Couch 2 5k - 2 days later

Options
13»

Replies

• cassy_runs
    Options
    I'm also an overweight runner and I totally understand where you're coming from on this! My first day of Couch25K was discouraging for me because I hadn't really even tried running before that, but I assumed I'd be able to do more than I was actually able to do. I ended up doing week 1 twice in a row because I knew I wasn't ready to move up to week 2 just yet. I agree with a previous reply which stated that C25K assumes a level of fitness that many people may not have- I didn't have it.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING you can do as a beginning runner is to TAKE YOUR TIME. I'll say it again: take your time. If you push yourself to do too much too fast, you can sustain an injury that can set you back MONTHS or even end your running career before it really even gets off the ground. I have a good friend who began running (although she was in pretty good shape already) last June and proceeded to run a half marathon that September. She sustained a knee injury and has been restricted from running by her physician. She is limited to elliptical and treadmill activity until the injury is resolved, which could take months.

Don't look at your first day and say "I only ran 2.5 minutes." Look at your first day and say "I RAN 2.5 minutes, and that's more than I've run in 16 years." Be proud of the things your body does for you. That will help you learn to love your body even before it gets to the shape you want it in. Be proud of that 2.5 minutes. And when it becomes 3 minutes, you be proud of that, too. There are people who will stay on the couch and be unhealthy their entire lives because they don't have the courage to lace up their sneaks and get their *kitten* out there. You are a go-getter and you've plenty of reason to run, shuffle, walk, jog, or drag yourself down the road with your head held high. :)
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    You can do this. The first week can be really tough when you are heavy and out of shape. I started at 260lbs and the first week I thought I was going to die every time it said "Start running". I made it through week 9 and dropped 25lbs! I did repeat workouts, sometimes even full weeks. You can do this!!

I did a lot of reading and got involved in a few forums (on other sites) that were strictly for C25K-ers. Everyone said "Slow Down"

If you cant run a full "run" session in your workout, slow down, you are probably running too fast
    If you can't breath, slow down, you are probably going too fast.
    If you get a stitch in your side, slow down, you are definitely going too fast.

My run speed is barely faster than my husband's normal walking speed. I run slooooooowwwww. But thats ok, speed will come later. Right now, when I have the opportunity to run, I focus on just finishing. If I end up walking more than I run, thats ok because I'll get there. I am still moving my body and still burning calories.

I know you can do this! Just don't give up!
  • KLouise56
    KLouise56 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm currently loosely sticking to the C25K training plan.

I was speaking to someone after one of my runs and he can't run just yet. He walks at a normal pace for the walking periods and walks at a brisk pace for the jogging periods. Once he gets up to walking up to a brisk pace most of the time he's going to take on the running aspect starting at week 1 again.

I also find concentrating on my breathing helps so much. Takes my mind of walking instead and helps me run for longer.

Just don't feel like you can't do it. You will do it! Just take small steps with small achievements. Once I complete a week I treat myself to something naughty like a creme egg, even if it has taken me more than 3 times to feel comfortable with a week.

Good luck!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you don't need to run 8 minutes when you start off. My program saw me do this a few weeks down the line. It isn't easy but take it easy lol. Try running for a minute and then walking for a minute. If that is too easy run for 1.5 minutes, if it is too hard run for 45 seconds. The important thing with running is that you will quickly progress if you do it constantly. Doing so much you puke and don't do it again isn't any good :-) Good luck, you can do it.
  • ThighsOfSteel
    ThighsOfSteel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The February edition of Runner's World has an article this month on how to get started running - and it starts with walking! There are 5 really good programmes from getting started to speeding up so it could be worth looking into, it has a very steady increase of time/distance. I did C25K a couple of years ago and it's great, but you do need to feel able to repeat weeks if you're not feeling comfortable.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Jenny Hadfield also has progressive walk and walk/run programs (jennyhadfield.com). That being said, I was 215+ when I started. I've seen people successfully complete the program who were north of 300 when they started. Repeating runs (or weeks) is encouraged if you aren't able to walk for 30 minutes.