I hate it, I hate it exercise. I hate it!

Options

Replies

• notsoskinny987
    notsoskinny987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great responses, great ideas. I hear what some of you are saying. Maybe I'm going to hard too fast. I'm not the most patient person in the world. But very frustrating when you cut out soo much food in your diet and eat healthier than ever, it's just annoying to not see good results.

I didn't even realise how much I cut out till I came out of my diet hibernation and hung out with friends and just kept saying, wow it haven't had this that xyz....for a while.

I guess, I just want the mind set some people have to working out. Maybe it would make doing it easier and not feel like, oh it's time to die let's go. But to be honest, it's my damn stomach that's the only reason I wanna lose weight. Alllllllllll my weight goes to my stomach. It's unreal, I have a collar bone that sticks out like I'm a size 6 legs skinny and long like I'm a size 8 but my stomach oh lord I swear my stomach is 10stone by itself.

Need to get rid of it that's why I want to workout out but I hate it as you all know lol.
  • curvyin2014
    Options
    All the exercise I do is walking. I get audiobooks from library and walk my dog. it really makes time fly by. I lost 25lbs the first time this way.
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Great responses, great ideas. I hear what some of you are saying. Maybe I'm going to hard too fast. I'm not the most patient person in the world. But very frustrating when you cut out soo much food in your diet and eat healthier than ever, it's just annoying to not see good results.

Best to think of it as a a marathon, not a sprint. Slowly but surely the weight will drop off so long as you eat at a deficit (but, please eat enough to maintain/improve your health...that's what it should be about at the end of the day).
  • notsoskinny987
    Options
    All the exercise I do is walking. I get audiobooks from library and walk my dog. it really makes time fly by. I lost 25lbs the first time this way.

Dude that is what I needed to hear, experience and some results. Ok 7th January 2014 come rain or shine or more rain as weather is just urgh in the UK I'm going to commit to 30mins a day walk and my diet plan.

If I see results I'll let you all know.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I run and I love it. However, it took completely the couch to 5k to get myself up to that 5k. Then I took to upping that by training for a half marathon. I now run about 2-3 half marathons a year and a few 10 milers, 10ks and 5ks. I also incorporate Pilates, spinning and some weights. The point I am trying to get is that it didn't happen overnight. It seems that you expect your body to be in far better shape than it is. When it comes to running, you have to build up the endurance. That can take a while. Look into the Couch to 5k program. That might be something you can get into. Remember, you don't have to start out fast, but go at a pace that feels good and will allow to progress at a nice rate.

Another thing is that if you keep telling yourself how much you hate exercise, you will hate it. Try to go into exercising with a positive attitude and realistic expectations. Sometimes when I have a bad day at running, it can be that I have way too much on my mind and it distracts me or I physically feel like hell. It doesn't stop me from going out there the next day just because I had one bad run. Everyday is a new day with endless possibilities. Take it slow and you will get the results you want.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    That made me laugh.:laugh:

I used to like exercise but too old and unfit now.

Walking is an excellent form of exercise.
    [/quote

What??? You are never too old to exercise, and you can get fit by exercising Just don't go overboard at the beginning but you can start walking, taking pilates or yoga classes, stationary bike, rowing machine, or start a strength training routine. Work with machines at the gym until you feel secure enough to graduate to free weights.

I am old too, and I exercise 5 days a week (Pilates, light cardio, weights and ballet). I may not be doing it at the same intensity of my younger years, but I still rock at it

You can do it.!!!
  • bramlesa
    bramlesa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    People don't like doing things they don't enjoy, that's just human nature.

The key is finding something the you enjoy, or trying new things to keep the interest up. Understand that not everyone is going to be great on the first try, but it gets easier if you're willing to try. Even walking is better than doing nothing, and you never know where it can take you-I started walking dogs at a shelter, and that turned into doing charity 5Ks.

Also, know your strengths and focus upon those: Hell no for me working out at 6 am, but after work I'm all there! Hope you find some motivation :)
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it but I don't love it either. However, I decided that I don't have to love it in order to do it. I do it because I have want to do it for my health. That has been enough to get me to do it 4-7 times per week since August 22, 2011.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Walking and hiking are great forms of exercise.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it but I don't love it either. However, I decided that I don't have to love it in order to do it. I do it because I have want to do it for my health. That has been enough to get me to do it 4-7 times per week since August 22, 2011.

Couldn't agree more with this
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    most of my friends in Sydney are couch potatos..
    when I ask them why dont they want to come for a swim or a cycle with me they usually say: I dont like it...I am not a good swimmer..I cant..

when I tell them "it doesnt matter" they look at me as if I were crazy...
    It seems to me that most people associate exercise with sports and the 2 -in my humble opinion- cannot be further from eachother..

I think of my exercise time as my "playground time" :)
    just like when we were young and were let loose at 10am from home and only went home to use the toilet or to eat :) we were outside active...walking- running- climbing things.just having fun
    I view my gym time as "indoor playground time" :) I have stuff there which are fun (rower, kinesis wall, TRX, the "pokie" etc etc even the treadmill can be fun from time to time) and I have about an hour to forget about the worries of the world and just move my body...that is exercise..

if you find something that you actually enjoy - just do it :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I do 30-60 minutes 5-6 days a week of walking (on an incline treadmill or just outside) or elliptical. Some days I do just one, some days I split the time and do both. I also do 3 days of strength training and am about to add in more strength training on the off days to work on core and thighs. Just find what you like and do it.

