Suggestions for a good protein powder

Options
13»

Replies

• JourneyingJessica
    JourneyingJessica Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I 5th or 6th Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. I keep double chocolate and French vanilla always.

You can get 30 serving container (2lbs) from amazon for like $30 so cost per gram of protien is cheap.

I tried the vanilla ice cream flavor. It was good but had an ice cream (?) after taste. The French vanilla was smoother.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey Gold Standard Chocolate. It uses Stevia instead of Splenda to sweeten it. Its one of the few natural products out there. I personally find it to taste much better the standard ON gold standard also. I'm on my 7th 5lb tub so it works for me.

Though I'd recommend the Optimum Nutrition Natural Oats and Whey. I love it though its pricey since it only comes in 3lb/26serving package.
  • RachtheOzkiwi
    RachtheOzkiwi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    One word: Hemp
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who has a "super palette" that being that I am extremely sensitive to aftertastes, and I've been using the Body Fortress Super Vanilla Whey protein. It's really good and has no metallic after taste. It does ACTUALLY taste like a vanilla milk shake. I like to mix it with some low carb cool-whip (the non-dairy kind) and water, to save on carbs.

I agree! I just bought this protein powder a few days ago and it is damn good. :) I mix it with almond milk and fruit, such as raspberries. It is delicious. Cuts right through my sugar cravings too :)

That is so crazy. I think it is one of the worst tasting protein powders out there. Overbearingly sweet!
  • Never2EZ
    Options
    Muscle Pharm Combat Powder. Orange creamsicle is crazy good tasting, mixes well, and I could live off this stuff for the rest of my life :P
  • revkhyler
    Options
    I like Bob's Red Mill pure whey isolate. That way I can flavor it up the way I want without getting stuck with a huge monster container. Bob's Soy based protein powder isn't too bad either. I order it via Amazon.com or occasionally through the Bob's Red Mill website and I occasionally find it at the local natural foods stores.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    The myth of "protein powder helps you gain lean muscle" is hog wash, it's simply used to fulfill the macros you still require for a day, and possibly for an easy snack to prepare, for fast protein absorption before or after a workout.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I am one of those people who has a "super palette" that being that I am extremely sensitive to aftertastes, and I've been using the Body Fortress Super Vanilla Whey protein. It's really good and has no metallic after taste. It does ACTUALLY taste like a vanilla milk shake. I like to mix it with some low carb cool-whip (the non-dairy kind) and water, to save on carbs.

I agree! I just bought this protein powder a few days ago and it is damn good. :) I mix it with almond milk and fruit, such as raspberries. It is delicious. Cuts right through my sugar cravings too :)

This is my problem with proteins as well. Straight whey protein is a waste as I either have to drink it in multiple small portions or my body will flush what's not immediately used, so most of those won't work. Many of the blends, however, end up being super sweet.
    That is so crazy. I think it is one of the worst tasting protein powders out there. Overbearingly sweet!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Straight whey protein is a waste as I either have to drink it in multiple small portions or my body will flush what's not immediately used, so most of those won't work.

What?
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    The myth of "protein powder helps you gain lean muscle" is hog wash, it's simply used to fulfill the macros you still require for a day, and possibly for an easy snack to prepare, for fast protein absorption before or after a workout.

Luckily the anabolic window for optimum protein absorption is hog wash also lol.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Whey protein consumed alone processes through the GI tract in not more than about 90 minutes. AAs are released rapidly and what your body doesn't use is excreted. If you consume it with other proteins like casein it slows that process and gives you a more gradual release of AAs.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at Trutein for a while, but have yet to venture into giving it a try. I'm using Syntha 6 right now. anyone used both who can offer an opinion?

Quoting this to repeat it, as things kind of went a different direction but I'm very interested in the answer. I've used ON, Gaspari, Syntha6 and Forza Pro, and haven't found one I really love enough to buy more than once yet and don't have a ton of cash to toss around trying several!
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Whey protein consumed alone processes through the GI tract in not more than about 90 minutes. AAs are released rapidly and what your body doesn't use is excreted. If you consume it with other proteins like casein it slows that process and gives you a more gradual release of AAs.

Every single piece of literature on the subject by any reputable nutrition expert calls BS on this claim.
  • erinbuberinxo
    Options
    Optimum nutrition is my favourite. It's a little expensive but there are a lot of flavours to choose from so I don't ever get bored :)
  • Greytfish
    Options

Every single piece of literature on the subject by any reputable nutrition expert calls BS on this claim.

Feel free to share it.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did a little value based (my values) study on some popular proteins. I was interested in #1-Cost per Gram of Protein, then #2-Percentage of Protein Calories per Overall Calories, then #3-Cost per Serving. I did not try to quantify quality of protein (reviews were all anecdotal and varied), so I assumed an even grade on the quality of the protein (finding no reports stating that any of the proteins below were proven to be inferior). If you have any questions, let me know. OBTW, I go with the #2 Ranked Protein in my study: Body Fortress Super Advanced Isolate which I purchase from Amazon. Hope this is helpful.

edit?usp=sharing
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Delicious protein is delicious :)
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I did a little value based (my values) study on some popular proteins. I was interested in #1-Cost per Gram of Protein, then #2-Percentage of Protein Calories per Overall Calories, then #3-Cost per Serving. I did not try to quantify quality of protein (reviews were all anecdotal and varied), so I assumed an even grade on the quality of the protein (finding no reports stating that any of the proteins below were proven to be inferior). If you have any questions, let me know. OBTW, I go with the #2 Ranked Protein in my study: Body Fortress Super Advanced Isolate which I purchase from Amazon. Hope this is helpful.

This time with the graphic (I hope)...

ProteinComparisonChart_zps104b0ca1.jpg