has anyone had success with the 17 day diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I actually think the 17 Day Diet is a great way to learn healthy eating habits. For those that are unfamiliar with it, it's not actually a fad diet where you lose weight in 17 days. There are 17-day cycles that you constantly repeat. The first includes unlimited lean proteins and cleansing veggies,and restricted amounts of low-sugar fruits, probiotics and friendly fats. During the next 17 days, you introduce natural starches. Once you're on your way to healthy eating and weight loss, there are 2 more cycles that introduce more foods.

*facepalm*
  • ashleybugel
    Options
    My husband and I did this diet about 2 years ago and we each lost about 30lbs. We were inspired to try it by a family member who was successful with it also. The diet really teaches you the core of heathy eating and the weight stayed off for quite some time. Actually, until I became pregnant! Now, we're post baby and back on board. Today is day 3 of cycle 1. It's a rough start after eating so badly for an extended period of time, but looking forward to feeling more energized and dropping these baby lbs!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did this diet about 2 years ago and we each lost about 30lbs. We were inspired to try it by a family member who was successful with it also. The diet really teaches you the core of heathy eating and the weight stayed off for quite some time. Actually, until I became pregnant! Now, we're post baby and back on board. Today is day 3 of cycle 1. It's a rough start after eating so badly for an extended period of time, but looking forward to feeling more energized and dropping these baby lbs!

If at some point in the future you and your husband find yourselves needing to get "back on board" with a weight loss plan, I highly recommend trying a slight deficit from your TDEE. It's worth a try, right?
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    you don't need to do the tredclimber for 1 1/2 a day
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Why even create and use a MFP account if you're just going to use fad diets anyway?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The 17 day diet is just a complicated way to eat healthy, actually.

The problem is, most people find that first 17 days, which is similar to the Atkins induction stage, just way too restrictive.

For keeping it off, maybe look into a similar program that puts more emphasis on the lifestyle changes, rather than the diet. This includes finding a reasonable amount of exercise that you can continue to do after you have reached your goals. For most people, 90 minutes a day just isn't feasible in real life.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    kpott77 wrote: »
    cleansing veggies
    low-sugar fruits
    probiotics
    friendly fats
    natural starches

old thread, but - oh my god
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    With the amount of weight I have to lose, I think I need the 1700 day diet instead. :lol:

But in lieu of that I'm trying out the stop being such a pig, just eat the correct amount of calories for a lifetime diet.

I'll let you know how that works out.