Btw, I've lost 100 pounds in the past year with mostly walking. I only really started the strength training and elliptical in Oct/Nov. And none of the exercise I do would be considered "high intensity".
  • notsoskinny987
    Options
    I do 30-60 minutes 5-6 days a week of walking (on an incline treadmill or just outside) or elliptical. Some days I do just one, some days I split the time and do both. I also do 3 days of strength training and am about to add in more strength training on the off days to work on core and thighs. Just find what you like and do it.

Btw, I've lost 100 pounds in the past year with mostly walking. I only really started the strength training and elliptical in Oct/Nov. And none of the exercise I do would be considered "high intensity".

Nice. Thank you for that.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you don't like exercise, winter time can be especially be hard. One of my favorite things to do is take walks/jog in the metroparks in my area. I am sure London has several parks. I don't know how cold it gets in London in the winter, but I am pretty sure it gets very chilly. Taking brisk walks in the park can be very fun and a great way to burn calories. It doesn't burn as many calories as say running or doing spinning, but if you do an hour walk or more, all the calories can add up.

I personally do like to exercise, but with everything in moderation. Too much exercise can be bad, too.

As for the running with your head tightening and your vision blurring; that kind of scares me! I wonder why that happens for you?
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50 lbs from mostly just walking. I started off just taking my dog for walks 2x per day, about 20 minutes each. As the weight started melting off, I upped my pace and my distance. At my fittest, I was walking at the HS track about 5x per week at over 4 MPH. And to answer your question . . . Yes. I grew to LOVE it.

I think you have to stop saying "I can't do this or that because..." And start thinking about what you CAN do. You can eat at a deficit and lose weight, but you won't achieve long term success. You need to make lifestyle changes, which include eating healthier and getting regular consistent exercise.

Good luck!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Exercise can be a drag at time, but after losing 75 pounds over 13 months, I'm now very much in love with exercising.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I need help, I don't understand how some people can go from doing no exercise to exercising all the time and love it.

I hate hate hate exercise. I have tried spinning, took me longer to recover from the extensive pain of my *kitten* hurting and not being able to sit down.

I never learned how to ride a bike, nor can I swim.

I can't run for 2mins without my ears feeling like they about explode, my head tightening up and my vision going blurry.

I can't join a dance group like Zumba etc...as none run on the times I need around my work schedule.

I've tried playing tennis, but no one to play with

I have tried home workouts and youtube and they are just booking and predictable

I know it sounds like I'm moaning, but I would like to know if anyone else has felt the same and found a way to get fit and lose weight, because if all I can do is going walking 30 minutes a day that would be great, but apparently u have to do high intensity cardio to get rid of my freaking tummy that I just can't shift.

If anyone has lost weight by just walking, that would be great, I do things like the London ummm london route thing that Boris has set up so I walk 5miles or more on the weekends and walk everywhere during the week. That's all I can manage to do without feeling like fainting all the time. Oh I'm anaemic by the way so I nearly fainted in a dumbbell class and I had only be there for 10minutes.

Honest question; is there any physical activity that you want to learn?

You don't know how to swim, would you like to learn? Sign up at your local community center and learn to swim. Then you can build on that.

You said you can't run for 2 minutes; if you want to learn to run start with a Couch to 5K program and work at it. It will be hard at first but you will find you will progress. And personally speaking I have been over 260 lbs and completed a 5k. Fat girls can run.

Can't dance; does this mean that you want to? Look into places that teach dance that you are into. You're 24 do you go to college? Most schools have dance classes and often weekend dance meetups. (my sister dragged me to a Tango Milonga at her college once)

I think the key is finding something you like and doing it. Keep it challenging and don't get complacent.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise like you are describing. Now I work out 6 days per week, lifting and running. Part of it is just pushing through the part that sucks. For lifting it's the first two weeks where you have DOMS so bad you can barely move. For running it's the first month or so when it feels like your lungs are collapsing and your throat is closing up. Part of it is finding the right exercise. The first time I deadlifted I felt like a super hero. I've been weak and in pain my whole life, so once I started to feel strong and have less pain, I loved the exercise that brought those results. Part of it is doing it even when you don't want to, because you want the benefits that come with it.
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think my name and my ticker say it all. The key for me was really great music to walk to. After a while it was addictive because having two kids, husband and a house full of pets I never get a moments peace. Walking was my moment. Also, I really did alot of my weight loss through diet, especially the last 35lbs! I am super competitive, so when I walked at the track I would try to lap people or try to keep up with a fast walker. If on my tread climber I would challenge my self to amount of calories burned in my allotted time I had available to walk. If you don't make it fun you will hate it and won't do it. Now I am starting to weight lift and isometric toning and I really like both, but I have to have the great motivating tunes... if only to drown out the craziness of my home!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Walking is enough for now. :flowerforyou: