HOW TO TURN YOUR BODY INTO A FAT BURNING FURNACE!

Options
13»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I do IF for the past few months and love it. It just simplifies life for me. I don't always train fasted but I have done so in the past and never felt my workouts suffered or were less productive.

This is me as well.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    congratulations - you learned how to create a calorie deficit using IF..

I have done it both ways...with IF and without IF...I just found that lean gains 18/8 was to hard to fit into my daily lifestyle so I went back to eating about four times a day. I still incorporate some of the concepts like having largest meal post workout and training semi-fasted....
  • REDMANIV
    REDMANIV Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this with us! You definitely do not deserve to catch any grief regardless of what title you chose for your post. You never know who you will help through your willingness to share your experiences with others. I have not really heard of IF prior to your post and I have recently fallen into a little slump in regards to my weight loss. Your post has lit something in me that wants to give this a try....thank you again and have a Happy New Year!
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Wow, lot of hate here. What he is doing not only works for him but will work for anyone. He is just using the natural biomechanics of the body, let me explain...

First and foremost caloric deficit is key as we all know for "weight loss".

Basically by working out in a fasted state you force you body to use a different fuel, stored fat. If you have eaten with in 4 gours of working out your body has stored glycogen that it uses for fuel. Also working out fasted means your Human Growth Hormones are elevated (good) youe Leptin levels are balanced (good) and you insulin resistance is heightened (good).

If all you want is weight loss you can use either method. If you want to keep all lean muscle andonly lose fat you may want to give lean gains a try.

Now the idea of working out when you're fasting makes much more sense to me. Maybe I should try that.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I have just never understood why eating say 2100 calories a day within 8 hours is any different to eating them within 12 hours, but I'll admit I am ignorant on the subject.

There is no difference - other than that it helps some people stick to a plan if that plan is very strict. At least for the short term.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you train fasted or not, makes absolutely no difference. I've hear the argument "if you train fasted then burn fat and not the food you ate" but that's complete bull. If you're eating at a deficit, you will net the same amount of fat loss at the end of the day whether you trained fasted or not. Just count calories, eat at a deficit, eat plenty of protein and fat, lift heavy weights, and you will cut fat

Can I ask something based on this logic??

If a person has fasted for 15 hrs, goes to the gym, does his/her workout.....
    Consisting of heavy lifting....or whatever form of lifting you like...

Where does the energy your body is using come from?

It will come from storage. The problem is you will have to eat again eventually. And then it will go right back into storage, unless you ate at a deficit.

But that's the same thing that would happen if you didn't fast 15 hours before working out and ate at a deficit. Over time averaged out, it is the same thing.

No one is saying it doesn't work, it is just a more effective way to create a deficit for some.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter if you train fasted or not, makes absolutely no difference. I've hear the argument "if you train fasted then burn fat and not the food you ate" but that's complete bull. If you're eating at a deficit, you will net the same amount of fat loss at the end of the day whether you trained fasted or not. Just count calories, eat at a deficit, eat plenty of protein and fat, lift heavy weights, and you will cut fat

Can I ask something based on this logic??

If a person has fasted for 15 hrs, goes to the gym, does his/her workout.....
    Consisting of heavy lifting....or whatever form of lifting you like...

Where does the energy your body is using come from?

It will come from storage. The problem is you will have to eat again eventually. And then it will go right back into storage, unless you ate at a deficit.

But that's the same thing that would happen if you didn't fast 15 hours before working out and ate at a deficit. Over time averaged out, it is the same thing.

No one is saying it doesn't work, it is just a more effective way to create a deficit for some.

Ok
    But with the LeanGains plan of eating, the point of eating a big meal after working consisting of high protein and high carbs, NOT fat is to make sure those things are not being put back into fat....but only replenishing glycogen.

So on my workout days, my goal is 3k calories...while my TDEE is prolly ~2700
    I have high protein and high carbs.....and ~60 gr or less of fat.

But on rest days, I am at about 2300 calories.....and most of that is fat and protein, and try to keep carbs low on those days....

Anyways, to each their own I guess....whatever works.

I know what I have been able to accomplish doing IF vs. what I was doing before....
    So I like it.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks so much for sharing! I've never believed that breakfast was so important and I often don't eat until 10am or so. With IF, does it matter when your 8 hr window is? If I eat at 10am for the first time, and stop eating by 6pm, is that just as good as 12pm-8pm? As long as I work out before eating, does it matter if I work out 6 hrs before eating or right before eating? I'd love to hear more. :)

For those who say it's JUST calorie deficit, and that is the ONLY thing that determines whether calories go into storage or not.... I'm sorry but that shows a lack of understanding of the human body. Not all calories are created equal. Not all calories cause the same reaction from your body. Sorry. :) I'm no expert but even I know a little about insulin, using carbs vs fat for energy, some things that cue your body to store calories as fat vs cuing your body to use up stored calories, etc. It just isn't that simple.
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well.... Technically, everyone is naturally a fat burning furnace.

We all function by burning energy.

I like you
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have just never understood why eating say 2100 calories a day within 8 hours is any different to eating them within 12 hours, but I'll admit I am ignorant on the subject.

I don't agree with some of what you've posted (I for one cannot exercise on an empty stomach), but if it works for you, then great.
    Meal timing is irrelevant for the majority of people, according to the majority of the peer-reviewed research on the subject.