Panera cookie 420 calories. Really?!

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yeah. On one hand it is kind of sad. No amount of "balanced diet" is going to help you overcome 400-900 calorie "snacks." The bad news is that you really just have to cook (or go to artisanal places that charge more).

On the other hand, its also kind of freeing. No *wonder* we're obese--its not just because we have no self control and keep stuffing our faces like hedonists, its because our factory-made food (and restaurant sized portions) are a killer. Its actually kind of comforting to me to know that its not that I can't ever eat desserts. I just can't eat over-sized, factory-produced desserts.

Odd. I have space allocated for a 400 cal 'snack' every day. I can still hit my macros if I try (I don't all that often because it's not super important to me just now, but I can). If you can't manage to fit such a snack in, you must have a TDEE < 1600 cals or need to take more time to plan.

Also, I thought eating everything on your plate even though you can plainly see it's a huge serving is the definition of "having[sic] no self control and stuffing[sic] our faces like hedonists". Otherwise you'd stop at a reasonable portion and take the rest home or just not eat it. Right? Or are you someone who's been taught to always clean your plate?
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was first starting to count calories, I was shocked that a muffin from Dunkin donuts has 150 more calories, than a glazed donut. Neither of them are healthy choices, I realize, but I somehow thought the LOWFAT blueberry muffin might not be so bad.... Yeah, 410 calories. Awesome.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had dinner at Panera today. I was fighting my sweet tooth urge until the cashier notified me that I had a free pastry available on my rewards card and that it was about to expire. I quickly glanced at the treats area and decided the candy cookie had to be the least in calories so I chose that.

Unfortunately I devoured the cookie before I entered it into my food log. I was astonished when I found out that it was 420 calories!! Big lesson learned today-determine the calories on uncertain items before I eat them! Honestly I would have only had half!

What are some foods/treats that shocked you when you found out their nutritional value? Do you still eat them?

Had that cookie last weekend, but I looked it up on my phone before hand and knew the calorie count before I bought it. I split it in half and gave the other part to hubby :smile: All of their cookies/muffins/baked goods are higher in calories-their carrot cake muffin comes in at 650 calories. It's pure awesome and worth every single one :bigsmile:
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yeah. On one hand it is kind of sad. No amount of "balanced diet" is going to help you overcome 400-900 calorie "snacks." The bad news is that you really just have to cook (or go to artisanal places that charge more).

On the other hand, its also kind of freeing. No *wonder* we're obese--its not just because we have no self control and keep stuffing our faces like hedonists, its because our factory-made food (and restaurant sized portions) are a killer. Its actually kind of comforting to me to know that its not that I can't ever eat desserts. I just can't eat over-sized, factory-produced desserts.

I had a 400 calorie candy bar today as an afternoon snack. Shockingly, I didn't regain the over 50lbs I've lost :tongue:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was shocked just this morning when my eye was caught by some red velvet muffins at the grocery store. They were not the HUUUUGE ones that could be split, this seemed almost "normal" sized, and it was 420 calories (coincidentally enough, or is it? :noway: )
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I recently had a bag of chocolate covered peanuts. 11 pieces for 210 calories...I was like ehh I'll have a few...couple handfuls later I realized I had maybe 5 servings...I logged it and it was over 1000 calories! and I didn't even have the whole bag. I used to buy a bag and eat the whole thing. So sad
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    um, you know that cookie is like the size of your face, right?
    exactly.
    recently i had a 1100 calorie Hurricane i was shocked at first, then i remembered that it came in a 32 ounce slurpee style go-cup.

so yep, that sounds about right
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    sounds like one heady cookie!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What about a cookie with the word "candy" in its name sounded low-cal to you?

What, excuse the term, the hell did you expect? :huh:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    McDonalds Chocolate milkshake - I thought it was low fat ice cream so it wouldn't be that bad - now I just have my own whey protein shake. And actually the McDonalds milkshake was way too sweet. But I had been sick and so I splurged. And Taco Bell's taco salad - my absolute favorite taco salad - used to eat about one a day every day back in my 20's - sure can't do that any more. If I do spluge on one its usually my only meal for the day.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Oh! And the chocolate chip cookie dough flautas (possibly spelled wrong) at my favorite tex-mex place are over 3,000 calories.
    No, Mango! It's too sexy!!
    mango-1.jpg
  • colibri23
    colibri23 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake Factory has a cheesecake that is 1,200 cals/slice ... I almost cried when i saw that.

That's insane! I'm glad I don't go there (there isn't one around where I live). I just made cheesecake last week because my boyfriend had been asking me to do so for months. I made it full fat (butter, cream cheese), and sugar---the only "light" thing I used was light sour cream. I logged in the recipe because I knew I wanted some, and it came out to be only 330 calories (16 servings) or 660 calories (8 servings). So much more reasonable, especially considering that the 16 serving size is still pretty substantial!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was first starting to count calories, I was shocked that a muffin from Dunkin donuts has 150 more calories, than a glazed donut. Neither of them are healthy choices, I realize, but I somehow thought the LOWFAT blueberry muffin might not be so bad.... Yeah, 410 calories. Awesome.

I have Jos Louis every once in a while instead of a muffin because they are about half the calories OR a glazed doughnut if I really feel the urge. I love muffins but I just can't justify it. 400 calories and I'm hungry again in half an hour. For the same calories I have my overnight oats and I am good until lunch time ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    None of that kind of stuff surprises me...all that stuff comes in large servings and is pretty much butter or oil, sugar, and flour...calorie dense, calorie dense, calorie dense. In the olden days, stuff like that was a treat...now people just pull into a drive through and consume it at will.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Frankly I'm shocked you're shocked.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Cereal remains the biggest shocker for me. The first time I weighed out one portion and saw how small it was I knew I was going to need some alternatives for breakfast.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Cereal remains the biggest shocker for me. The first time I weighed out one portion and saw how small it was I knew I was going to need some alternatives for breakfast.

This.

1/2 cup to 3/4 cup servings do nothing for me but piss me off. Not to mention I like the good sugary stuff like Captain Crunch, Fruity Pebbles, Coco Pebbles, Lucky Charms etc..and used to eat them in bowls the size of my head.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I get these peanut caramel clusters covered in dark chocolate from this place in town. ONE cluster is 130 calories. One cluster is also the size of a bite size snickers.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    420 maaaaaaaaaaaan....

You're gonna need that big cookie:laugh:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    One Subway cookie is like 230 calories. I thought that was for two cookies. Gark.

Oh yeah and muffins from anywhere. HOLY POOP! Heck I calculated the calories for these homemade ones we make and even after cutting the sugar and fat waaaay down they were still over 200 cals each!