It's nothing special..just working out and eating healthy

Options
13»

Replies

• xcbballuver
    Options
    Yeah, I get this one all the time. One coworker who hadn't seen me for a while actually came up and told me how sorry he was that I was sick. He thought I had cancer! Um, no, but thanks. And when people ask me what "program" I'm doing and I tell them nothing - just good old healthy eating and exercise, they look disappointed and quickly lose interest. See, they want to lose weight, too, but don't want to hear that it takes hard work and discipline. It would be sooo much easier if I just told them what they wanted to hear - that I found a miracle pill on some obscure Chinese herbal web site, and I suppose I might be able to part with 30 of them for $100. I could easily fund my retirement selling bogus multi-vitamins this way! And believe me, I've been tempted.

Oh, and the comment that I'm too thin really chaps my *kitten* too. Um, I'm 5'4" and weigh 135 pounds - I AM NOT too thin. In fact, I'm on the high end of normal for my height, but since I do a lot of weight lifting, it doesn't look it. Several of my coworkers have jumped on the lifestyle bandwagon and are doing P90X, C25K, etc. Sometimes, I'll bring in healthy recipes I've gotten off this site for them to sample. Like the brownies from Jillian Michaels' show, for example. I explain how to make the meals better by using healthy substitutions since they're always complaining about having trouble finding stuff to eat that keeps them within their MFP goals. So now they call me the "Food Nazi" and laugh at my lunch. Whatever. You can't out-train a bad diet. Enjoy your meatloaf and potatoes with gravy, buddy.

You can only give people the information - you can't make them use it. Best of luck!
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 5'4" and weigh 128 pounds... Ahaha except I dont have that much muscle so the fat does actually show. Whenevr we have family get togethers they usually tease me about my food choices. They go "Hey want some ice cream?" "no.." "oh yea you're on a diet hahaha!" >< thats why the people on MFP are like my support group
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Jealousy, frustration or genuine concern can be the only reasons so just be happy with your success. I for one am thrilled for you & think you have done an amazing job, just wish mine could be so successful as my weight loss is so very slow despite doing everything right but I will not give in!!!!! I may have a stupid body but it will not win haha!!!!!
    Often think people are jealous of the fact that an individual has the strength of character to take control so you be loud & proud .
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    Thank you for stating the obvious. I get frustrated with people who are doing crazy diets and such. Sure, its taken me 8 months to lose 35lbs and my co-worker who is doing slim-genics lost the same amount in 3 months but I KNOW that I'm going to keep it off - him? Not so sure. You learn as you go and that is the important thing that people don't realize when you do it the "natural" way. You learn to balance and that is so important.

To all us doing it the old fashion way: Keep it up and we'll keep it off!!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Another problem with these people...and this one is really upsetting to me...is commenting on my weight and such in front of my kids as if I am unhealthy. I have suffered from an eating disorder in the past. When I was in high school I would have revelled in the days that I was 800 calories under my needs to maintain my weight. Now...I make sure I exercise before dinner so I know what kind of meal to prepare for myself to make sure that I eat enough to appropriately fuel my body in a healthy way. I am already a vegetarian and have been for 14 years so making a dinner that will consist of 700-1200 calories isn't always easy but I make sure that I am not more than 200 calories under on big exercise days etc. I work hard at this balance of being healthy, eating good nutritious food that oddly include lots of fruits and veggies...GASP.....and I exercise...yes I work out hard but I love it...I love running...I love to work my tail off...it feels awesome!
    I saw a lady today at the store...she is married to the guy that yelled across a party at me that I had eaten 8 pretzels...mentioned him in another post in this thread. They have both called me at different times asking for MFP site info. They have both asked me what are my secrets etc..they have both come to me for advice...but when the woman saw me...with my four kids...she loudly proclaimed ..in Target no less...that I am too skinny and that I need to start eating or I will get sick and be nasty skinny. I now have to have a discussion with my kids about healthy eating and exercise. I now have to reassure my kids that mommy is doing a great job and people are sometimes jealous and say hurtful things because they feel bad that they aren't doing the healthy things for themselves etc etc. I now have to reassure them that if mommy ever was becoming unhealthy that mommy and daddy would be aware and on top of things and that I wouldn't need an acquantaince to tell me so in the Target. BTW...I am only 5 ft...I weigh 115-119 lbs. Yes I am pretty lean right now and it is tank top season. I should be allowed to wear a tank top and be proud that my arms are toned and not get harassed. I am well within the healthy range for my height. I am working hard and it is showing and instead of feeling proud I feel like I should hide it so others don't feel the need to comment on my healthy life style.
    Whew...It almost made me cry today at the store ...thanks for the vent and this thread.
  • mish3131
    mish3131 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people act the same way with me. They have this surprised look on their face when I tell them I am just counting calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!