constipation....BEWARE....MAYBE TMI FOR SOME!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I havent read the whole thread to see if this has been mentioned, but have you started any new meds recently? I was recently prescribed an anxiety med and all of a sudden I started experiencing constipation (worse than what I usually struggle with anyway!!!) and I read the side effects, and lo and behold.....its a side effect of the med Im on.

Colace is great (for me anyway) and its something my doctor has me take regularly. Good luck, I know how miserable it feels :(

Kristen

I hadn't thought of meds--some meds I had taken in the past had made me sleepy.
  • WisteriaLady
    WisteriaLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is old but thought this might help others. Prune juice is brilliant for constipation, I suffer from ibs and it helps me lots. Not the nicest thing you will ever taste but you dont need alot
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of chocolate ice cream followed by a cup of coffee works wonders for everyone in my family.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    FlaxMilk wrote: »
    Since you have been backed up for so long, if a dose of the laxative doesn't work, you may want to consider doing the colonoscopy clean out protocol. You can find it online (only use ones from recognized medical sites) and they have them for children or adults. It doesn't sound like fiber is your problem.

Have you changed your routine at all? Stopped exercising as much or sitting more often?

Definitely start with something like miralax or a generic of it, you don't want something harsh and senna based.

I definitely would say that if this doesn't work out for you, or only relieves it temporarily, talk to your doctor. I'm experiencing gastrointestinal issues myself, and am quite versed in the varying colonoscopy preps, and am working now with a specialty GI doctor.

Good luck!

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Papayas always help. And plain black coffee.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @djwife03 Since you're already backed up, if you're desperate just try a glycerin suppository or a fleet enema. And then just chug water like it's going out of style. I hardly eat any carbs, fruits or fiber at all and am NEVER constipated because of the enormous amounts of water that I drink.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sucks! Been there!
    Recommend taking Metamucil tablets in the evening (psyillium husk) 5-6 of them should do it.
    In the morning try some coffee or other highly-caffeinated beverage, along with a ton of water, and wait for the magic to happen. lol
  • tamaraanthony2273
    Options
    Been there. Unlike you, I have dealt with issues since I was a small girl. Best things for me, an apple a day (I spurge from my 25 grams of sugar). Try this product, Metamucil Clear Natural, you can drink it in water and no taste - 5 grams of fiber/tsp and no sugar. Also I like Smooth Move Tea, for me it is gentle and comforting. Keep drinking and try to get a routine, up at the same time each day.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    crisb2 wrote: »
    @djwife03 Since you're already backed up,...
    Given that this thread was started in January I think that djwife03 may have a serious problem if she's still backed up. Ten months is a really long time to hold onto your poop.

These TMI/constipation threads should have closure. The OP should come back waving a flag shouting, "I'm good, I went twice today!".
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hormones can sometimes cause constipation I never had a problem with it in my LIFE but with being in my 40s and perimenopause, I sometimes get constipated before my period. Recently it got so bad that I couldn't even pee because of the internal pressure that had built up from being impacted. THAT as scary. I wound up doing a fleet enema and I had to do it a few days in a row. Now I'm EXTRA careful to make sure I'm staying on top of things and making sure I don't let it get to that point.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    espresso and a cigarette, dried apricots, panda licorice, water, ginger tea, magnesium citrate, papaya, busch light, chunky almond butter,hummus, coconut oil, coffee with a tablespoon butter, running. stay away from cheese , smooth peanut butter white bread and over cooked meat.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    crisb2 wrote: »
    @djwife03 Since you're already backed up,...
    Given that this thread was started in January I think that djwife03 may have a serious problem if she's still backed up. Ten months is a really long time to hold onto your poop.

These TMI/constipation threads should have closure. The OP should come back waving a flag shouting, "I'm good, I went twice today!".

SORRY... geez! If someone else looks it up for reference they'll have the answer anyways. Cool your pants.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I'm not upset. Just having some fun. Should have used a smiley. Here you go :)