Obstacles

Options
2»

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    When you have a travel advisory and you're already sick it's not on the top of my list. I have a wife that takes her state boards in 4 days so my main focus is to not get her sick and try and get better.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's frustrating when you have a plan and life gets in the way. Do something at home. There are a ton of workout videos that will help you achieve the same results.

If you're sick then it's probably best to rest up. Feel better soon!
  • Buckvarney926
    Buckvarney926 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I usually get 1 cold a year and it lasts a few days where I have the sore throat, cough, headache, and all the good stuff. If it was just a sniffle I'd be at the gym. I'm ready to get out of this workplace for the weekend and relax and get some soup and rest.

I'm from Indiana and we're supposed to get another foot of snow this weekend but as long as I start feeling better I can just do some push ups and sit ups and use my dumbbells at home.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Life happens for everyone. People who work out regularly do not have easier lives or fewer obstacles than those who don't work out.

I treat working out like I treat my job. If I wouldn't call in sick to work for the same reason, I don't cancel my workout.

Like others have said, I do have alternate workouts if I can't/don't choose to go to the gym. Running is fast and easy. Home workout DVDs, although not my favorite, provide a good workout. I have kettle bells and resistance bands at home in case I can't get to the gym, but I hate doing DVDs, so I can usually muster the effort required to run or get to the gym to lift.

If you're truly sick, stay home. The gym doesn't need your germs.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    If the weather is too bad to travel to the gym... improvise. Work out at home. If you don't have weights, use your body weight. There are many ways to work out that don't require a gym. Personally, I always work out at home. It's a lot easier and I can't make excuses of why I can't go to the gym. As for being sick... its best not to work out while you're sick so that is indeed a valid excuse to take a few days off. Just stick with your good healthy eating habits and you'll be fine. Weightloss is 75% diet.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I did a post about this earlier. Everyone has barriers, the people who are successful figure out ways around those barriers.

Do you have a workout video? Access to you tube? stairs at your living place? I hate working out when I am sick, but I have noticed that its more about getting the motivation to start than it is to workout. Usually I feel better in the end.

Hope this helps =)

Agree sometimes working out is the best medicine when you feel like C#$%
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I can understand needing rest when you are sick, but there is no reason why you cannot workout at home when you can't get to the gym. There are lots of great workouts you can do in your living room.

fitnessblender.com
    bodyrock.tv
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It never fails that as soon as I was ready to go to the gym and get back into working out everything comes up. Yesterday we got a ton of snow and the weather is horrible and will be for the next week, and today I woke up starting to get sick. I figure if I can at least stick to my diet until I can get back to the gym.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Yes. A wheel came off a tractor trailer going the opposite direction from me on the highway and totaled my van. I was also banged up and couldn't work out for a few days. Before that, my zumba classes were cancelled, then my kids had some activities, work kept getting in the way, and there was a ice/snowstorm, and various other crap happens.

I'm back on the wagon. If I can't get out of the house, I do Wii Dance, or the elliptical, or a DVD.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    It never fails that as soon as I was ready to go to the gym and get back into working out everything comes up. Yesterday we got a ton of snow and the weather is horrible and will be for the next week, and today I woke up starting to get sick. I figure if I can at least stick to my diet until I can get back to the gym.

Does anyone else have this happen?

Yes. A wheel came off a tractor trailer going the opposite direction from me on the highway and totaled my van. I was also banged up and couldn't work out for a few days. Before that, my zumba classes were cancelled, then my kids had some activities, work kept getting in the way, and there was a ice/snowstorm, and various other crap happens.

I'm back on the wagon. If I can't get out of the house, I do Wii Dance, or the elliptical, or a DVD.

I'm glad to hear that you worked through your obstacles and got back on the wagon! OP - good example here. Fight through the "osbtacles" and stick with the master plan!