My boyfriend's parents don't want him dating?

Options

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Helps the work day go by faster.

Yes, agreed.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Second, "over the top" or not, why the **** would I make something up and then ask for advice about it? What joy could I possibly get out of that?

People do things like that so often, there is actually a word for it.

I would say you do it because of boredom. I mean, that's probably the usual reason.

I don't find getting pissed off is a source of entertainment and a cure for boredom. you're just being a ***** in my opinion.
  • Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    do you remember what it is like to be young? i do, my life was full of teenage dramas when i was a teenager. that's what happens. i'm 40, but i remember. don't pick on her because she is young and living what sounds to me like a normal teenage life.

I do remember. There is nothing I would call "normal" about the things she posts. They are all seriously over-the-top and invite drama from the board.

She can post what she wants. She always does. And always to the same effect. Yet she continues doing so, which tells me she enjoys the aftermath.

Also, I am currently the mother of a 19-year-old girl.

i have to concede that i haven't seen the other posts, and you may well be 100% right, but my response to that would be to suggest not to respond to it, or to read it if it bothers you. i can't sit by and see an adult rounding on a teenage girl though, not without saying something. i am not the mother of anybody, so i'm not in a position to understand that perspective.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Second, "over the top" or not, why the **** would I make something up and then ask for advice about it? What joy could I possibly get out of that?

People do things like that so often, there is actually a word for it.

I would say you do it because of boredom. I mean, that's probably the usual reason.

I don't find getting pissed off is a source of entertainment and a cure for boredom. you're just being a ***** in my opinion.
    Perhaps I am.

Perhaps I am.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    this is my serious answer. OP, you are 19. you have been dating this guy for three weeks. you are in college. with all of these things in mind, if any relationship you begin is anything other than natural, easy, and all around delightful, you really need to move on. especially with only three weeks into it. I would argue that no relationships should be stressful when just starting out, but again... 19, three weeks, college. there are more fish in the sea. plenty more.

A whole website of fish, in fact!
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus on yourself for a while. This won't end well.

Tony Romo's quote before the Eagles game/? Oops sorry, wrong thread...
  • rml_16
    Options
    do you remember what it is like to be young? i do, my life was full of teenage dramas when i was a teenager. that's what happens. i'm 40, but i remember. don't pick on her because she is young and living what sounds to me like a normal teenage life.

I do remember. There is nothing I would call "normal" about the things she posts. They are all seriously over-the-top and invite drama from the board.

She can post what she wants. She always does. And always to the same effect. Yet she continues doing so, which tells me she enjoys the aftermath.

Also, I am currently the mother of a 19-year-old girl.

i have to concede that i haven't seen the other posts, and you may well be 100% right, but my response to that would be to suggest not to respond to it, or to read it if it bothers you. i can't sit by and see an adult rounding on a teenage girl though, not without saying something. i am not the mother of anybody, so i'm not in a position to understand that perspective.
    It doesn't bother me.

I'm not convinced she's a teenager any more than I'm convinced she's having all these issues.

Anyway. I didn't start out harrassing her. Someone asked why others responded as they did and I simply explained why I thought that was the case. At no point did I actually attack the OP. I didn't even respond to her directly until she directly addressed me.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    this is my serious answer. OP, you are 19. you have been dating this guy for three weeks. you are in college. with all of these things in mind, if any relationship you begin is anything other than natural, easy, and all around delightful, you really need to move on. especially with only three weeks into it. I would argue that no relationships should be stressful when just starting out, but again... 19, three weeks, college. there are more fish in the sea. plenty more.

hmmm, you calling me a fish?
  • KrazyDaizy
    KrazyDaizy Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too, except the "parent" is my hubby. Always rules. Stupid rules.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    There goes 10 minutes I will never get back
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think you should focus on yourself for a while. This won't end well.

Tony Romo's quote before the Eagles game/? Oops sorry, wrong thread...

I hate you so much. :angry: :mad: :grumble:
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I'm not convinced she's a teenager any more than I'm convinced she's having all these issues.
    Lolol you don't think I'm a teenager and I'm making up all this stuff. You, ma'am. Are cute. Indeed. And had you not been such an *kitten* in your explanation, I probably would not have addressed you in the first place. you could have explained in a polite way instead of essentially calling me a liar.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Lolol you don't think I'm a teenager and I'm making up all this stuff. You, ma'am. Are cute. Indeed. And had you not been such an *kitten* in your explanation, I probably would not have addressed you in the first place. you could have explained in a polite way instead of essentially calling me a liar.
    But that IS the explanation, silly.
  • Just_Scott
    Options
    owww...ouch......:sad: :brokenheart:
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I'm not a liar but whatever. Think what you may. Thanks for being so unhelpful.
  • Just_Scott
    Options
    There goes 10 minutes I will never get back

Better entertainment, watching ice crystals form on my.....nose.
  • Just_Scott
    Options

feed the OP, or teach the OP to fish....go fish...
  • Cirsium
    Cirsium Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :( to this
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm not a liar but whatever. Think what you may. Thanks for being so unhelpful.
    But people think you are.

Anyway, I gave you a serious answer back there somewhere. Crazy, overbearing mothers whose sons don't stand up to them only get worse. If this is true, she will make both your lives hell. End it.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    UGH! I DO NOT WANT TO BE THIS MOM!!!

I have a 20 year old and and 18 year old and they need freedom. Freedom to make their own choices and (glup) their own mistakes.

As scary as that is as a mother to turn your precious babies loose it is in their best interest! They need to LIVE. You have to trust that they will be ok and if they fall you are there to pick them up, dust them off and send them back out into the world again.

Best of luck but coming from a place where my husband's mother "hated" me....it probably won't get any better.