How many times are you gonna do DAY 1 over again?

Options

Replies

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes. For me, there are different levels of Day 1. There was Day 1 in 2012 where I made the first conscious effort in years. There was Day 1 in the summer of 2013 where I hit a really bad low and decided the only thing I had control over was what I ate and how I exercised. There was Day 1 this week when I realized I have been slacking off and its time to refocus on the things I'm doing. I'll keep doing Day 1, in whatever form, until I lose these last 60lbs.
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Every day is Day 1 for me. I have to make the conscious decision to get up, workout, choose foods that will sustain me without derailing me, pass on fancy coffees and 500 calorie muffins, and do it all again the next day.

I don't care how many Day 1's I have because that means I'm still committed and still trying to be a healthier me.

As for epiphanies to my weight loss-I had one in October and two weeks later, I was here and on my way.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    for me that is not a healthy way of thinking. In the past, I didn't really "diet" much but I viewed dieting/healthy eating as all or nothing. I would resolve on a random Tuesday to "stop eating crappy" and then with no real knowledge or guidance I'd have a few days of restricting myself to salads and fruit and get fed up with that and "fall off the wagon". I understand that food can be an addiction blah blah blah, but to me no...Day 1 would be like sobriety type thinking. For me it's all fluid. In any given month I'll have a few slip ups.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    For me, and ALWAYS for me.

EVERY SINGLE DAY is day 1.

Every single bite is the bridge to going back to not caring about what I eat, what I do, etc.

So you know what? I do day 1:

365 days a year. 366 some years. And I'm cool with that:) Because this is a LIFETIME not a flipping race. And I have that in my head- and not always am I perfect- sometimes I slip- some months I slip and have to backtrack time...but hey...it's all about

"fall down 7 times, stand up 8"
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Never.

There is no day 1.

There is only life and how you choose to live it. A healthy lifestyle has a start - birth and a finish - death.

I agree - there is no spoon!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I don't accept your premise. While you could argue what constitutes day 1, I think most would agree that "Day 1" implies a change in mindset. I don't think many people change their mindset with that kind of frequency.

We make up our mind to change, and we sustain effort towards our goals with varying degrees of success, depending on how focused we are each day.

If you're wondering how many times it takes for people to consciously refocus themselves and remotivate themselves, then I'd have to agree with everyone, as many times as it takes. Some days we put in more effort, we work harder, we do "one more" at the gym, some days we don't.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Isn't everyday DAY1? That is how I look at it. I will do it at least today. Then as the Day 1's string together the health improves and weight goes down.

Every day is day one for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about having a bad day or weekend, I'm talking about restarting DAY 1 over again after giving up after a week, a month, or 6 months? Is your attitude really different this time or are you just gonna take another shot and see what happens?
    Just something to think about as this new year gets started.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    so you're telling people not to bother unless they are 100% sure? What a strange attitude from a personal trainer. Even failure is useful from failure you learn from yourself. By trying and even failing you are doing more than most people. You do not give up or not start something because there is chance of failure otherwise no one would even bother to get out of bed failure should be accepted for what it teaches and in the knowledge that from failure comes success
    It's not about bothering to even start, but a more concise look at the actual approach. Failure is going to happen. No one meets everyday perfect consistently and even with those who are consistent run into bad days and weeks. Getting people who quit or give up after things aren't going well is who this is for. It's never going to be perfect. Even fitness/bodybuilding competitors (whom I believe are the most anal about food intake and exercise) aren't and they sometimes miss peaking when they need it the most.
    Most people have desire. Not everyone has commitment. Hopefully some will look at this attempt with more commitment, then just desire.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Let's see.......I started after my kiddo was born because honestly that is what made me change.

Have I had days where I have fallen down? Yes
    Have I had days where I have said "why the heck am I doing this and eating that?" Yes
    Have I had days where I wanted to walk away? You bet

But have I? Nope. Reason: my kiddo and myself, as well as my husband. It's going to take a lot more days to keep going, and I am still committed.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    so you're telling people not to bother unless they are 100% sure? What a strange attitude from a personal trainer. Even failure is useful from failure you learn from yourself. By trying and even failing you are doing more than most people. You do not give up or not start something because there is chance of failure otherwise no one would even bother to get out of bed failure should be accepted for what it teaches and in the knowledge that from failure comes success

No I think the idea is to give up the day one start over. The idea is not to start over a diet every time you make a mistake but to change your eating and exercise habits for good. Then there is no start over, you just continue on with your healthy lifestyle.
    THIS. Make the start and finish regardless of obstacles and setbacks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hey I say life happens sometimes. Since thanksgiving I was off my game. Still keeping close to my calories needed but really slacking on exercise. I got on the game again dec 26th but I dont really consider it day 1.

I dont think it matters as long as they you whatever decides to try again. Its when they give up all together is when no change will be made.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes. Otherwise I am quitter.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about having a bad day or weekend, I'm talking about restarting DAY 1 over again after giving up after a week, a month, or 6 months? Is your attitude really different this time or are you just gonna take another shot and see what happens?

IDEA Fitness member

Don't suppose you're involved in the Adopt-a-noob (aka adopt-a-fool) program. I was all fired up to get snarky and realised what you said struck a chord somewhere...I think I detected the distant toll of a bell ringing. I need YOU to kick my white English....erm...*kitten*.
  • jammallnyte
    jammallnyte Posts: 26 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

LUNK ALARM!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

But if you have to keep starting it again then you are a quitter by definition.

If at first you don't succeed, slap yourself across the face and do it properly.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    Isn't everyday DAY1? That is how I look at it. I will do it at least today. Then as the Day 1's string together the health improves and weight goes down.

THIS...just for TODAY I can do the right thing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

If at first you don't succeed, slap yourself across the face and do it properly.

Lol! Schooled...
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    you see the glass as "half empty" dont you?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

barney-funny-high-five-how-i-met-your-mother-lmfao-Favim.com-184878.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Don't suppose you're involved in the Adopt-a-noob (aka adopt-a-fool) program. I was all fired up to get snarky and realised what you said struck a chord somewhere...I think I detected the distant toll of a bell ringing. I need YOU to kick my white English....erm...*kitten*.
    I've adopted a lot of noobs and have given tons of free information via PM over the time I've been here. I CAN'T dedicate my time to any one or two people though. I have barely enough time to write up and assess my own clients and new clients as of now.

IDEA Fitness member