When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old drew a "family portrait" in preschool.....and my picture was a huge round ball while everyone else was long and thin stick like ovals !!!! I didn't realize how kids, even so young, recognize and identify different body types. I'm hoping that by Sept when he goes to kindergarten his family portrait wont drain the markers dry while drawing me!!!
    61206775.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mine was a few things. A few years ago I lost about 20 lbs and was comfortable, not ideal, but ok. Last year was awful. Lost my mom, dad had a stroke (he's recovered just fine), then my 9 year old nephew had a ruptured aneurysm plus a few other things. I put back that 20 lbs between stress and grief.

My mom was only 63. She died from complications of diseases that could have been avoided by diet and exercise. I don't want to be like her in that respect. In my grief I realized that I held some anger too because she KNEW what to do but chose not to do it. I don't want my boys to feel that way.

The kicker though was a photo, isn't it usually?! I was on vacation standing next to my best fried and I looked tired, unhappy and huge. I and my husband deserves a happy healthy me. I've been at it for a month today and I feel so much better already.

Oh, and 50 is really close, I'd like to be fab at 50 not flab!

(I haven't weighed in two weeks so my tracker isn't correct)
  • regansobajepierce
    regansobajepierce Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Learning that I have a heart condition that will shorten my life by a lot if I don't lose weight. And wanting to be here as long as possible for my 5 year old.
  • AnxiousPenman
    AnxiousPenman Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost 70lbs (from 250 to 180), my reasoning was because I wanted to finish the entire 40 miles of the "AVON Breast Cancer Walk". I did it at 250 and was only able to finish about 24 miles. And I remember feeling totally ashamed and emotionally crushed that I wasn't able to finish it.

So, I decided I was going to get fit so I could participate in walk the following year and actually finish it. So, I spent months eating right and working out like a nut ... and then a few months prior to the Walk, I began walking on the trails behind my house, going anywhere from 9-15 miles per day.

Then the next walk happened and I made the entire 40 miles with no problems ... not even a single blister.

Sometimes, I still wonder what I was more proud of ... losing the 70lbs or finishing the walk. Either way, it was a great year.

Fast forward 7 years later, and I'm back at 250lbs. This time the "last straw" was a personal tragedy where I realized there are just certain aspects of our lives that we, fundamentally, have zero control over. And I found that lack of control overwhelmingly depressing.

So, I began really looking at my life, trying to figure out what I *could* control. And my weight was at the top of that list. So, at the end of the day, my weight loss journey this time is about regaining control of my life.
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My last straw was not wanting to go to work because my clothes weren't fitting me anymore . I refused to buy a larger size because it meant jumping from an 18 to a 20. Last week was the last straw, it's getting warmer and I can't hide behind sweaters anymore. So I started searching the Internet for weight loss programs and I found MFP.

Plus having been thin for 40 years then gaining weight only in the last ten, I'm always surprised how you become almost invisible to some people when you are heavier.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    There wasn't a last straw really. I just got sick of myself and my own pity party. I was tired of listening to my own sorry story. I don't think that is true of everyone but it was where I was at personally. There are a few things in my life that I"m not happy with and many of those are just not changeable, or not reasonable to change, and I was pissed at myself for not changing the one thing I could, with 100% certainty, change if I just quit wishing for it and started working for it.

I was fed up with myself and needed something positive to focus on instead of wallowing around in the negative. Not that I'm perfect at it, not by a long stretch, but I'm chugging along. It also helps that the days are getting longer. Everything looks a little brighter when the sun shines on it. :)
  • 3mmmc
    3mmmc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    INSPIRING! Keep chugging!
  • BriTyler3
    BriTyler3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had been 150 all through my high school years, everytime I went to the doctor she couldn't believe that I never gained weight. I believe I started gaining my weight last year this time when me & my ex of 3years broke up.I didn't have a good summer what so ever and I started eating whole containers of Ben &Jerrys ice cream. but I didn't realize I needed to lose weight until I went to the doctor and she told me that I weighed 170, I didn't care though because you really can not tell Im 170 I don't look like it at all!! But when I couldn't fit almost any of my old jeans is where i drew the line and got serious. I also want to have a flat and Toned stomach for once in my life .

Started my journey the beginning of March and not lookin back :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Around this time last year I went out to walk the dog (someone else usually does it) and only 10 seconds in I was huffing and puffing (a big dog who likes to walk faster than my 300+ pound frame could handle). That walk lasted barely 10 minutes and I was spent! I knew then that something needed to be done!
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't invited to join the weight loss challenge that started Jan. 1 at work, because "I lacked self-control".

