Partner or No?

Options
2»

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    My husband and I work out together. I was a lone workout person in the past because where I used to work had a gym and I preferred it. When I had days off and I went to the gym with my husband because we were doing different things I'd work out pretty much by myself there as well. Now we do the same thing and workout together and I really like it. He pushes me to lift heavier and spots me so that I can. He encourages me to get "one more rep!" and to max myself out as much as possible.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, hell no to partners. Training is such a specific thing, they have to have the same goals and values as you.

The only time I've ever worked out with someone, was with my gf. She was there to follow me and learn so it was great.

The thing is, training is so personal for me. I started on my own, so if I have a partner they need to be on my page. I don't want to change the times I go or my routine for someone else. I also don't want to carry someone or be responsible for their goals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    God that was weird- who just assumes they are going to work out with you? that's so weird- plus coming in at 5 AM is a hell of a commitment to just make FOR someone. Nah- I think that was the appropriate response- blunt and to the point is mostly the best way to answer such things.

I mostly hate working out with someone.

I have tried with two or three girls who have requested help.. .and since I was training people I offered to give them some pointers- but it got to the point where it was TOO much work to take so much weight on and off the bar (they were doing 45-95 for basic lifts) it's TOO much work.

I have ONE person I actually lift with- like we rotate- spot- and do a thing together. We aren't fully on the same page- he is an accomplished lifter as well- but we are both on the same page skill wise- and it's fine for 1-2 times a week. Honestly it was nice having someone to talk to about form and technique and work through it.

You can't get that on your own. But it was never good for long term- it was just nice once or twice a week.

Otherwise- no- I don't like it. It's a pain in the *kitten*.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    when I first got serious about working out, I tried so hard to find anyone who would go to the gym with me since that's what magazines like SELF recommend when you are trying to go to the gym for the first time. In the end, none of my friends really were interested, so I went by myself. I'm actually really happy that I did because I might not have learned how to go to the gym by myself or how my individual body works in terms of fitness
  • bitshred
    bitshred Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree, that was weird for him to invite himself, or "assume" you would be partners, and then get pissed when you said no.

I've never had many friends, so I don't know what it's like to workout with a partner. But I am fine working out alone, and just getting it done.