Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
  • goatsoapgirl
    goatsoapgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Walking did it for me .. 5 miles a day.. i jad a muffin top.. healthy eating and walking daily!!
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Walking my 10k steps in one go or two halves everyday helped me. It helped tone my upper arms and thighs/bum too. And improved my posture.

Running or biking isn't for everyone
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi usmcmp, great post. I do have a question about #4, because the wording is a little confusing to me. What if you just like a form of cardio such as running? Are you just saying all you need is an hour a week but more is fine, or are you suggesting that me going for a run a few times a week is actually counterproductive to me trying to get a flat stomach? If so, how would you suggest balancing the physique you want with the type of activities that you find enjoyable?

I seem to be doing a recomp (I am hovering at my current weight but losing inches) so I am either logging inaccurately or have incorrectly figured out my calorie/macro goals. I am going to use the calculator you suggested.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hi usmcmp, great post. I do have a question about #4, because the wording is a little confusing to me. What if you just like a form of cardio such as running? Are you just saying all you need is an hour a week but more is fine, or are you suggesting that me going for a run a few times a week is actually counterproductive to me trying to get a flat stomach? If so, how would you suggest balancing the physique you want with the type of activities that you find enjoyable?

I seem to be doing a recomp (I am hovering at my current weight but losing inches) so I am either logging inaccurately or have incorrectly figured out my calorie/macro goals. I am going to use the calculator you suggested.

If you enjoy running that's fine. My point with #4 (as I explained multiple times through the last 71 pages) is that there is a misconception that you get a flat and toned stomach through running, rather than through dieting and building muscle. There are people who do too much cardio and don't fuel their body enough so that the body starts using lean mass as fuel. That's when cardio can be counterproductive.

Cardio isn't necessary for fat loss. If you aren't losing weight you are eating at maintenance and logging is the usual culprit. If you enjoy running you could up your mileage while maintaining your current intake and you would lose, but at some point increased mileage makes it harder to be productive with lifting.
  • xchocolategirl
    xchocolategirl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump! :) this post is so helpful.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Great info!! I am learning to be patient and taking it one day at a time. In the past I wouldn't give it enough time and then quit, but I'm ditching those old habits.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I had a six pack through my early 30's. Super low body fat is the key.

Now that I'm a decade past that, maintaining that kind of 'look at me' physique is way too much work. I'm happy enough with a body that looks decent when clothed!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Now that I'm a decade past that, maintaining that kind of 'look at me' physique is way too much work. I'm happy enough with a body that looks decent when clothed!

Most people don't want visible abs, just to not have a belly bump in clothes. I don't see how having abs is a 'look at me' physique unless they're walking around everywhere with their shirt off. A little body confidence at the pool thanks to visible abs might be the icing on the cake and it really isn't that hard to maintain. If it is then your methods need adjusting.
  • kwaasen
    kwaasen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read the link about major calorie deficiency and cardio. I think it boils down to the sane advice of not having to big deficiency. Which we all know isn't a great idea.
    I really enjoyed this post!
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I want abs too! Nothing is hard to maintain when made a habit although I understand what it's meant by hard maintenance!
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I'm still entirely new to this! For number one (this might be a stupid question but work with me) on the calculator you linked in, what do the formulas mean?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Most people don't want visible abs, just to not have a belly bump in clothes. I don't see how having abs is a 'look at me' physique unless they're walking around everywhere with their shirt off. A little body confidence at the pool thanks to visible abs might be the icing on the cake and it really isn't that hard to maintain. If it is then your methods need adjusting.

I'd imagine most people DO want visible abs...

You are a young male, your sample size is skewed.
    Yep I’m a young female and I don’t give a *kitten* about having visible abs
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Oops didn’t realize I bumped this post. I thought it was stickied