I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options

Replies

• myrab51
    myrab51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, it was due to black ice, not cold. I am on the west coast of central Florida. It was 22 here, but my daughter is at school right now. We weren't in an area that iced.
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Becuase it was like 30 degrees!!!!

Bless your hearts.

It was -58 degrees here in Iowa yesterday.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh, now I'm sure someone from Alaska will rip my *kitten* and do one better. Just amazing the differences in what is tolerated and what is not.

What is this weather doing???!!???
    HOw about a little honesty, Iowa? The WIND CHILL in MN and Wisconsin was -40 to -60 yesterday, actual air temps were in the -20s. Iowa is down at the bottom of this polar air mass, so try again. And it was warmer in Alaska yesterday then it was in the contiguous U.S. northern states.

Yes I live in MN and woke up to -22 sometimes -24 actual temp, when you went outside your lungs actually felt like they were going to freeze up, but add the wind at -50 something, just crazy, the whole state shut down schools Monday, and I think some cities and counties did too, just freaking crazy and your right Anchorage was in the high 30's yesterday but got freezing rain, I'd rather take the below temps than freezing rain any day.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing in terms of geographical locations and how things differ. I'm in NC and anytime there is a smidgen of precipitation and cold, schools are delayed or cancelled... and we DO have salt trucks. If there's snow... the whole world stops... everyone's closed... where Northern states that get snow all the time keep going until it gets really bad.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options

HOw about a little honesty, Iowa? The WIND CHILL in MN and Wisconsin was -40 to -60 yesterday, actual air temps were in the -20s. Iowa is down at the bottom of this polar air mass, so try again. And it was warmer in Alaska yesterday then it was in the contiguous U.S. northern states.

Where in Alaska? I thought this seemed odd, so I just checked out weather.com. It said yesterday's high in Nome was 31, 38 in Juneau. Here in Connecticut it was 54 yesterday.

Yesterday was ridiculous! I'll take the 50s and raining over what we had this morning any day!
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Becuase it was like 30 degrees!!!!

Bless your hearts.

It was -58 degrees here in Iowa yesterday.

I'm sorry I just had to laugh, now I'm sure someone from Alaska will rip my *kitten* and do one better. Just amazing the differences in what is tolerated and what is not.

What is this weather doing???!!???

Here is Honesty from another Iowa. We are at the bottom of the polar air mass, but our wind chills were also -40 and -60. For the most part, weather in MN and WI is the same as Iowa.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    OK. I found an article. They're worried about black ice, which is a legitimate concern since we don't have salt trucks down here.

Amongst other issues such as proper heating, proper attire, pipes freezing and leaving the children with no running water, etc. It's the equivalent (although impossible) of Iowa experiencing a hurricane - they just aren't prepped for it.
  • myrab51
    myrab51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And MaryJane, they have cute gloves at Target for about $3 a pair. They may be starting to clearance them out though. When I was in there over the weekend, they were putting out the bikinis for spring already.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im in Ga. It was 3* this morning in my little town. It was 19 in Anchorage AK. We are not equiped for this type of weather. Seems like I remember a bunch of Northeners having heat strokes a few years back when their temps got up in the 90's and low 100's. People grow accustom to their environment. It doesn't make us silly, it makes us adaptable.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Where in Alaska? I thought this seemed odd, so I just checked out weather.com. It said yesterday's high in Nome was 31, 38 in Juneau. Here in Connecticut it was 54 yesterday.

Well, if it was 31 in Juneau and 38 in Nome, then it was colder in Minnesota (-20 to -30), Wisconsin (same range) and parts of IL, IA, MI, ND, and OH as well. There is more to the Northern US states than just Connecticut, which is in the Eastern US, btw.

So it should be that it was warmer in Alaska than in some contiguous US northern states. Regardless of east, west, or central, Connecticut and the rest of New England is still northern US, btw.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    They cancelled school in PA- my friend's at home trying to clean house with her kids (I know - LOL-right)
    I think it's was 0 degrees at her house- wind chill of -20.

