What's your weakness and how do you resist?

2»

Replies

• Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Cookies, peanut butter, chocolate, muffins, blueberry crumble and cake.

How I deal with these things…..I don’t bring them in the house.
    If they are here in the house (or anything I think I may have a problem staying out of) I have my husband put them somewhere I can’t find them. If I am at my sons I have him take it to his bed room with him when he goes to bed for the night.

I do have one day each week when I allow myself things like that. That day is Friday. Some people call it cheat day I call it treat day. Last Friday I bought a box of frosted sugar cookies from the bakery. I ate several of them. There was over half a box left…..I dumped them in the garbage. I don’t consider it wasting food or money I consider it an investment in my health.

By having that one set day that I can have things like that keeps me on track and I stay with diet better because I know that day will get here and I can have my treat.
    Loretta :flowerforyou:
  • I guess mine is wanting to nibble on leftovers after dinner is done.. you know...the food the kids didn't finish :embarassed:

I don't always win the battle, but it's best if I clear everything right away, throw out the leftovers and pack up the meal. Once it's bagged, boxed or in the fridge, I can resist. Sitting out, it's up for grabs. I guess out of sight out of mind works for me.
  • Cookies, peanut butter, chocolate, muffins, blueberry crumble and cake.

How I deal with these things…..I don’t bring them in the house.
    If they are here in the house (or anything I think I may have a problem staying out of) I have my husband put them somewhere I can’t find them. If I am at my sons I have him take it to his bed room with him when he goes to bed for the night.

I do have one day each week when I allow myself things like that. That day is Friday. Some people call it cheat day I call it treat day. Last Friday I bought a box of frosted sugar cookies from the bakery. I ate several of them. There was over half a box left…..I dumped them in the garbage. I don’t consider it wasting food or money I consider it an investment in my health.

By having that one set day that I can have things like that keeps me on track and I stay with diet better because I know that day will get here and I can have my treat.
    Loretta :flowerforyou:

Ditto

I know it is impossible for me to expect my hun to give up the things he really enjoys. Problem is, i enjoyed them too much myself, and he likes to "treat" me. We talked about it and i told him those foods are my enemy, lol...He could identify with that. He has agreed to take the cupboard that is the most difficult to get into, and make it his. That is where he keeps some of his favs. Other than that, he works 45 mins away, so his car has become somewhat of a rolling convenience store, lol. He loves me and wants to make it easier. Knowing that for me, out of sight is out of mind...this really works well.
    Eventually i will crave things, and want them desperatly enough that nothing will stop me...and that is ok. In my mind i have accepted this, and i think that helps me to not crave. Knowing that nothing is really off limits means nothing is taboo. We all know if someone tells us not to do something, we gotta do it, right?.
    Also, i have found that eating "right" has become easier . When i come home from my work out...never thought i would be doing that:laugh: :glasses: ...i don't want to have things that i know are not good for me. I am so energised and feel like i am on a roll, that i am geared to make better food choices. I love it.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    My favorite thing to do after cooking chicken or a roast in a roasting pan, is to dip bread in the crunchy bits of stuff in the bottom. Now that's a bad habit! :grumble: And I especially love where it is deep brown gravy stuff before you make the gravy. Actual gravy I don't care for that much. Luckily I'm using cooking spray and a grill now for most meals, so whatever I do pick off afterwards won't kill me with the fat content.
    I also have decided to stay away from popcorn, believe it or not, because stopping at 2 cups or so is just ridiculous. I can't possibly do it. I have to eat a big bowl. Same thing with tortilla chips even with just being plain with sea salt, I can't just stop at 15 so I've stopped buying them. Luckily, I love savoury tomato and basil rice cakes and they have so much flavour, I'm usually happy with 2 to 4 of them.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    redalee, have you tried the reduced fat microwave popcorns out there? I love popcorn, too, and used to always add butter to it. Now I am really into the kettle corn kind, and the 94% fat free version is really good. The entire bag is only 230 calories.

