I hate it, I hate it exercise. I hate it!

Options

Replies

• notsoskinny987
    notsoskinny987 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think my name and my ticker say it all. The key for me was really great music to walk to. After a while it was addictive because having two kids, husband and a house full of pets I never get a moments peace. Walking was my moment. Also, I really did alot of my weight loss through diet, especially the last 35lbs! I am super competitive, so when I walked at the track I would try to lap people or try to keep up with a fast walker. If on my tread climber I would challenge my self to amount of calories burned in my allotted time I had available to walk. If you don't make it fun you will hate it and won't do it. Now I am starting to weight lift and isometric toning and I really like both, but I have to have the great motivating tunes... if only to drown out the craziness of my home!

Amazing! I appreciate this.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Some really great ideas here! I totally agree about watching a tv show/movie while working out, little mini exercises like squats before sitting down,leg lifts while sitting and listening to audio books while walking. Keep something you really like and only let yourself use it when exercising, perhaps a favourite show that you can only watch while exercising no exceptions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Some really great ideas here! I totally agree about watching a tv show/movie while working out, little mini exercises like squats before sitting down,leg lifts while sitting and listening to audio books while walking. Keep something you really like and only let yourself use it when exercising, perhaps a favourite show that you can only watch while exercising no exceptions.
    Absolutely agree about the audiobooks. I listen to one while working out every time.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I know it sounds like I'm moaning, but I would like to know if anyone else has felt the same and found a way to get fit and lose weight, because if all I can do is going walking 30 minutes a day that would be great, but apparently u have to do high intensity cardio to get rid of my freaking tummy that I just can't shift.

That isn't true. While HIIT is great for calorie burn, all you need to lose weight is calorie deficit.

Now, you may find that you're a lot happier with your body fat percentage when you get to goal weight if you do some kind of resistance training to make sure that you're losing mostly fat rather than a combination of fat and muscle while you lose weight.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    A big time problem people have is going too hard, too fast...it isn't enjoyable and they otherwise burn out. Maybe take it down a notch...you don't have to go from zero to 100 and really, that's not advisable anyway.

I personally started with getting my diet in order (that is the most important thing for weight loss) and then just walking for my fitness. I started out walking 3 days per week for about 1/2 hour...then bumped that up to 5 days per week...then I alternated between 30 and 60 minute walks.

As I started to lose weight and got my body used to moving I started doing other things like incorporating running into the mix, etc. I tried to press the issue and be a runner, but ultimately decided I didn't really like it...I did discover that I love to get out on my bike and I love weight lifting and I love going out for hikes on the weekend and I still love my nice walk in the park just to move a little.

If I had started balls to the wall, I can pretty much guarantee you that I wouldn't have kept up with any of this for what has been about 15 - 16 months now.

X2

This is excellent advice.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    It definitely sounds like you do try to do too much too soon.

That was me for many, many years. I would sign up for the gym... or yoga classes, etc. I'd jump right in and either injure myself or get SOO sore that I wouldn't ever go back for the 2nd or 3rd workout.

You say you can't run for even two minutes... can you run for one?

Seriously, the key thing for me was Couch 2 5K... and if you can run for 60 seconds at a time, you can get started with the program.

30 minute workouts 3x a week for 9 weeks and almost anybody can get to the point where you can run for 30 minutes straight.

You won't necessarily be fast, but you will be able to run a lot farther and longer than you thought possible 9 weeks earlier.

9 weeks to get to the point where you can run for 30 minutes is about as quickly as you can see significant health/fitness results as anything else that I've heard of.

Will you love running at the end of those 9 weeks? Maybe, maybe not. I didn't quite love it, but by that point I had set a goal of running a half marathon - to challenge myself. During the training for that HM, I truly did fall in love with running and it has changed everything.

Results don't happen overnight, and when it comes to exercise, love isn't at first sight... but try thing out and go slow.

I hope you can find something that you love to do.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I hated exercise too. So started with walking. A do more now, but it took me a while to get to that point. Don't beat yourself up, OP. Just work on your eating, and do some walking. You might like other things in the future.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree about the audiobooks. I listen to one while working out every time.

Maybe get the game of thrones series on audiobook, that would be an epic background dialogue to your workout. I always find i have extra intensity during battle scenes lol
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I started out with just walking and was successful. Regarding your "freaking tummy", I'm leaving this link here. You don't have to make yourself miserable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses so far. It's that 'I love it' that phrase, how do you get to that point where you love it because all I've ever felt is pain, headaches, passing out a lot, loads of tiredness, people say your more energetic ha! Not for me. I exercise I'll sleep for ages. Lol.