Neither work nor school was cancelled for us and we are just 2 hrs away. And it's equally cold here.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHA WE ARE AT 9 DEG FEELS LIKE -8 WITH WIND AND IT IS A HEAT WAVE!!!!! I don't have kids but I saw the bus this morning and I am sure they are all in school :laugh:

cool-story-bro-chair-flip.gif
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It is currently 7F in northern NJ, wind chill is -5F. However, this Saturday it will be 55F and rainy. Yesterday it was rainy and foggy because all the snow was melting and evaporating. It was like 40F I think.

I could live with the arctic freeze if it would stay there, this up and down crap is NO good. Makes the cold feel even colder and then it warms up and you are sweating.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    OK. I found an article. They're worried about black ice, which is a legitimate concern since we don't have salt trucks down here.

Amongst other issues such as proper heating, proper attire, pipes freezing and leaving the children with no running water, etc. It's the equivalent (although impossible) of Iowa experiencing a hurricane - they just aren't prepped for it.
    Most places here do have furnaces, though. I mean, it doesn't get and stay cold as much as up north, but in the nine years I've been down here, we've seen winter lows in the teens many times. It snowed in Orlando not that long ago. Not a lot and no real accumulation, but it was cold enough to snow.

I think south of Orlando it's very rare to see temps below 50 (though it happens -- remember why the Challenger blew up and several lanuches got cancelled), but north Florida gets frigid on a regular basis. Usually it's a dry cold, though, so we don't get the ice.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    they had 2 hour delays in Charlotte, Nc this morning because it was in the single digits. While I live in Charlotte, I'm from Central PA so this 2 hour delay deal confused me. I posed it on FB and the main reason, it seems, is that they were uncertain if the buses would start. In the mountains they cancelled schools completely.

I put it out on facebook because the buses never seemed to have a problem starting up when I was a kid. I don't know how legit it is but one of my friends said that the northern buses have some sort of an engine block heater.

Another friend said that the greatest concern is really for the kids standing out at the bus stops or walking to school because most people just aren't properly prepared for cold weather. This isn't just a matter of choosing when purchasing winter gear, but also what's available in stores. My 4 year old has to be layered because not only is a puffy coat impractical down here 363 days a year, they're difficult to find in stores (along with mittens thicker than paper, snow boots . . . what's snow?, and an actually warm hat).
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I feel so sorry for people in this brutal weather. I really do not know how you all are handling it. I've seen the news and it is scary. Good luck to all of you.

We here is San Diego close schools when our weather is too hot. (Triple digits)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It is currently 7F in northern NJ, wind chill is -5F. However, this Saturday it will be 55F and rainy. Yesterday it was rainy and foggy because all the snow was melting and evaporating. It was like 40F I think.

I could live with the arctic freeze if it would stay there, this up and down crap is NO good. Makes the cold feel even colder and then it warms up and you are sweating.

was 60 in Trenton... it's 5* right now.

seriously. FRACKING RIDICULOUS
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    In NC we had a 2 hour delay and it was 15 degrees....they were worried about black ice.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

What?

Temperature has nothing to do with getting a sunburn ...

Sorry I figured the implied sun was obvious (with mentioning sun exposure), but I was wrong.

People in warm places are confused by visitors to their warm weather areas who apply sunscreen when they are out on the beach, and the sun is out but isn't very hot to cause the natives to use sunscreen because their skin is used to it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

What?

Temperature has nothing to do with getting a sunburn ...

Sorry I figured the implied sun was obvious (with mentioning sun exposure), but I was wrong.

People in warm places are confused by visitors to their warm weather areas who apply sunscreen when they are out on the beach, and the sun is out but isn't very hot to cause the natives to use sunscreen because their skin is used to it.
    Um ... my fiance grew up in West Palm and he wears sunscreen at the beach, no matter the temperature. You can get sunburned in 20 degrees if the sun is out (I have).

It isn't the temperature that's the issue. It's the intensity of the sun's rays, which are stronger closer to the equator. But people who live in FL and spend time at the beach -- even the most dedicated sunbathers -- use sunscreen or they are sorry later. I've never heard anyone be surprised about people putting on sunscreen.