Game on.
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I could no longer bend over and tie my shoes of all things! The very tight size 24 jeans didn't matter as much as no longer being able to do something so simple as shoe tying, for some reason that did it for me.
  • garoyall
    garoyall Posts: 8
    Options
    About 8 years ago.
  • psitzmary
    psitzmary Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago when I found out I had a Vitamin D sufficiency that was causing the pain in my hips and arms for over a year and making it difficult for me to move without pain. :cry:

As soon as I knew the cause I started taking 1000 iu of Vitamin Day and started this program to help get some of the weight off my bones! Other than this, I am pretty healthy.

Being in pain everyday is not acceptable, if I can help it. :wink:

psitzmary~
  • BectheLion
    BectheLion Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Where to start!!

Not liking pictures of myself because the image didn't match what I thought I looked like.
    My eleven year old doesn't remember me being skinny, even though I was a good 25 pounds lighter just 3 yrs ago!
    I have very few clothes that fit because I hate trying new clothes on. But I had been in denial for so long that I had gained weight.
    Every time I try to lose weight, I'll do great for about 2 wks, lose 4-5 pounds, then gain it back plus some.
    I work at a doctor's office with the balance scales, and I refuse to move the bottom scale up by a 50 lb increment marker.
    Somebody at work wanted to watch me weigh myself, and I was mortified!
    I'll be in my best friend's wedding as a bridesmaid in May, and I don't want bulges captured by professional photos for prosperity. Especially since my best friend is my height but super fit.
    My weight gain has messed with my horomones which has triggered more migraines.
    I've caught myself mindlessly eating even though I know I was full and the food didn't taste good.

I'm ready for change!!!!
  • melinda11587
    melinda11587 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I realized I was an alcoholic and quit drinking...then I thought why stop there...might as well get fit too. Exercising and trying to eat healthy has really give me something to concentrate on and has helped me with my recovery!
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have always been heavy, always wanted to be smaller , always wanted to be a runner.

Then at 32, one day I was a widow. I took 2 years in survival mode. But one thing I swore was that I would not waste was do-over. I would change my life and do things I always wanted to do. No more hiding from life.

I want my legs not to rub together, to shop and ANY store I want, to run the mini marathon, for my weight and fitness not to hold me back from anything.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    There was no last straw. I've wanted to change forever, but I graduated in December and finally I went from having 3 jobs and classes to having 1 job and job hunting. I spent the last 6 years working my *kitten* off to get my degree, now that I'm done it's time to work my *kitten* off to get healthy.
  • BridgetteH27
    Options
    My three youngest step sons keep asking me when will I have their baby sister each time they use my stomach as a pillow or rub it. I'm not pregnant but I have a very big stomach I could pass off as I am. My eldest fourth step son keeps asking if his father and myself will ever have any children, he also wants a sister. It hurts every time they ask or touch my stomach the thought of this because I know my weight is what is holding us back from trying. Also I have put off three years running with my wedding date because I refuse to walk down the isle until I am at my goal weight.
  • astralparticle
    Options
    I have struggled with eating disorders ever since I was 12 (I'm 25 now). I used to be a combination of anorexic and bulimic, reaching 82 lbs at 5'4" about 2 years ago, which landed me in the hospital getting fed via a tube. Not fun. I've put so much time and effort into recovering. Which is wonderful, but now I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum with a full-blown binge-eating disorder. I've hit 153 and none of my clothes fit. I feel out of control and I don't like the way I look. I joined this site tonight to try to encourage myself to eat healthy amounts. I'm terrified of falling back into starvation mode, but I can't keep eating significantly more than I should all the time which will lead to even more weight gain and discontentment. I am quite unsure of how to proceed, but I have to do _something_ before this gets completely out of control.
    Obviously, I haven't made any progress yet. I intend to drink plenty of water, cut down on my use of fats, pay attention to my caloric intake [but not obsessively!], and start doing yoga again.
    If any of you would like to be encouragement buddies feel free to send me a message.
    My ultimate goal is to just be healthy. I definitely would like to lose weight, but I moreso want to be in shape and able to beat my partner in a water gun fight :]
  • lizc0
    lizc0 Posts: 2
    Options
    Realizing that people from my background/area are more susceptible to being overweight made me want to not fall into that statistic/stereotype. Also the fact that everyone in my family is overweight and unhealthy or is on some hardcore drugs. I just wanna be different from them and break free from that sad pattern.
    The last, last straw though, was realizing how I was not happy with the womanly curves of my body. I hated the way clothes were fitting me, and damnit, I refuse to become satisfied with what I am now.