Working out barefoot?

Options
Recently I have been doing this more and wondering if anyone else does. Why or why not? Usually when I do it, it's workouts that CAN be done barefoot (i.e. kickboxing) but I have been known to do it while circuit training too. Just wondering what others thoughts were.

Replies

• sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I need to wear shoes because my feet get really sore otherwise. It feels like my arches are tearing (the only way I can think of to describe it). It just really hurts. I can go around the house in socked feet but I would never be able to work out barefoot! Even working in my kitchen I sometimes I have to wear my shoes (which have arch supports).
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I am barefoot for yoga and socks only for lifting.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    If i was at home i would... usually do.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like working out barefoot, and have been doing so lately, but I probably shouldn't. I tend to do my workouts inside, since I do things like Insanity, P90X, and Focus T25. They're all workout videos. I feel less clumsy when I'm barefoot, but at the same time, towards the end of my workout my arches kill me!! I have to pause the video and punch at my arches that feel super tense and cramp-like. I need to find a good pair of sneakers that I don't mind wearing, because my feet really just have been bothering me a lot lately during Focus T25 barefoot.
  • boxpunk
    boxpunk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do. I hate wearing shoes. I never feel like I'm doing a position right while in shoes.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tapout XT is a barefoot mixed martial arts workout. I've done w/ shoes, but to do it barefoot, you need the right kind of shock absorbing floor mats or you will tear up your feet. Also Piloxing is another that is done barefoot.
  • CantonMan1234
    CantonMan1234 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    barefoot for yoga and most home workouts
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I lift in socks- at least for squats and deadlifts (and similar). I feel more stable and balanced.

I've been a member at 3 different commercial gyms since I've started doing it and none of them have ever said anything to me about it- I keep in my own space at the squat rack and put shoes back on if I have to walk anywhere around the gym, like to get water or something.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer, that training barefoot strengthens feet, leg and knees. I wear five fingers at the gym and for running. For my circuit training at home I bought a pair of Nike free, because the jumping is quieter than in five fingers. I live in an appartment and don't want to stress my neighbor too much.

If you don't have problems with your feet or knees after working out barefoot, I'd say go for it.

Might try it barefoot in the near future.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I exercise at home and have a carpet, so I exercise with socks on, never barefoot, thought I would if I could. I find that sneakers and rugs don't mix for cardio
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I go barefoot but with socks all the time, I have tendonitis so any shoe bothers me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I HATE being barefoot, but prefer running/working out as close to barefoot as possible so I use these:

41IBZqLAOYL.jpg

They give me grip and stability while I'm lifting and help me focus and monitor WHERE my feet are when I'm running/bouncing around more, which has always been a big problem for me.

For those of you with issues of pain in the arches from being barefoot for long periods. That's muscle pain and knots, just like anything else. Roll a golf ball under your arches for a few minutes a couple times a day to work on the knots. Your feet will get stronger over time.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I was working out barefoot but just bought a pair of the nike free shoes because I found myself slipping on the carpet. If I wasn't risking injury, I would still be doing it barefoot. I have really high arches and generally need lots of cushioning for things like running, but I had no issues going barefoot for cardio or circuit training DVDs at home, except for the falling on my *kitten* thing.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes when I squat, deadlift, leg press or do lunges. Everything else I do, I wear shoes... plyo, running, cycling, or lifting weights.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Sometimes or I wear socks that have built in support for arches. I have flat feet so it doesn't bother me to work out barefoot, but often I am too lazy to take off my socks before working out. (My boots are off because I hate track in to the house in this snowy weather!)

I always wear shoes at the gym, but those 5 fingered shoes intrigue me. I have 11W feet, so it is hard to find women's shoes that fit me correctly.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    The only thing I would do barefoot is yoga.

I'm not going to walk around in the gym barefoot or in socks. For one it's not exactly safe (hello weight falling on my toe!) and two that's just icky.

I did Insanity barefoot a few times and then I did some of it in my Vibram 5-finger shoes and I screwed up my foot.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I squat in socks, but I put shoes back on for deads just because I often work in sumo pulls and that's a little too close for comfort. Yoga, obviously barefoot.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I like the support I get from sneakers. I can do yoga in sneakers too, unless the teacher complain & then I wear slippers/pilates shoes which have a ribbed bottom.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, I have TINY feet (size 6, and I'm 5'8") and VERY high arches. I always assumed I needed shoes with good cushioning and arch support etc. NOT true. I spent the first 30 years of my life twisting ankles and having to accept that I would be a slow runner because I had no stability on my feet. I *thought* I had really strong calves because I ran alot and did everything I could to try and increase my ankle strength.

I've been wearing the toe shoes for 6 months. I have more security and stability on my feet than ever before and a whole new muscle growing in my calves that I didn't even know was there..... Ok, I did, I teach anantomy, just didn't know it was actually quite underdeveloped.