I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Becuase it was like 30 degrees!!!!

Bless your hearts.

It was -58 degrees here in Iowa yesterday.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh, now I'm sure someone from Alaska will rip my *kitten* and do one better. Just amazing the differences in what is tolerated and what is not.

What is this weather doing???!!???

Replies

• jaxass
    jaxass Posts: 2,128 Member
    Options
    Was 20 this morning in Houston, they didn't cancel schools. We're tough as nails down here, but I sure am cold (shhhh).
  • prime853
    prime853 Posts: 519
    Options
    getting up to 115 here in aus
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    They probably do not have heating in the schools lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of the time back in the early 1990s. I live in Connecticut and drove down in December (I think? It was winter, in any case.) to my sister's house in Virginia. There was a light snow with 1/4" - at most - on the ground. Everything in my sister's area was closed down. It was bizarre.
  • tiadotson40
    Options
    not that I know of its actually 41 degrees with the high of 55 today.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say that people who try to drive in freezing weather who have never done it will probably end up killing someone. Better for the kids to be safe. Add a little moisture to that cold and you'll have drivers whom are unexperienced in driving on ice, jamming their brakes and t boning people out there.
    They're ill prepared for something like this.
    When I lived in Northern VA and an minor (3.6) earthquake hit there, people panicked and they closed schools too. Being from California (and back now) a 3.6 earthquake is barely a "massage" to us.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Was 20 this morning in Houston, they didn't cancel schools. We're tough as nails down here, but I sure am cold (shhhh).

I'm from Houston too... *kitten* this damn cold! I thought about quitting my job this morning just so I wouldn't have to get out from under the covers!!! :laugh:
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Being from Florida and having many facebook friends from there also, my newsfeed was jammed packed with people complaining about the weather. My murder tendencies were at an all time high this morning
  • Missou
    Missou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say that people who try to drive in freezing weather who have never done it will probably end up killing someone. Better for the kids to be safe. Add a little moisture to that cold and you'll have drivers whom are unexperienced in driving on ice, jamming their brakes and t boning people out there.
    They're ill prepared for something like this.
    When I lived in Northern VA and an minor (3.6) earthquake hit there, people panicked and they closed schools too. Being from California (and back now) a 3.6 earthquake is barely a "massage" to us.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I laught a lot when I saw the ops message but you are so right. I live near Montreal in Quebec and I am aware of the risks of driving in an area when you are not prepared.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    I live in Tampa and schools were open here but it is really cold for us. Remember, our blood is much thinner than yours which is why we can tolerate the heat better and we don't really have the clothing for cold weather. I bought a coat 22 years ago (!!!) before we moved here from St. Louis and that's still the coat I use when it's super cold!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Bless your hearts.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh, now I'm sure someone from Alaska will rip my *kitten* and do one better. Just amazing the differences in what is tolerated and what is not.

I'm in Florida. No school cancelled here. It's been much colder than 30 in Florida many times and they didn't cancel school.

However, the low is actually 18 today, not 30. At least where I am. It's in the 50s in south Florida.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Bless your hearts.

Well I think this gets the ignorant win of the forum award today.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Bless your hearts.

Well I think this gets the ignorant win of the forum award today.

The day is young... :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    It's been close to -50C (-58F) here for a few weeks now. Today it is -39C (-38.2F). This is a normal winter here for us.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    people who live in warm and/or temperate climates are most often ill prepared to deal with these types of rare events and temperatures. First and foremost, you have people that just aren't experienced in operating in those conditions...namely operating motor vehicles. Then you have issues like adequate heating and insulation, etc. Heck, maybe the pipes are frozen.

I live in Albuquerque and when we get a little bit of the white stuff falling out of the sky, there's suddenly a crash on every corner...to boot, schools usually shut down with as little as a couple of inches due to the fact that we just don't have a lot of snow removal equipment and the state's equipment is usually used more up north where they actually get most of the weather.

We had a cold snap last year (cold for us) where highs were about 15* and lows were right around zero. Schools were closed down for three days with frozen pipes due largely to the fact that public utilities could not supply enough natural gas to the city for heating....numerous homes, including mine were without heat due to insufficient natural gas supply and we were using our emergency space heaters, the old fashioned fire place, and blankets to keep warm.

I do understand that it is far more cold elsewhere, but it doesn't take much in warm weather/temperate climates to shut things down. It simply isn't worth the expense to have to prepare for such rare eventualities..it's just easier to cancel school for a couple days until things are back to normal.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Bless your hearts.

HOw about a little honesty, Iowa? The WIND CHILL in MN and Wisconsin was -40 to -60 yesterday, actual air temps were in the -20s. Iowa is down at the bottom of this polar air mass, so try again. And it was warmer in Alaska yesterday then it was in the contiguous U.S. northern states.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    people who live in warm and/or temperate climates are most often ill prepared to deal with these types of rare events and temperatures.

But they didn't cancel school in Florida today.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We've had a travel warning (emergency vehicles only) for 2 days due to a blizzard that dropped a foot of snow on us, followed by the arctic blast with -40 wind chills. Schools have been closed and we've had no water for 2 days. Thankfully, my parents have a suburban and are going to make a trip into town today to rescue us and let us shower and get a good meal! Ready for the pipes to thaw so we can have hot water again!

This is extremely unusual and when people are not prepared or used to the weather, it makes it that much more extreme. It hasn't been this cold here in over 20 years.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out why the OP is suddenly being ripped a new one over her post. . .

:huh:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

HOw about a little honesty, Iowa? The WIND CHILL in MN and Wisconsin was -40 to -60 yesterday, actual air temps were in the -20s. Iowa is down at the bottom of this polar air mass, so try again. And it was warmer in Alaska yesterday then it was in the contiguous U.S. northern states.

Where in Alaska? I thought this seemed odd, so I just checked out weather.com. It said yesterday's high in Nome was 31, 38 in Juneau. Here in Connecticut it was 54 yesterday.