I don't even want to get into my weaknesses... there are too many. BUT, I'll share one. I love love love bread. I love it plain, I love it with garlic, I love it with olive oil, whatever! So, I do my best just not to buy it. I don't have it in my house. SOMETIMES I'll buy bread to go with a meal or when I'm having people over, but I cannot resist it and I devour it.
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Um, can my answer be FOOD? Or is that too broad? :laugh:

It depends from day to day. I do know that chocolate is horrible - as long as I don't have ANY, I am fine. As soon as I have one bite, it is like opening a Pandora's box. I will eat ALL the chocolate in sight and then if I am really on a roll after that I will empty out the pantry. So, I rarely keep chocolate in the house. Take last night, for instance. What a fiasco! Those darn Reese's peanut butter cups! I paid the piper and spent 2 hours at the gym this morning, but still!
  • redalee
    Hi Katie:
    I used to eat those until I found out that microwave popcorn isn't that good for you. I have a daughter that is totally vegan (she lives away from home, thank goodness - she drives me crazy with her careful foods lol) and into everything totally healthy and organic. But yeah, I do love those, maybe once in awhile I can have a bag - since I drink wine, eat turkey bacon and once in a blue moon allow myself a white bun. hee hee :bigsmile:
  • katiechakos
    Ya, I've heard it's full of preservatives and unnatural things. It sure is good though! :wink:

I like to drink wine too. I try not to drink at all during the week because when I drink wine I seem to allow my willpower to drop and then I want to eat everything in site. Do you deal with that when it comes to alcohol?
  • time2wrk
    OMG, Katie, I do, but not so much with wine. I seem to be ok with that, maybe because I savor it. I have, however, given up beer because with beer I get a "what the hell" attitude and start munching out. Plus, I hate light beer, I like the amber ales which have a lot more calories!
  • katiechakos
    I don't know what it is, but I will be totally fine and have a beautiful glass of wine and be the happiest little camper, but the second I fill my glass up a 2nd time, I crave CRAP. I'll eat everything in site.

BTW, I'm from the Pacific Northwest and I hear ya on the good beer!!! One lite beer that really isn't too bad is Amstel Lite. It has 97 calories and honestly, it isn't like yellow water... it actually tastes pretty good!
  • redalee
    I have a glass with the fancy line on the top that is exactly 4 oz., so I know that's all I can have with dinner.
    Besides that's another thing, gee, we can't have any fun anymore, the latest reports on how to avoid upping your chance of cancer by a whole bunch is to avoid having a high BMI, drink only moderately, eat no luncheon or nitrate meats, and exercise. Sounds boring, huh? :yawn:
    I would imagine that an extra glass wouldn't kill you off, :bigsmile: just plan for it earlier in the day if it's a Friday by nixing one of your snacks.
  • time2wrk
    Katie, Being IN the Pacific Northwest, I have really had to stay away from the local brew pubs and I LOVE touring the Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville. My husband and I go there and relax every year on our anniversary. However, thanks for the tip on the Amstel Light, maybe this weekend I can give it a try. I will just make sure to have an empty pantry first, ha ha!

Redalee, I guess everything in moderation, eh?:wink:
  • sturge161
    sturge161 Posts: 37 Member
    Any kind of sugary candy. Logging my intake on this site helps curb my eating so does having to workout more to make up for it! LOL!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Katie, Being IN the Pacific Northwest, I have really had to stay away from the local brew pubs and I LOVE touring the Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville. My husband and I go there and relax every year on our anniversary.

time2wrk:

I live five minutes from the Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville! Go to the Columbia Winery and the Chateau St. Michelle Winery right there, too. In the summer, St. Michelle has Big-Name Musicians in concerts outside, with wine, in the sun......I live right on that river that runs past the outside dining at Red Hook.
    Next time you come up I'll come meet you for a beer/wine/whatever! I'd love to meet you!

