Bump to recall info later!
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aliaslocke
    aliaslocke Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to share your success and knowledge, it is so incredibly helpful.
  • jadejames171
    jadejames171 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The problem is complex doesn't mean solution has to be complex, there are simpler solutions, Corex love handle workouts, core workouts can help to get a nice stomach. I can't ever maintain the diet thing, so solely focus on workouts,

Nevermind! You are just trying to sell Corex without violating the TOS by coming out and saying it. I saw that of your 9 posts 7 are about Corex.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just giving this a bump today.
  • usmcmp
    Options

There sure are a lot of threads about stomachs/belly fat lately.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

There sure are a lot of threads about stomachs/belly fat lately.

bikini season~
  • dreamydips
    dreamydips Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    liked it...
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaikaibeachtime
    kaikaibeachtime Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    What about it? There's nothing wrong with cardio. I suggested no more than an hour total for a week.
    That's the problem. You said:
    I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs.
    It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week
    No, 1 hour of walking isn't going to do much toward calorie burn (or cardiovascular health).
    That's why the recommendation from the CDC / NIH is 2.5 hours per week (30 minutes 5 days per week).
    Extended moderate-intensity exercise will help burn fat, which will eventually help in flattening the stomach.

Don't try to claim cardio "doesn't add much to the calorie burn".
    Today I did 45 minutes on the elliptical. I'm working my way up from 30 min every day.
    The machine said I burned 501 cal, MFP says I burned 730 cal.
    501 x 6 days per week = 3006, or 6/7 of a pound (not quite 14 oz) of fat gone _just_ from exercise.

To compare to weightlifting, yesterday I did 30 min on the elliptical (487 cal) and 35 min of weightlifting (189 cal).
    So the elliptical is about 2.5 x more efficient at burning calories than the weightlifting you're touting.

And exercise has other benefits than simply maintaining weight loss.

"[P]hysical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone"

"To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.htm
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    What about it? There's nothing wrong with cardio. I suggested no more than an hour total for a week.
    That's the problem. You said:
    I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs.
    It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week
    No, 1 hour of walking isn't going to do much toward calorie burn (or cardiovascular health).
    That's why the recommendation from the CDC / NIH is 2.5 hours per week (30 minutes 5 days per week).
    Extended moderate-intensity exercise will help burn fat, which will eventually help in flattening the stomach.

And exercise has other benefits than simply maintaining weight loss.

"[P]hysical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone"

"To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.htm

I covered all of that with the same website on page 11.

We've covered that one ad nauseam in the previous pages. I specifically stated that amount of cardio is what I personally do. You can do more or less. My point was that you do not HAVE to do cardio to lose fat. Many people are lead to believe that you have to do tons of cardio to lose fat. Feel free to scroll through the previous pages on the other reasons I suggest not doing tons of cardio. You lose fat through diet. You maintain muscle through resistance training. You improve cardiovascular health through cardio.

While I agree that cardio exercises improves your cardiovascular system to a greater degree than resistance training, you do get cardiovascular benefits from resistance training alone.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16307157
    resistance training significantly increased the VO2max from 26.674 ml/kg/min to 30.981 ml/kg/min

Also, you stated that my suggestions do not meet the minimal recommended activity level for the average person. In adults 18-64 here are the suggestions:
    http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
    1 hour and 15 minutes (75 minutes) of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity (i.e., jogging or running) every week and
    weight training (muscle-strengthening activities) on 2 or more days a week that work all major muscle groups (legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms).

Two sessions that last 30 minutes is just 15 minutes shy of the cardio minimum. If you had asked what my suggestions for strength training are I would say 4-5 sessions a week (preferably hitting all body parts twice a week). Since the study above states that resistance training does improve cardiovascular function I think it is safe to say that the additional 2-3 resistance training sessions a week would more than cover the 15 minutes that were not met doing cardio.

ETA: I'm not talking about a brisk walk for cardio. Cardio is vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    dear marine corp lady, do you mind sharing your current BF % in that picture? I would love to know so that I can get a rough idea about where I am. :):flowerforyou:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    dear marine corp lady, do you mind sharing your current BF % in that picture? I would love to know so that I can get a rough idea about where I am. :):flowerforyou:

My current profile picture is roughly 18% body fat. I have lots of volume in my abs, so they show well.
  • myjourney16
    myjourney16 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart: