cutting out sugar

Options

Replies

• FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Annnnnd, cue the GIFS. Really??

To answer your question, MoreBean, lower triglycerides, higher HDL, lower LDL. Though I'm not convinced that lower total CHOL is better, but my ratios are ideal now. They were not when I ate much higher carb/sugar, despite being just as (or more) lean and 10+ years YOUNGER.

And I'm not here to argue the fact, or look at GIFS or any of that, just sharing my personal experience. It does blow me away, however, how many people seem so adamant on here about eating crap food. ??

Thanks for sharing, Fraumama. What you are reporting is exactly what is shown in medical literature and test trials.

Yes, but let's not discuss that here. ;)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM currently watching this documentary about sugar

I would also suggest you read this. It is an extremely good counterpoint.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The article was saying how sugar is an empty calorie, whereas fat is needed. Sugar is a pure "energy bomb" and serves no purpose in the diet, and is even thought to be tricking our brains into eating more than we need.

Yes, exactly. People get really emotional when you talk about the evils of sugar. That's because they are addicted.

You are funny.....and wrong...oh so wrong.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The article was saying how sugar is an empty calorie, whereas fat is needed. Sugar is a pure "energy bomb" and serves no purpose in the diet, and is even thought to be tricking our brains into eating more than we need.

I kinda like energy when working out. Seems pretty useful to me.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sorry, worded that badly. Sugar really, really is the enemy because it is so high in calories, and it is in everything, and we don't notice it in our foods. But low-calorie foods often have high sugar contents, which deliver far more calories than, for example,t he same amount of fat. And a high carb, low fat diet contains loads of sugar - low fat foods are crammed with sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM a good documentary on this phenomenon. around 39 mins he talks about diet foods.

wait so sugar is very high in calories, but low calorie foods have high sugar content? What the...... bro, do u even write?

I think they meant low fat foods, not low calorie foods. Low fat stuff is typically higher in sugar because they need something to make them taste good when you take out the fat!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    While some people can lose and/or maintain weight without giving up sugar, and that works for them, many people are/feel healthier and lose/maintain weight without sugar. I hate this idea that there should be a one-fits-all weight-management lifestyle because every person is different, which is why every study says something different.

I'm assuming that the main two issues with the abundance of sugar in processed foods is that sugar adds more calories to these foods and that, whether or not a physical sugar addiction exists, which is an entirely different issue, people can be psychologically addicted to sugar (because people can be psychologically addicted to anything), so they will eat more of it.

I'm also trying to limit my added sugars from processed foods in the new year. I get sick quite often (minor colds and things, but more often than normal for someone that's tested negative for autoimmune disorders) and added sugars and processed foods are the only thing not "clean" about my diet. Otherwise, I eat plenty of whole grains, lean protein, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats. I avoid dairy for health issues as well, but that is a different story entirely. When I was younger, I would always get sick (cold/sore throat) after sleepovers, which were always filled with sugar and processed foods. Something clicked and I thought that sugar/processed food could be the culprit. My boyfriend's mother went without sugar for years; although she gave it, she said she felt so healthy. My goal is to keep my sugar under MFP's limit, which is higher than suggested in the article you read, but since I used to go over the limit daily, I feel like it is a good place to start. If I don't see my health improve in the next year, I'll go back to eating sugar/processed food. One issue I'm having now is one many people have when they start counting calories: finding the hidden sugars. I had no idea how sugary hoisin sauce was until I logged it in my stir-fry! I've started using the Fooducate app to find out more about my packaged foods and how processed they are, and it alerts me to added sugars.

If TL;DR, I think it's worth giving it a shot. Everyone's different and it may help you. Best of luck on your journey to a healthy lifestyle!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Annnnnd, cue the GIFS. Really??

To answer your question, MoreBean, lower triglycerides, higher HDL, lower LDL. Though I'm not convinced that lower total CHOL is better, but my ratios are ideal now. They were not when I ate much higher carb/sugar, despite being just as (or more) lean and 10+ years YOUNGER.

And I'm not here to argue the fact, or look at GIFS or any of that, just sharing my personal experience. It does blow me away, however, how many people seem so adamant on here about eating crap food. ??

I think people are trying to make the point that there are no "bad" or "good" foods, there is just food that you eat for energy. consume too much of it and you get obese, consume less of it you lose weight, consume the right amounts and hit macros and you can recomp your body….

People get into trouble when they label food as "bad" and then attempt to entirely climate that food from their diet, which leads to binging and failure….this also overcomplicates things….just eat for what your goals are and don't worry about what is supposedly good or bad...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic is not because of sugar. It's from eating too much of anything. Good luck cutting out sugar. Sugar is a carb and carbs are apart of a balanced diet. I've learned, for me, that to make my diet sustainable for life, cutting things were unnecessary. I eat the same things I always do and will, just in smaller portions and being mindful of my macronutrient ratios.
    THIS. People don't pay attention to calorie intake and that's why they are fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM currently watching this documentary about sugar

I would also suggest you read this. It is an extremely good counterpoint.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    Thank you for posting the link to the Alan Aragon blog; saved me hunting for it again.