~Cheryl :drinker:
  • time2wrk
    Cheryl, that would be awesome! When we first moved up here, we took all our friends who came to visit on a winery tour. (The Columbia Winery was better if we had to bring the kids along because they had that grassy area outside where the boys could just RUN!!!) I say, when the Spring thaw comes around that we meet up! I look forward to it! (And, of course, we will work out super hard the morning before we go out for our cocktails!!!!):laugh:
  • Cheryl, that would be awesome! When we first moved up here, we took all our friends who came to visit on a winery tour. (The Columbia Winery was better if we had to bring the kids along because they had that grassy area outside where the boys could just RUN!!!) I say, when the Spring thaw comes around that we meet up! I look forward to it! (And, of course, we will work out super hard the morning before we go out for our cocktails!!!!):laugh:

Hey guys, I can I join ya? I live in the WA area, too. We love going to the winery. Have been to the brewery once! :happy:
  • Just curious to see your answers,

My weaknesses are kit kats and snickers -YUMMY
    And how I resist them? I don't! - no really, I don't buy them - of course, easy solution. BUT Halloween is right around the corner, my kids are going to bring them home soon by the handfuls and I HAVE NO WILL POWER! HELP! =)

Thought this would be a good topic with the holiday's around the corner too

Any thoughts?

I have posted this in another thread, but wanted to share it here as well.
    Recently i have discovered scented candles actually help with my cravings. Scents like vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, apple, melon, chocolate...etc
    I think since smell is so closely associated with taste that i can fool my mind. Although, i also sit there and imagine myself enjoying the food, lol...talk about self manipulation...but hey if it works and doesn't harm anyone...why not try it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Cheryl, that would be awesome! When we first moved up here, we took all our friends who came to visit on a winery tour. (The Columbia Winery was better if we had to bring the kids along because they had that grassy area outside where the boys could just RUN!!!) I say, when the Spring thaw comes around that we meet up! I look forward to it! (And, of course, we will work out super hard the morning before we go out for our cocktails!!!!):laugh:

We are ON! cltime2 wants to come, too. AWESOME! Anyone else in the Western WA area? I'm giving myself a trip to Bimini in May as a motivation/reward for getting back in shape. Anyone else have a "Goal Date" they are shooting for??

Oh, and the brewery and wineries are right ON the 40 mile long bike path (The Burke-Gilman-Sammamish River Trail.) - plenty of room to work off the salami and bread and beer and wine, and fruit and cheese and....ok. I'll stop. Inexpensive or swanky hotels nearby if you drink more than a couple - or you can sleep on my floor! (One bed condo - I'm smart like that :tongue: )

~cm
  • We are ON! cltime2 wants to come, too. AWESOME! Anyone else in the Western WA area? I'm giving myself a trip to Bimini in May as a motivation/reward for getting back in shape. Anyone else have a "Goal Date" they are shooting for??

Oh, and the brewery and wineries are right ON the 40 mile long bike path (The Burke-Gilman-Sammamish River Trail.) - plenty of room to work off the salami and bread and beer and wine, and fruit and cheese and....ok. I'll stop. Inexpensive or swanky hotels nearby if you drink more than a couple - or you can sleep on my floor! (One bed condo - I'm smart like that :tongue: )

~cm

My original goal date is December 6th when my hubby and I are heading to Jamaica! However, I now know that I won't stop there! But I'm good for an excursion or two. And Woodinville is a great place to wonder around!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    My weakness is carbs!! All carbs. I have limited them to the early part of the day. Little to no carbs after 4 pm. I have a hard time sometimes, but. I just get on the computer or just try to do something away from the kitchen. After a month, it has become so much easier. Some times I find myself standing in front of the frige for no reason at all. I keep sugarfree gum on the counter, and I grab that to keep me from snacking. I even heard that brushing your teeth after every meal helps keep the cravings down. Something to do with the taste a the toothpaste. I guess like toothpaste and oj.