Options
    This could use a fresh bump.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good list, except cardio is not necessary. I got to 10% bf at 47 with zero cardio, but I agree with the rest of the list.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »
    Good list, except cardio is not necessary. I got to 10% bf at 47 with zero cardio, but I agree with the rest of the list.

:laugh: Everyone has an issue with the cardio point. It is not necessary. Some people may find it helpful, such as a short female who would like to eat more. Or someone who would like the added cardiovascular benefits of cardio (above and beyond what lifting can do to improve cardiovascular health).
  • lexi3500
    lexi3500 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Wow u look great
  • lexi3500
    Options
    Yes I want a nice stomach . How u do it ?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    lexi3500 wrote: »
    Yes I want a nice stomach . How u do it ?

@lexi3500 read the first post, it's got all the information you'll need: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • lexi3500
    Options
    Thanks for the info... I'll put that in mind?
  • erzadel
    erzadel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So TDEE-20% for me is 1120 calories... As I am a shorter sedentary skinny fat person, what should my calorie goal look like?

I've been trying to avoid adding exercise to the equation because I'm scared of hurting myself lifting heavy (I know, I know, but fear is irrational). However as I don't have a lot to lose in the first place, lifting heavy is advice I see repeated a lot. I know SL 5x5 is always recommended but I'm still overwhelmed by that... Any other good programs to start with? I can barely do reps with a 10lbs dumbbell, should I just jump right into it? Time for me to get a gym membership LOL
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    erzadel wrote: »
    So TDEE-20% for me is 1120 calories... As I am a shorter sedentary skinny fat person, what should my calorie goal look like?

I've been trying to avoid adding exercise to the equation because I'm scared of hurting myself lifting heavy (I know, I know, but fear is irrational). However as I don't have a lot to lose in the first place, lifting heavy is advice I see repeated a lot. I know SL 5x5 is always recommended but I'm still overwhelmed by that... Any other good programs to start with? I can barely do reps with a 10lbs dumbbell, should I just jump right into it? Time for me to get a gym membership LOL

20% is a little too aggressive for the amount that you have to lose, @erzadel . Try -15% or just take 250 cals off your TDEE.
  • usmcmp
    Options

@erzadel How much are you looking to lose? If it's less than 10 pounds then it's probably best to just take 250 calories off and lift. I actually suggest you start with something else instead of SL5x5. There are a variety of beginner programs and programs that are designed for female beginners on Bodybuilding.com. They also have dumbbell workouts for beginners. It's a good place to get comfortable with form because they have videos for nearly everything.
  • erzadel
    erzadel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

@erzadel How much are you looking to lose? If it's less than 10 pounds then it's probably best to just take 250 calories off and lift. I actually suggest you start with something else instead of SL5x5. There are a variety of beginner programs and programs that are designed for female beginners on Bodybuilding.com. They also have dumbbell workouts for beginners. It's a good place to get comfortable with form because they have videos for nearly everything.

I don't have a set goal weight but I don't want to lose more than 10lbs, that would put me at 100lbs (I'm 5'2"). TDEE-250 is not much better, that's 1151 for me. Or would that be ok? I'm fairly lean overall but I seriously look like ET with my stomach!

Awesome, thank you for the website recommendation! When do you suggest moving beyond dumbbells?
  • usmcmp
    Options

I don't have a set goal weight but I don't want to lose more than 10lbs, that would put me at 100lbs (I'm 5'2"). TDEE-250 is not much better, that's 1151 for me. Or would that be ok? I'm fairly lean overall but I seriously look like ET with my stomach!

Awesome, thank you for the website recommendation! When do you suggest moving beyond dumbbells?

I think a better suggestion is to eat at maintenance and not lose weight. This is known as recomposition, where you maintain weight while losing fat and building muscle.

As for moving beyond dumbbells, when you are comfortable starting with a barbell it's a good idea to use it. Dumbbells can stay part of your programming forever. Barbells just use the muscles in a different way.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I have a bit of weight to lose and I started lifting 5 days a week June 5 with this new program. I love, love, love it. I now have decided that I want to really focus in on getting my protein in (which I'm terrible at) and losing about 30pds. I have been very sloppy at doing anything with my food the last month, so starting fresh again.

I really want to get the food amounts down, but always struggle with it. I used the calculator in the first post you linked. Put in height, weight etc and I sit most of the day at a desk job. Initially I put in 5 days a week lifting at 45 mins a day. This is what I got:
    Your BMR is: 1753 Calories/Day 4159 Calories/Day
    Now I have read that strength training doesn't really burn calories, so I put in 60 mins for the cardio I do.
    Same BMR but now it's Your TDEE is: 2187 Calories/Day
    This seems way more reasonable.
    If I do the aggressive 20% reduction, I get
    1848Calories

Does this seem about right for the calculations? I could live with 1800 cals a day! Just want to make sure cause I am terrible with the calculations.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Isca_1 wrote: »
    Thanks for this! I have a bit of weight to lose and I started lifting 5 days a week June 5 with this new program. I love, love, love it. I now have decided that I want to really focus in on getting my protein in (which I'm terrible at) and losing about 30pds. I have been very sloppy at doing anything with my food the last month, so starting fresh again.

I really want to get the food amounts down, but always struggle with it. I used the calculator in the first post you linked. Put in height, weight etc and I sit most of the day at a desk job. Initially I put in 5 days a week lifting at 45 mins a day. This is what I got:
    Your BMR is: 1753 Calories/Day 4159 Calories/Day
    Now I have read that strength training doesn't really burn calories, so I put in 60 mins for the cardio I do.
    Same BMR but now it's Your TDEE is: 2187 Calories/Day
    This seems way more reasonable.
    If I do the aggressive 20% reduction, I get
    1848Calories

Does this seem about right for the calculations? I could live with 1800 cals a day! Just want to make sure cause I am terrible with the calculations.

If you are tall and relatively active 1800 calories is a reasonable amount. It's also just slightly over what they're saying your BMR is, so you should be losing weight on 1800. With this method you don't add extra calories when you exercise, it's a flat rate across the week.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I'm 5'8, which average I guess.

Wonderful, I will not add back any food from exercise and go with the flat rate of 1800. Re-evaluate in a month and adjust.

Thanks again!
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    rontafoya wrote: »

:laugh: Everyone has an issue with the cardio point. It is not necessary. Some people may find it helpful, such as a short female who would like to eat more. Or someone who would like the added cardiovascular benefits of cardio (above and beyond what lifting can do to improve cardiovascular health).

Hello!!! o:)