I know my anaemia has quite a bit to play with most of the things I can't do....sometimes I'm like I'm gonna just do this class for a week, then I faint in class and then that results in to me not being able to do much physical activity at all for 2weeks or something before in an get my strength back...which kinda sucks really.

Maybe walking and weights might be a good combo. I'm very confident in my diet I made sure I got that down real good. It's just this damn thing people seem to love which is exercise.

Like I see people running and I can see the pain on their faces and I'm like geeezzzzz is it really worth it?

I started @ almost 500 lbs. Walking is all I did at first. 1 mile took me 1 hr to complete with all the rest breaks I needed to take. Now I run 5K's. Granted, I am slower than IE on 56K dial up connection, but I am still plodding along. I can complete a mile in 11 mins now. It all takes time to get there but believe it is worth it.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I need help, I don't understand how some people can go from doing no exercise to exercising all the time and love it.

I hate hate hate exercise. I have tried spinning, took me longer to recover from the extensive pain of my *kitten* hurting and not being able to sit down.

I never learned how to ride a bike, nor can I swim.

I can't run for 2mins without my ears feeling like they about explode, my head tightening up and my vision going blurry.

I can't join a dance group like Zumba etc...as none run on the times I need around my work schedule.

I've tried playing tennis, but no one to play with

I have tried home workouts and youtube and they are just booking and predictable

I know it sounds like I'm moaning, but I would like to know if anyone else has felt the same and found a way to get fit and lose weight, because if all I can do is going walking 30 minutes a day that would be great, but apparently u have to do high intensity cardio to get rid of my freaking tummy that I just can't shift.

If anyone has lost weight by just walking, that would be great, I do things like the London ummm london route thing that Boris has set up so I walk 5miles or more on the weekends and walk everywhere during the week. That's all I can manage to do without feeling like fainting all the time. Oh I'm anaemic by the way so I nearly fainted in a dumbbell class and I had only be there for 10minutes.

I lost most of my weight without doing any exercise at all. As I started transitioning into maintenance I started walking a mile a day, then two miles. I loved walking, mostly because it gave me a break from my lovely children :laugh: Then I started adding a bit of running-like I'd literally run the distance of three mail boxes and then walk for a minute, run the distance of three mail boxes and then walk again. Got up to running a mile without walking and then I'd walk a mile back.

Then crappy winter MI weather hit so I started doing an at home strength training program 3 days a week/30 minutes a time (Mark Lauren's program, from his book Body By You). LOVE it! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd enjoy doing this type of thing, but it's fun and dang, I'm looking pretty good now :wink: And then I got a rebounder for Christmas (ie a mini trampoline). This thing is ridiculously fun to use and I'm getting a much more intense cardio workout on it, then what I was getting with the walking and running. I'm currently doing this twice a week for 3o minutes a time. I'll pick up walking again when the weather gets nice, but I'll probably stick to the rebounder and skip the running.

I counted calories to lose over 50lbs. I now exercise while in maintenance because it gives me new goals to work towards, and it's also fine tuning the appearance of my body. But, I will never ever do exercise that I don't love doing and I'll keep switching it up as I get bored with something!

eta: my profile pictures are BEFORE I started strength training-my flat stomach was due to losing enough weight, getting my bmi to around a 19 and then at that point I was walking/running around 6-8 miles a week. Now, after doing strength training for a couple months, my stomach still looks the same but it's not as soft anymore and when I bend over I don't get a pooch anymore (courtesy of having three kids).
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My coworker has lost over 60 pounds just by walking an hour each night and watching what she eats. It definitely can be done!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I need help, I don't understand how some people can go from doing no exercise to exercising all the time and love it.

I hate hate hate exercise. I have tried spinning, took me longer to recover from the extensive pain of my *kitten* hurting and not being able to sit down.

I can't run for 2mins without my ears feeling like they about explode, my head tightening up and my vision going blurry.

I can't join a dance group like Zumba etc...as none run on the times I need around my work schedule.

I have tried home workouts and youtube and they are just booking and predictable

If anyone has lost weight by just walking, that would be great, I do things like the London ummm london route thing that Boris has set up so I walk 5miles or more on the weekends and walk everywhere during the week. That's all I can manage to do without feeling like fainting all the time. Oh I'm anaemic by the way so I nearly fainted in a dumbbell class and I had only be there for 10minutes.

