HELP! How can I kick my sugar addiction?

Options
1235»

Replies

• saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    Okay. This thread is, in my opinion, getting out of control.

For those of you who offered constructive ideas, I really appreciate them. I've taken a lot from your posts and I've been encouraged today and (at least for today) I've managed to come in 7 grams UNDER my MFP recommended sugar intake. (I stayed within my other nutrients and calories too!)

For the rest of you: I found a lot of the bickering and many of your attitudes to be hurtful and destructive. Your 1-2 line comments about how I clearly don't know as much as you because I'm in a tough situation are unnecessary. I obviously realize I screwed up, and that's why I came to this thread. I have no problem with people telling me where I'm wrong but please be considerate.

I agree people are not on here to help but judge and put their 2 sense in , good luck with your weight loss and take one day at a time
    Thanks again to those of you who seriously tried to help. I'm going to steer clear of this thread now.
  • saradord
    Options
    also being a women our hormones effect everything , including weight, so maybe you can eat ice cream in bed but I cannot,

That is false.
    have you done your research to support that response? your response is funny cause I experience gain weight once a month withought changing my diet or excercise schedule . lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    also being a women our hormones effect everything , including weight, so maybe you can eat ice cream in bed but I cannot,

That is false.
    have you done your research to support that response? your response is funny cause I experience gain weight once a month withought changing my diet or excercise schedule . lol

I hate to break it to you, but your montly weight gain has nothing to do with what time of day you ate ice cream.
  • saradord
    Options

That is false.

Obviously I'm not talking about that any more!!!!

I hate to break it to you, but your montly weight gain has nothing to do with what time of day you ate ice cream.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I thought meal timing was specifically what we were talking about. I'm not interested in hearing, or talking, about your menstrual cycle.

Also: I realize you're new, but please post your replies at the bottom. When you embed them into the middle of the quoted posts, it makes it very difficult to figure out which words are yours.
  • saradord
    Options

That is false.

I believe I'm doing fine with my weight los swe are 2 different people that have different goals and opinions which I guess we both think we are right , good luck to you !!
  • saradord
    Options

That is false.

I believe I'm doing fine with my weight los swe are 2 different people that have different goals and opinions which I guess we both think we are right , good luck to you !!
  • KittiePerry
    KittiePerry Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You could always try gum! Its sugary and comes in a LOT of different flavors! Or yogurts! :)
    Good luck!
  • addercatx
    Options
    Not to sound all new age-y on you, but I get acupuncture every week for plantar fasciitis and a couple of weeks ago he started putting needles in my ear (right?!) to help with my sugar addiction. I don't know how or why or if it's just a mental thing but it's been working. I still have sugar cravings but it's not like OMG IF I DON'T HAVE SUGAR NOW I'LL DIE or anything. :)

Another thing I do is buy 88% dark chocolate. I like a brand called Endangered Species because they're individually wrapped squares (pretty big though) and they're 50 calories.

Also, Teeccino is delcious -- it's herbal coffee, kind of a tea coffee hybrid. It's also decaf, so I love to mix it with some rice or almond milk, add a little Tru Whip and stevia, and it's SO good.

Good luck!
  • clarebigbelly
    clarebigbelly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and there is no reliable documentation of sugar addiction in humans. Unless you have a medical condition, you can eat all types of foods and there is no reason to permanently eliminate items. If your goal is to lose weight, the only thing you need is a calorie deficit. Many times, people set unreasonable goals that do not teach them anything about making major behavior changes.

Read this link and all of the links in it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

This. It isn't an addiction. And it's all about portion control.

Whilst sugar alone may not be an addiction, it is possible to be addicted to chemicals in processed foods. That is documented and researched. Google 'MSG obesity induced mice'. Eating carb-rich foods can get you Locked in a cycle very cumulate to addiction. You eat lots of processed food chemically designed to taste good the moment you eat then but are empty of real nutrition so whilst you get fat and want more your body is starving of nutrition. Same with sugar, you eat something sugary, your pancreas pumps insulin to meet the sugar in order to turn it ink glucose which provides the body with energy. If you are not exercising and/or eating more sugar than your body needs then that glucose is turned to fat. The body is a machine.

Watch 'hungry for change'
  • christinacholoves
    Options
    I used to be an ice cream / candy addict. To the point where if i didnt eat it, i'd get terrible headaches... but i CRAVED it. so i totally know what you're going through. What really helped me was by replacing my sweettoothe craving with something healthy but also sweet like a shake. I got into shakeology (which tastes like a chocolate milk shake), and every morning i basically psyche myself into thinking it's a dessert... BECAUSE IT TASTES LIKE ONE. So good! you can read more info here about it's nutritional benefits. as well.
  • Lukes_Dove
    Lukes_Dove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I found success in a sugar fast. Basically, Monday through Saturday, I allowed no sugar (or corn syrup, etc.) in my foods/drinks. Sundays I could eat whatever I wanted. I did it for one month. The second week was the WORST. But, afterwards, it really helped tone down my sweet tooth.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Sugar is a carb and there is no reliable documentation of sugar addiction in humans. Unless you have a medical condition, you can eat all types of foods and there is no reason to permanently eliminate items. If your goal is to lose weight, the only thing you need is a calorie deficit. Many times, people set unreasonable goals that do not teach them anything about making major behavior changes.

Read this link and all of the links in it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

This. It isn't an addiction. And it's all about portion control.

Whilst sugar alone may not be an addiction, it is possible to be addicted to chemicals in processed foods. That is documented and researched. Google 'MSG obesity induced mice'. Eating carb-rich foods can get you Locked in a cycle very cumulate to addiction. You eat lots of processed food chemically designed to taste good the moment you eat then but are empty of real nutrition so whilst you get fat and want more your body is starving of nutrition. Same with sugar, you eat something sugary, your pancreas pumps insulin to meet the sugar in order to turn it ink glucose which provides the body with energy. If you are not exercising and/or eating more sugar than your body needs then that glucose is turned to fat. The body is a machine.

It's not addiction, it's habit.
  • pianochick5254
    Options
    Apple and carrots. They are so sweet, and still healthy.

Does that actually work for people? I know that, for me, when I want a piece of chocolate or some Mike & Ike's, an apple does absolutely nothing for the craving.

That's what I was thinking when someone first told me to eat fruit. It never worked for me, but when I started adding it in as a normal part of my diet instead of a substitution for a craving, my sweet cravings went away. I damn near ALWAYS have fruit for breakfast. Usually quite a bit too and if I do crave during the day it's for savory items, never sweet. That's just my experience with it though.

Also - the days I don't eat hardly any fruit in the mornings, I end up eating sweets before the end of the day. It's like I'll die without them. Last night it was a donut.

And to the OP - I really think you should talk to someone and do your research before completely cutting out all sources of sugar in your diet. You need at least a little bit and I was told (may or may not be true) that the number given on MFP is only relevant to added refined sugars, not natural sugars.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Feeding cravings - with anything- only perpetuates the problem.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

miley-haha-no.gif