2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    What about you?

I just eat less than I burn.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I don't diet. I eat whatever I want, just less of it. I exercise some.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Yes, it can all get very confusing. For me, for weight loss I eat at a deficit, and make sure I get enough protein and fat. For fitness I exercise. This is a great post to read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add: my failure diet is any fad diet that promises unrealistic results or is impossible to adhere to long term.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    yes, i avoid foods that taste bad to me.

other than that, i eat anything i want with appropriate portion sizes and with appropriate frequency.

this is consistent with the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) philosophy, which is the foundation for all truly healthy diets.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Protein/fats/veg during day and carbs only around when I train.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    I'm on the meat, eggs, vegetables, fruit and dairy diet. LOL
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    I just count calories. I pay attention to my macros, but I can mostly just tell when I need more protein or fat; and I'll make a point of eating what I need. I think that after some time of being healthy, we learn to listen to our bodies better and actually crave healthier foods.
  • Sjudit84
    Sjudit84 Posts: 24 Member
    I used to do what you did, track my calories and exercise, and try to stay within my limit. That is OK for a while, but you do need to make healthier choices. What I like about this tracker is that at the end of the day you can see if your nutrition lacks in vitamins or protein if you did not eat enough of that for a day.

Nowadays bcs I have developed a gluten intolerance and I think also lactose intolerance (although that just might be a side effect of gluten intolerance, bcs my intestines are so crazy that they need to calm down and cannot deal with lactose now either), I needed to stop eating flour and dairy products altogher. Let me tell you, it is Fcking hard!!!!!!!! I used to loooooove baked goods! And of course cheese and all that too. But since i have stopped eating these, it is so easy to stay within my calorie limit.
    The only thing is you have to be really mindful of what you are going to eat during the day, bcs if you forgot to pack lunch, you cant just buy sandwich or eat a pizza. You always have to eat some type of warm food for breakfast and dinner too, unlike before...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    I found that portion control works the best for me Most days I try and get lots of protein, fruits and/or veg. But I really don't stress too much if I miss it. I feel better when I eat healthy but I allow for junk food days too! - Like yesterday - almost all carbs and sugar, but back on board today. ;)
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    No, not really. I dont believe in saying anything is off limits. I often tell people I eat clean, because I have very little processed food and look for the most nutritionally dense food I can find. But some people with take clean to mean no breads, alcohol, and the list can go on on. Thats certainly not me. lol. I say clean because I believe thats pretty close. I do avoid dairy but im lactose intolerant so...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    No, not really. I dont believe in saying anything is off limits. I often tell people I eat clean, because I have very little processed food and look for the most nutritionally dense food I can find. But some people with take clean to mean no breads, alcohol, and the list can go on on. Thats certainly not me. lol. I say clean because I believe thats pretty close. I do avoid dairy but im lactose intolerant so...

1) "whole foods" is a better description than "clean"
    2) i cut out dairy too for a few years because of LI, but i started using Lactaid for my protein shakes over the summer and i am glad i did. i missed drinking milk and eating cereal. you should try it.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I've been vegetarian for most of my life, but that's due to personal preference and ethical reasons. Besides that, I make an effort to cook at home from fresh, whole foods and avoid processed foods as much as possible, but I don't make anything 100% off limits, I just pay attention to portion size when I eat things that aren't the healthiest choice.
  • No particular diet, I eat what I like.
    I track calories and try to get enough protein and potassium. If I am successful with the 2 "Ps", it seems that everything else pretty much takes care of itself.
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    1.) I lift heavy things for exercise
    2.) I follow IIFYM at a 15% deficit which is giving me the ability to have some chicken burgers today.

Workouts I like + Foods I like
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I just try to hit my protein goal (30%), and stay under my calories. It's hard enough without adding more annoying rules!
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    I certainly try to eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies each day, with a sprinkling of meat and dairy mixed in occasionally, to meet my nutritional needs. But, I don't follow any diet in particular and eat whatever I want. I'll fit in just about anything into my eating plan. There's so much delicious food out there, I'd hate to have to look at something and think "Oh, I can't eat that because I'm vegan, vegetarian, paleo, whatever diet of the month, etc."