Panera cookie 420 calories. Really?!

Options

Replies

• Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I thought I was being smart and decided to order an appetizer and sides at Bone Fish Grill instead of a whole meal, to save calories, So I ordered the Bang Bang Shrimp, green beans, and another side (can't remember). When I got home and logged it, I realized it was 4 servings!!! I ate 1,500 calories just for the shrimp. It was really, really GOOD tho. lol Won't be ordering that again without sharing it with others.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I love their holiday short-bread cookies with the frosting - they push 'em on you whenever you get a meal, mark down the price and if you have a Panera card, you get them as freebies every now and again. I break 'em in half - leave the remainder in the plastic for another time or give it away. 200 or so calories I can live with but at 400+ I'd rather have a REAL MEAL.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory has a cheesecake that is 1,200 cals/slice ... I almost cried when i saw that.

I almost cried when I saw that, after I had eaten a whole slice of cookie dough cheesecake. Did I have it again? Yes, but only half a slice. :smile:
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Actually, cookies (specifically from Panera, too) were one of the biggest shockers for me as well. I mean, I'm not usually surprised when restaurant foods have crazy high calories, but I don't see how one little cookie can pack in so many calories! It's not just Panera, either - something about the way cookies are prepared must involve a lot of calories, cause I find them to be way "worse" than other desserts like brownies or cake. But that's what MFP is for - you learn what you're putting into your body, and then you can use that knowledge to make a better decision next time (or the same decision if you want - but at least you'll be informed about it!)
    They're not little... That's the problem!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't find that surprising really. If anything that seems average.

IIRC from a CDC campaign the size of fast food servings has increased by over 4 times since the 50s. I believe this in turn had an impact on serving sizes at home - we got used to bigger portion size generally.

Obesity is a result of a consistent excess of calories. In our current environment where highly palatable food is so readily available and cheap it is astonishingly easy to rack up huge amounts of calories in the blink of an eye. I can only see it getting worse...
  • minimalistmom
    Options
    I ordered a cup of white chicken chili and and oriental salad from a local restaurant. I thought I was making the right choices, but found out it was 800+ calories together. They use thickener in the soup (which is probably flour or corn starch base), then when you add in the beans and the chicken chunks, my cup of soup packed almost 200-300 calories. The oriental salad isn't bad, because it's loaded with salad greens, strawberries, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and rice noodles, but it's served in a cinnamon sugar tortilla bowl which sent the calories up.

Lesson learned: Just order the salad without the cinnamon sugar tortilla bowl and no soup.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I thought I was being smart and decided to order an appetizer and sides at Bone Fish Grill instead of a whole meal, to save calories, So I ordered the Bang Bang Shrimp, green beans, and another side (can't remember). When I got home and logged it, I realized it was 4 servings!!! I ate 1,500 calories just for the shrimp. It was really, really GOOD tho. lol Won't be ordering that again without sharing it with others.

I love Bone Fish Grill, yeah - who would look at the Bang Bang shrimp and think that's 4 servings? The thai coconut shrimp is like 100+ calories PER shrimp - the order has 6. You don't get spared much with the entree, the Florida Cobb SALAD is 1000+ if I'm not mistaken and that's before dressing is applied. The fish is low cal but the sides get you.
  • SnugglePuggles
    Options
    I went to Cracker Barrel last night and my husband ordered the apple dumpling dessert. It has two small scoops of ice cream and caramel on it - it's delicious. So I ate a few bites. Got home to log it and found out that dessert has 3250 calories and 155 grams of fat!!!! Good lord... and it tasted so light. It's apples for God sake.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yeah. On one hand it is kind of sad. No amount of "balanced diet" is going to help you overcome 400-900 calorie "snacks." The bad news is that you really just have to cook (or go to artisanal places that charge more).

On the other hand, its also kind of freeing. No *wonder* we're obese--its not just because we have no self control and keep stuffing our faces like hedonists, its because our factory-made food (and restaurant sized portions) are a killer. Its actually kind of comforting to me to know that its not that I can't ever eat desserts. I just can't eat over-sized, factory-produced desserts.

People become obese because they eat at a surplus... my snacks are usually 500 calories and my diet is balanced. I have 3000 calories to work with so I think I can overcome a high calorie snack here and there.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Cold Stone Creamery Milkshakes. :noway:
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Oh! And the chocolate chip cookie dough flautas (possibly spelled wrong) at my favorite tex-mex place are over 3,000 calories.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've found that the butter/oil in cookies makes them stupid high in calories, even if homemade. I haven't found a way to make a low cal cookie, yet, but cakes, or muffins, rather, are much easier.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Nothing from Panera, Starbucks, and places like that surprise me anymore.

Yeah, most of Starbucks' lattes/specialty drinks and cakes ARE really caloric. However, I've found some good alternatives there, too. When eating on the run, I eat their Classic Oatmeal (it comes plain, with nutritionally labeled packets to add your own ingredients to it, or not), spinach feta wraps (tasty and high in protein) and dried (and fresh) fruit, fairly often.

But yeah, I skip the high calorie lattes, cookies, breads, and cakes there. They're not really that good, anyway, except the lattes...I do like/miss the lattes. haha!
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Steak-n-shake really shocked me. Over 1000 calories for a a bowl of chili and over 1000 calories for a shake.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why we need restaurants to label foods with calories - especially chain restaurants. I live in NYC and every time I go to visit family and friends in CT, I get really annoyed that I have to pull out my phone to make decisions. Yes, it may deter customers from spending extra money on pastries, etc., but for most of us, it'll just help us make smart decisions. I always stick to lower-calorie menus if chain restaurants have them. One time at Pizzeria Uno, I got really angry because I thought the dish I always used to eat was only 555 calories; my mom thought this wasn't possible so we checked again and the information kiosk I saw this on said that the dish was 2 servings! Nowhere on the menu does it say this and it is not marketed as a dish to be shared. Note: I see that this is fixed on the website now and they have an "under 500 calorie" section.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Starbucks snowman cookies are so tastey but almost 400 calories :(
  • Commitment2014
    Options
    OMGGG!!! Hilarious! :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    cookie comes out to exactly 420 calories. Hmmmmmm..... the universe is telling us something
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    I had a Grilled Chicken Bacon Wrap from McDonald's today for lunch thinking it would be "ok". I was S-H-O-C-K-E-D :noway: to find out that it has a whopping 400+ calories and 1330 mg (That is THIRTEEN HUNDRED THIRY) mg of sodium! Blehhhhhh....I should have known better. I really should have removed the bacon...and the ranch, and the cheese...I should have had a small salad dammit.
    :ohwell:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a Grilled Chicken Bacon Wrap from McDonald's today for lunch thinking it would be "ok". I was S-H-O-C-K-E-D :noway: to find out that it has a whopping 400+ calories and 1330 mg (That is THIRTEEN HUNDRED THIRY) mg of sodium! Blehhhhhh....I should have known better. I really should have removed the bacon...and the ranch, and the cheese...I should have had a small salad dammit.
    :ohwell:

Meh. It's a lot of protein too. I like their wraps.

Last time I wanted cheesecake, I just made it my whole meal, lol. But I pretty much avoid desserts everywhere now, it's always very scary.