Sugar is a carb. Your body needs carbs. Unless you're a diabetic, prediabetic, hypoglycemic, or otherwise specifically instructed to do so by a competent medical professional, there's no reason to treat sugar as any different from other carbs.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Processed food = sugar! Ketchup, hamburgers, mustard, cereal, fruit yogurt, chocholate milk, bread, salad dressings, flavoured water, canned food, "healthy" bars, even dried fruit has added sugar. Yesterday I saw so called diet yogurt with 0.1 % of fat and 26 g of added sugar. Oh, well...

yeah exactly - that in eating "diet" food we end up gaining weight

No. You gain weight eating in a calorie surplus. Not because of sugar. An imbalanced diet might make you feel crappy but you can't gain weight without eating over maintenance.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1112412--the-problem-with-sugar-is-your-problem-with-sugar?hl=Your+problem+with+sugar

Sorry, worded that badly. Sugar really, really is the enemy because it is so high in calories, and it is in everything, and we don't notice it in our foods. But low-calorie foods often have high sugar contents, which deliver far more calories than, for example,t he same amount of fat. And a high carb, low fat diet contains loads of sugar - low fat foods are crammed with sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM a good documentary on this phenomenon. around 39 mins he talks about diet foods.

Sugar is a carb and has 4 calories per gram.
    Fat has 9 calories per gram.

Also, if you know the amount of sugar (thanks to a food label) you can also see the amount of calories. THAT'S the number that will affect weight gain (aside from a medical condition). Body composition is a slightly different story.

That being said, just because something is low-fat, doesn't mean it's better. Check the calories.

if sugar makes you crave and eat MORE than your TDEE, then that's a matter of self control, not the sugar itself.

If I don't get enough carbs before I lift, I can't lift as much and that makes me a sad panda. :sad:
  • pricy5267
    Options
    Good comments - Read that article as well. Log onto utube and watch the lecture about Fructose - "Sugar the bitter truth" by Dr Lustig . I was horrified about the facts he spoke about and more so about the way the food industry has known about it for 30 years.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Good comments - Read that article as well. Log onto utube and watch the lecture about Fructose - "Sugar the bitter truth" by Dr Lustig . I was horrified about the facts he spoke about and more so about the way the food industry has known about it for 30 years.
    Again, read Alan Aragon's response to Lustig, or even watch the youtube video of it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You never hear advice that it is okay to smoke in moderation because it causes cancer, but you continually hear on these boards that refined sugar is okay in moderation despite the fact that it causes diabetes.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause obesity, people cause obesity, by eating to much and not moving!!!!

The evil sugar, :laugh: (in a evil voice), I think I will go have some ice cream, may even have an extra scoop!!! :bigsmile:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You never hear advice that it is okay to smoke in moderation because it causes cancer, but you continually hear on these boards that refined sugar is okay in moderation despite the fact that it causes diabetes.

:laugh:
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Except the fact that even the American Diabetes Association says too much sugar causing diabetes is a myth. There is no link between any one food that contributes to diabetes.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Except the fact that even the American Diabetes Association says too much sugar causing diabetes is a myth. There is no link between any one food that contributes to diabetes.

I don't think you are correct. According to the ADA, on their web page diabetes.org, they do state sugar is associated to diabetes type 2. Here's a quote from ADA:

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!
  • OatFloats
    OatFloats Posts: 119
    Options
    I am pretty sure that I could drop these last 16 pesky pounds if I cut out those 300 calories a day worth of sugary "snacks" that I so often have, even on 1200 kcals a day. Pretty surely, I packed them on by eating maintenance plus the 300 calories. That's nearly 3 lbs a month of pure empty calories. Over 10 months, that's 30 lbs!

It would be a good idea to give up the evil sugar while trying to lose weight quickly but I doubt I could ever give up the cake forever. Plan for maintenance: eat 1200 calories of real food + have a sugary snack = bliss.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

I don't think you are correct. According to the ADA, on their web page diabetes.org, they do state sugar is associated to diabetes type 2. Here's a quote from ADA:

Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories from any source contributes to weight gain. Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes.

The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should limit their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like:

regular soda
    fruit punch
    fruit drinks
    energy drinks
    sports drinks
    sweet tea
    other sugary drinks.
    These will raise blood glucose and can provide several hundred calories in just one serving!

QFT^^

Sugar is associated with diabetes and insulin resistance. The ADA actually gives some of the worst advice to diabetics. They recommend literally hundreds of grams of carbs per day when many diabetics could limit carbs and significantly stabilize blood sugar.

Consumption of sugar causes your body to release insulin. Insulin causes your body to store fat which causes your body to burn sugar. Eventually your body consumes the sugar, but the insulin is still hanging around. You then feel hungry and desire more sugar.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I prefer avoiding added sugars, and with that really I cut allot of processed foods as allot of things have sugar under one name or another. I only avoided the added crap, including the likes of aspartame, not fruit and wholegrains.

It suits me well, I find my hunger levels go down substantially and eating less is way easier compared to when I eat sugary stuff.