but that has to wait till i'm not broke. I have a heavy bag and a chin up bar in my basement I found a milk crate full of plate i need a bar to use them and probably more weight.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Mine is out in the garage. If I had a spare bedroom that wasn't occupied by a kid I would totally make that room a weights room. Guess I can do that in 18 years from now ;)