You are a million times awesome
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump!!!
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for this post. So black and white. And so is fat loss...
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Using the ellipsis I'm not sure if you are serious or snarky. I think people over complicate the entire process. There are some people with medical conditions that have special conditions to be met, but for the majority of people they try to make it too complicated. Often when they get back to simply being accurate with tracking intake they start seeing results.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Using the ellipsis I'm not sure if you are serious or snarky. I think people over complicate the entire process. There are some people with medical conditions that have special conditions to be met, but for the majority of people they try to make it too complicated. Often when they get back to simply being accurate with tracking intake they start seeing results.

My observation which could be wrong is that people often confuse "simply" with "easy". Fat loss/weight loss should be a simple concept but it's not easy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.
    What about it? There's nothing wrong with cardio. I suggested no more than an hour total for a week.
    That's the problem. You said:
    I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs.
    It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week
    No, 1 hour of walking isn't going to do much toward calorie burn (or cardiovascular health).
    That's why the recommendation from the CDC / NIH is 2.5 hours per week (30 minutes 5 days per week).
    Extended moderate-intensity exercise will help burn fat, which will eventually help in flattening the stomach.

Don't try to claim cardio "doesn't add much to the calorie burn".
    Today I did 45 minutes on the elliptical. I'm working my way up from 30 min every day.
    The machine said I burned 501 cal, MFP says I burned 730 cal.
    501 x 6 days per week = 3006, or 6/7 of a pound (not quite 14 oz) of fat gone _just_ from exercise.

To compare to weightlifting, yesterday I did 30 min on the elliptical (487 cal) and 35 min of weightlifting (189 cal).
    So the elliptical is about 2.5 x more efficient at burning calories than the weightlifting you're touting.

And exercise has other benefits than simply maintaining weight loss.

"[P]hysical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone"

"To maintain your weight: work your way up to 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity, 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, or an equivalent mix of the two each week."
    (The page explains moderate & vigorous.)

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.htm

It still isn't a necessity for attaining "an aesthetic midsection". All it does is create a larger calorie deficit.

I'm not quite sure what you're attempting to prove by quoting "Physical activity reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and diabetes beyond that produced by weight reduction alone". Physical activity isn't cardiovascular specific.
  • vgutsal
    vgutsal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great thread with a lot of great info!
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Tagging for future reference
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Tag
  • Swest01
    Swest01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tagged...
  • scthomas100
    scthomas100 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love! Tag.
  • kateirving
    kateirving Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. It all makes sense, it just requires patience.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Bump....

Because I will more than likely need to find this again to share with others...

:heart: this, btw!
  • vickipatterson462
    vickipatterson462 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump!:happy:
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

Err... what? Cardio sessions do not add "much" to the calorie burn for the week? Hard to take the OP seriously after reading that
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    4. Cardio. I like cardio once or twice a week for 30 minutes. It's good for the heart and lungs. It doesn't add much to the calorie burn for the week, but it helps even things out in case you haven't been completely accurate weighing food.

Err... what? Cardio sessions do not add "much" to the calorie burn for the week? Hard to take the OP seriously after reading that

Then let me put your mind at ease.
    Context. Within the context of the original post, the statement is very valid.

However, feel free to choose a different route if you disagree. Different things work for different people for a variety of reasons. I get exactly what she's saying. My husband, also an ex-marine, is an old power lifter from the 80's.

Back in those days, they'd say 'I don't do cardio cause cardio steals my gains' :laugh:
    Hint: operative word; powerlifter.:wink:
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Then let me put your mind at ease.
    Context. Within the context of the original post, the statement is very valid.

So the statement 'Cardio does not add much to the calorie burn for the week' might be true depending on 'context'?

I guess the only thing left to do is to call the Nobel Prize committee and tell them to lock in this years Nobel Prize for Physics as the OP and your good self have found a way to violate the Laws of Thermodynamics. Congrats on your amazing discovery :-)

I look forward to your announcement of the first ever working perpetual motion machine!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Would you like to know why I said I personally only do a limited amount of cardio?

It's because my entire life I have been told that the way to lose weight is to go run. I was never told to eat less, just go run. As I have learned it's impossible to out run a bad diet. Even more than that if you are carefully monitoring food intake (like you would on a calorie counting website such as this) then cardio is great for the heart, but absolutely unnecessary for fat loss because you can create a calorie deficit through diet alone.

This post is to show others that they don't have to go run every day to get a nice stomach or lose belly fat. The main objectors to the point about cardio and enjoying some treats are women in their 40's or 50's who have been lead to believe that cardio and clean eating is essential for fat loss.

I'm not saying that we don't burn calories doing cardio, but monitoring our intake is FAR more important.
  • JesiDM
    JesiDM Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    For future references :)