I lost most of my weight without doing any exercise at all. As I started transitioning into maintenance I started walking a mile a day, then two miles. I loved walking, mostly because it gave me a break from my lovely children :laugh: Then I started adding a bit of running-like I'd literally run the distance of three mail boxes and then walk for a minute, run the distance of three mail boxes and then walk again. Got up to running a mile without walking and then I'd walk a mile back.

Then crappy winter MI weather hit so I started doing an at home strength training program 3 days a week/30 minutes a time (Mark Lauren's program, from his book Body By You). LOVE it! Never in a million years would I have thought I'd enjoy doing this type of thing, but it's fun and dang, I'm looking pretty good now :wink: And then I got a rebounder for Christmas (ie a mini trampoline). This thing is ridiculously fun to use and I'm getting a much more intense cardio workout on it, then what I was getting with the walking and running. I'm currently doing this twice a week for 3o minutes a time. I'll pick up walking again when the weather gets nice, but I'll probably stick to the rebounder and skip the running.

I counted calories to lose over 50lbs. I now exercise while in maintenance because it gives me new goals to work towards, and it's also fine tuning the appearance of my body. But, I will never ever do exercise that I don't love doing and I'll keep switching it up as I get bored with something!

eta: my profile pictures are BEFORE I started strength training-my flat stomach was due to losing enough weight, getting my bmi to around a 19 and then at that point I was walking/running around 6-8 miles a week. Now, after doing strength training for a couple months, my stomach still looks the same but it's not as soft anymore and when I bend over I don't get a pooch anymore (courtesy of having three kids).
    Love this post!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Maybe you are just looking to justify why you don't want to exercise. That is ok, because for weight loss it is not necessary. However you might want to do a little bit of something to improve your general health and state of fitness; I started to walk; 5 minutes first ( coming of a walker and cane ), then 10, 15 and now I walk 45 minutes a day and sometimes more. The 45 minutes I walk for full speed alone, listening to an audio book. I also walk twice a day with my dog at a slower speed, mostly because she likes to sniff each blade of grass she comes across. Maybe you also need to start slow and take it from there.
    I have lost 45 pounds since April....of course that is due to my diet and not so much because of exercise.
    Also, you don't have to love, love, love exercise, you just have to do it like brushing your teeth, or doing the dishes....make it part of your daily routine, because it's good for you and not because you love it.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am pretty crippled up and many exercises just plain hurt me. I swim and do water aerobics, and in turn it is making it easier for me to do things such as walk without intense pain. I'm also now doing land-mammal Zumba (as opposed to Aqua Zumba) safe in the privacy of my own home. Find what you love, and the rest is easy!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

LOL!!!

Ive been consistently exercising for three months and I still do not like it!

Some like it and some do not.

I'm hoping it turns into a habit and not a chore in the future.

Maybe my new strength training video will help.

lol

But I understand your pain.

Going now to run on treadmill for around an hour. Ugggggg.... But I will put on the biggest loser or something and remind me why I'm doing it! lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

1- You don't have to exercise to lose weight.

2- You will get in better shape by exercising and in the long run feel better. Start slowly and work your way up though.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I exercise a little, but I walk A LOT!! Works for me!! :drinker:
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but depression really affected my enjoyment levels with exercise. When I was pretty depressed all the time, I HATED exercise. I never did get that endorphin rush you're supposed to get, that runner's high, that heightened sense of wellbeing, that extra energy... none of it. It just sucked all the time and was horrible. I always gave up after a month or so because it sucked and I hated it.

Now that my depression is under control, exercise isn't quite so bad. It's amazing what the chemicals in your brain do. When your brain is working right, healthy things of all sorts are more appealing or at least easier to do. Not just exercise but being social, eating good food, sleeping, self care, etc etc. I don't know if you have depression or not, obviously, but I just wanted to share my experience in case it helps you in some way. Feel free to message me (anyone can if interested) to hear what I found most helpful in fighting depression.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are trying to go from hating exercise to loving it over night and that isn't going to happen.

Start small-- start with walking. The feeling you get from working out is contagious so after awhile you want to feel it more, so you go for more intensity.

start small and walk =)

when I first started I couldnt do 15 min on an elliptical without feeling like death, but i worked my way up to an hour and now i don't feel like it gives me a workout, so i run