Here's the scoop...(lifting heavy/fatloss/strength gains)

Options
2»

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm in similar position to you, though I've got more to loose (maybe 20 to 30) and of course am bigger and male.
    I've been using the 'leangains' approach where I eat more on lifting days and less on 'rest' days - about 1000 calories less on off days. I've just been adding some more cardio in on rest days.
    So far for this time (I put a lot of weight on working away over summer), it's working very well.
    I've been having to up my the food I've been eating (did have it on 1400/2400) as I felt I was losing too fast.
    I've stalled on squat, but everything else is still going up session on session (sometimes doing more reps rather than another 2.,5kg, but still progress - my squat figures put me getting quite close to 'advanced' on one of those calculators and on it if I was at my goal weight (so similar lean mass but less fat) - so the stall may be more doing that 3x a week is a bit too much.
    I'm doing a modified 'starting strength' - I would consider if you do want the full 5x5 when on a cut - starting strength does 3x5.

I too find it frustrating when not improving on weights, when cutting, despite it generally being

I would take issue with weight lifting 'not helping with fat burning' - for me it DOES burn a lot of calories. I've measured my BMR a day after lifting at 2400calories a day when I was around 180lb I think. And that holds true to the amount I was eating at the time, but maintaining weight. 'YMMV' of course

For the OP:
    What routine are you currently doing for your weights?
    What cardio?

I might consider upping protein a bit if you can and see if that helps.

Be aware that your body only has so much 'recovery' capability, which is why we have rest days and so on.
    On that basis, I've been trying to limit the Cardio I do to more steady state stuff and not for really extended periods - so I don't "use up" recovery capability by hammering it with high intensity cardio.

It may well come down to deciding whether to focus on either gaining for lifting or losing - for most experienced 'lifters the two are mutually exclusive - I've been pretty lucky so far - though I do reckon the 'leangains' style approach has made a difference.

Leangains guide:
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains Guide
    More resources:
    http://rippedbody.jp/
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start lifting (nothing crazy) to build my muscles and lose fat, too. Add me also please :)

Not sure what crazy lifting is....:huh:
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Prior to injury I was squatting 140 and DL 185. Benching 105, OHP 80lbs and rows 140.

:heart: :love:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I dont lose strength on a deficit. Just broke my PR.
    try stronglifts 5x5 workout program
    ^ This!

I too am at a deficit and up the amount I lift by 10 pounds each week (lift 3x/week full body). Eat protein and lots of it!
    That will happen with beginners/newer lifters, because you're training your central nervous system to fire more muscle cells at once time. More muscle cells firing at once= bigger lifts. You can make gains like this for a pretty long time while eating at a deficit and not gain any lean mass. You don't gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit, but you can get stronger for the reason I just wrote

I'm an experienced lifter and a former competitive powerlifter. I've found as my weight drops, so do my lifts. Weights I could get 5 reps of when I was 20lbs heavier I'm getting 2 reps of now. Right now lifting isn't my priority, I do it to retain lean mass and stay fit. Maxing out and increasing my lifts isn't a what I'm after, so the drop in strength doesn't bug me too much. A little, but I just adjust my routine to keep going.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm in similar position to you, though I've got more to loose (maybe 20 to 30) and of course am bigger and male.
    I've been using the 'leangains' approach where I eat more on lifting days and less on 'rest' days - about 1000 calories less on off days. I've just been adding some more cardio in on rest days.
    So far for this time (I put a lot of weight on working away over summer), it's working very well.
    I've been having to up my the food I've been eating (did have it on 1400/2400) as I felt I was losing too fast.
    I've stalled on squat, but everything else is still going up - my squat figures put me getting quite close to 'advanced' on one of those calculators and on it if I was at my goal weight (so similar lean mass but less fat) - so the stall may be more doing that 3x a week is a bit too much.

I too find it frustrating when not improving on weights, when cutting, despite it generally being

I would take issue with weight lifting 'not helping with fat burning' - for me it DOES burn a lot of calories. I've measured my BMR a day after lifting at 2400calories a day when I was around 180lb I think. And that holds true to the amount I was eating at the time, but maintaining weight. 'YMMV' of course

For the OP:
    What routine are you currently doing for your weights?
    What cardio?

I might consider upping protein a bit if you can and see if that helps.

Be aware that your body only has so much 'recovery' capability, which is why we have rest days and so on.
    On that basis, I've been trying to limit the Cardio I do to more steady state stuff and not for really extended periods - so I don't "use up" recovery capability by hammering it with high intensity cardio.

It may well come down to deciding whether to focus on either gaining for lifting or losing - for most experienced 'lifters the two are mutually exclusive - I've been pretty lucky so far - though I do reckon the 'leangains' style approach has made a difference.

Leangains guide:
    http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Leangains Guide
    More resources:
    http://rippedbody.jp/
    Full body, three times per week..squats, deadlifts, presses, assisted pullups, military row, bench dips, bicep curls, skullcrushers...not all in the same day..it is broken up. For cardio it is treadmill walking fast, elliptical, exercise bike..been doing more exercise bike lately as I am getting over a severely sprained big toe..ha ha
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ^ This!

I too am at a deficit and up the amount I lift by 10 pounds each week (lift 3x/week full body). Eat protein and lots of it!
    That will happen with beginners/newer lifters, because you're training your central nervous system to fire more muscle cells at once time. More muscle cells firing at once= bigger lifts. You can make gains like this for a pretty long time while eating at a deficit and not gain any lean mass. You don't gain muscle mass while eating at a deficit, but you can get stronger for the reason I just wrote

I'm an experienced lifter and a former competitive powerlifter. I've found as my weight drops, so do my lifts. Weights I could get 5 reps of when I was 20lbs heavier I'm getting 2 reps of now. Right now lifting isn't my priority, I do it to retain lean mass and stay fit. Maxing out and increasing my lifts isn't a what I'm after, so the drop in strength doesn't bug me too much. A little, but I just adjust my routine to keep going.
    As long as I can get rid of this fat and show what muscle I am trying to retain...that would be good..thanks!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What sets and reps for those? How many different moves per day? (Ie, squat, bp and dl for 3 in a day)

For me, eating more seems to be helping, but I don't know how that translates to someone with 75lb less

From recent eating at a deficit and lifts going up - trousers that in the past at this weight were a bit tight around the waist - are now fine around the waist, but tight around the thighs.
    Similar story for a shirt which was tight in the RIGHT areas.

There's plenty of examples of experienced lifters on the rippedbody.jp site gaining strength and losing fat - don't know about physical size of muscles..

Does anyone have studies done on new lifters as opposed to experienced ones for this aspect?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start lifting (nothing crazy) to build my muscles and lose fat, too. Add me also please :)

This would be crazy lifting:

crazy-weight-lifting.jpg
  • __freckles__
    Options

This would be crazy lifting:

crazy-weight-lifting.jpg

OMG......that's just plain stupid. Seriously, WTF?
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    ^ This!

How long am I considered a biginner as I've been doing this a year now. I'm by no means an expert just curious after this next year if I'll still be able to eat at a deficit (or maybe I won't have to, maybe all my fat will be gone by then?) and will I be able to still increase my strength each week (even if by a little?). Hell, I just want fat gone and muscles to get bigger to fill in all this loose skin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    In my experience, my strength gains have been very small in the last 6 months, and I've lost 28 lbs in that time (6.5% body fat total), eating at a deficit.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If your main goal is to lose weight, lose fat, and see some of that toned muscle underneath -- it has to be diet.
    I am just about your height, and I don't lose -- or lose much -- on 1,400 calories a day. (Our workouts are similar. I do strength 3 x a week, and cardio a few times a week.)
    For a woman of our size, maintenance is about 1,500 calories a day. A modest workout will only burn 200 calories. So your deficit is about 300 calories a day, or about 2,000 calories a week. That's less than a pound a week of fat loss.

If your goal is to get lean, then cut the calories back.
    Strength training is good, but it's not how you burn fat -- it's how you build up muscle.
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    [
    How long am I considered a biginner as I've been doing this a year now. I'm by no means an expert just curious after this next year if I'll still be able to eat at a deficit (or maybe I won't have to, maybe all my fat will be gone by then?) and will I be able to still increase my strength each week (even if by a little?). Hell, I just want fat gone and muscles to get bigger to fill in all this loose skin.

A year is still a beginner. When your strength gains slow or stop and you have to bust your butt for 6 months to add 5lbs to a lift, then you are no longer a beginner. That's when you have to really analyze your lifts and work on your weak areas, like if your bench is stalling right at your chest or your deadlift is failing at lockout. You work on fixing those problems and that's how your lifts increase a little.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting since june 2013 Ive managed to take my deadlifts from 60kg to 115kg while managing to lose 42lbs :D
  • danimalkeys
    Options
    Ive been lifting since june 2013 Ive managed to take my deadlifts from 60kg to 115kg while managing to lose 42lbs :D

You are enjoying the newbie gains, good job on the weight loss!