Do you follow any paticular diet?

I often feel like my brain is fried, after trying to hunt down the healthiest diet. Low carb, no carb, weight watchers, Slimming World, 5:2 blah blah. I could go on forever.

I've decided just to track calories and exercise and hope for the best!

What about you? What's you success diet and failure diet?

*If anyone wants to add me as friend, then feel free :-)

Replies

• Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    I don't diet, never have. I just eat healthy.

Ditch the sweets, processed sugars, processed -anything-, snacks, sodas, juices... etc

Eat more fruits, veggies, lean proteins {chicken, turkey, tuna... etc}.

I try to follow the 'clean' mentality. I know I don't eat 100% clean but I try to stick with all natural and foods that have limited ingredients.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    I cook farm to table, so I'll use that as a description.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    I just count calories. And I ate clean foods. I used to just count calories and ate crap but I decided that I care also about my health, not just weight loss, so I switched to clean foods only 95% of time now.

I have tried low carb. And I like it. Low carb high fat diet keeps me full better. But I lose all the energy on it. It's supposed to get better after few weeks and even better than on high carb diet once you are used to it but I just can't bother to feel so weak for a week or a month until my body gets used to it. I will prolly switch to low carb again once I will slow down on my exercises but now I need carbs for energy cos I am actually training for performance.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Counting calories combined with low carbing and the "No S Diet", as well as eating 'clean' as much as possible. Oh, and kosher. :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I "calorie count." I lost a lot of weight when I was a teenager by going "low-cal." Fast-forward 20 years, calorie counting is just a habit of mine. Once I reached a goal weight, I stopped journaling my cals/food and started more informally counting cals.

I've always known WHAT to eat (vegetables, lean meat, whole grains, etc.) I wasn't necessarily eating those foods when I was younger...and I was drinking soda.

I joined MFP and have started recording my food to look at my macros and just improve my diet. I believe in a well-balanced diet with plenty of nutrients, but I also don't believe in complete deprivation. I "cheat" usually just one meal a week (but even then I try to make reasonable choices).

For me, eating reasonably well and a crap ton of exercise has been my strategy.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I follow the neandermagnon diet. It's unique and inimitable
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    I just whatever I want and try to stay under my calories.. I am mindful to get a lot of protein in though
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    I eat vegan, but that's both for health and moral reasons. I don't follow any specific low carb/high fat or vice versa sort of things, I just eat as clean as I can because it makes me feel good. Processed foods and beverages to a minimum.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I do If It Fits Your Macros.

Basically I have a protein and fat minimum that I try to reach. I also try to get in several servings of fruit and veg-- and then with whatever calories are left I enjoy whatever foods I want.

eta: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • 11 years ago, the summer before my senior year, my mom and I went on the low carb diet before going on vacation. We were also walking about 3-4 miles a day on an outdoor track full of hills. It was great exercise. The diet, not so much. I lost about 16-18lbs in 6 weeks and my mom lost over 20 in the same amount of time. As soon as we hit the road traveling, it was on like donkey kong!! We were trying to stick to the low carb, but it didn't work. We gained almost everything back in 2 weeks. I haven't been on that diet since. My point: Diets don't work. It has to be a lifestyle change. I have only been working towards this goal for a week and I have lost 4 lbs. I have not "restricted" anything from myself. If I want something, I am going to have it. The difference: Having it out of habit or having it when you don't need it! I was an avid Mountain Dew drinker-a 20oz every single day, about 6 cups of coffee with that, sweet tea, but NO water!! I would go weeks without water. That was the first thing to go. I haven't had a Mountain Dew in 10 days. The next thing was going to the convenience store on my lunch break getting a candy bar and possibly another Mountain Dew. And I would eat out constantly. I can't tell you how much money I have saved these past 2 weeks (week 1 I was on a stay-cation.) That has stopped. I now brown bag it with a sandwich or left overs and I carry a cup of water with me every time I get into the car. I have started watching my portions and weigh or measure everything (unless eating out.) My family was making fun of me on New Years for doing so, saying I was becoming obsessive...NO I am just learning what a real portion is. I finish what is on my plate, if I don't get full first, drink a glass of water before each meal and after. And I am not hungry. I am also eating breakfast now, which I used to not do. And then I have a low cal lunch. Sorry this is so long winded, I guess my point is, I don't consider myself on a diet. I believe that I am doing a lifestyle change! You can't diet forever, but can make changes that you can deal with forever.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    I more or less am doing my own thing - The thing I have changed is absolutely NO SUGAR(Its evil for me) - and no pasta or bread after my lunch

all my meals consist of protein/ veggies/ fresh fruit (slice of american bread with breakfast and lunch ) and as far as my portions go - breakfast is my smallest meal - lunch is medium and dinner is large portion - I allow myself all the coffee/ tea I want with non fat powdered milk

I snack on all I want of
    celery sticks
    cucumbers
    romaine lettuce
    cabbage
    lettuce
    pickles
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    brussel sprouts
    asparagus
    squash
    boullion

I eat till I am satisfied never stuffed and I never count calories

This works for me .
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    I often feel like my brain is fried, after trying to hunt down the healthiest diet. Low carb, no carb, weight watchers, Slimming World, 5:2 blah blah. I could go on forever.

If you accurately track your calories (and what you eat is below what you burn) then you will lose weight. It's the most practical approach in terms of being able to follow it and still generally eat what you want. It does help to track protein, fats and fiber to make sure that you are getting enough but I think your start is spot on.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    5:2 works!! Watch the documentary based in science. I never believed it until I tried it myself and haven't felt this good in 20 years!!!

1 hour of well worth it. Eat, Fast and live longer. Horizons documentary by Michael Mosley.

Even if you don't do intermittent calorie restriction you will learn a lot.
  • I just track cals and exercise tbh. there are other things which I consider but tracking cals and staying moderately active is the main component of my 'diet'.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    My success "diet" has been to just eat whatever I want and stay within my caloric limits. It works for me, I've lost 117lbs total. (I've gained some back because I'm currently pregnant.) When I go shopping I always try to pick out the healthiest option of what I want but I'm not going to deny myself something just because it doesn't come in a fabulously healthy option.
  • jayjrf
    jayjrf Posts: 25
    Don't follow a diet.

I cook everything I eat. Stick to the daily allowances from FitnessPal because you could be eating more sugar/carbs than you think.

Find foods you like and stick to those. Different foods for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, BUT keep the meals same everyday.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member

I did alternate day IF for weight loss (JUDDD), used 5:2 as a bridge between weight loss and maintenance and then I did 18:6IF to lose a few more pounds after deciding that I wasn't happy with my original goal weight.

Stopped doing IF after I transitioned into maintenance, but I really enjoyed doing it :smile:

As far as food goes-I eat foods I enjoy. That means fast food 3-4 times a week, packaged/'processed' foods, candy, cookies (lots and lots of cookies), and then also things like a daily salad, green smoothies, whole grains etc etc. I ate this way while losing weight and I eat this way while successfully maintaining.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I do iifym - I have set protein, fat and carb goals that I meet every day - these are set to help me achieve whatever goals I have.

I choose to eat more nutrient dense foods, and make "healthier" choices nearly all of the time. (I make up what I think is healthy or not depending on research and studies I've read. This idea is forever changing and evolving...and will likely do so for life)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Brilliant! Simple and effective. You've got this now!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I just eat. I had set my goals on here to 40%carb, 30%fat, 30%protein. I did that for about a year. I was almost always at my total calorie goal, but I was struggling to keep the carbs at goal. Last week I switched it to 45%carb, 25%fat, 30%protein. It's not a huge change, but now I seem to always be under goal, lol. I almost never completely meet the protein goal. Close, but not quite. It doesn't concern my, because I know that even if I'm not quite meeting the goal numbers, I'm still eating better than I was 2 years ago.

The main thing that I've really changed is not going out for a big (huge) restaurant meal more than once a week now.