Muscles can lift what the tendons can't, learn from me

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
So I've managed to develop tendinitis in both my lower quads and my inner elbows.... and I've had it for about 4 months now. I was doing no isolation, save for curls at moderate weight 3x10 twice a week.

I want other lifters to be aware of this so that they don't end up having to go to physical therapy like I do.

Now he tells me I can do 3x10 squats once a week with about 50% of my body weight, and to lower that if it starts to hurt... which I know it probably will. I'm probably going to be sidelined for 4-5 months more.

START LIGHT AND SLOW. Your tendons need to adapt to heavy weights/work frequency just like your muscles do, and they adapt much slower. Be smart about your programing, and and patient.

****, I didn't even start off quickly or heavy. Probably a volume thing, and I was definitely trying to be careful.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with it in at least two places.

magic 8 ball says if you have been dealing with pain for more than a few weeks- it's tendonosis not tendinitis.

Tendentious is one of the most over diagnosed things in sports injuries.

Bad news- deloading- and slowing down = le suck

Good news- you can bounce back. I went from not being able to take my own shirt off (like crossing your arms and lifting the corners) without severe crippling pain- to completely functional shoulder... now I'm repeating with my elbow- same type of issue. (least I presume- I haven't gone to see anyone because it's pretty much the same issue in a different location)

I used a combination of physical therapy and active release technique- and it REALLY helped- ART- not for the faint of heart though. I had a huge bruise on my back/shoulder from the gratson technique he used on me- it was really painful. But it definitely helped.

Good luck dude- tendon issues BLOW>
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with it in at least two places.

magic 8 ball says if you have been dealing with pain for more than a few weeks- it's tendonosis not tendinitis.

Tendentious is one of the most over diagnosed things in sports injuries.

Bad news- deloading- and slowing down = le suck

Good news- you can bounce back. I went from not being able to take my own shirt off (like crossing your arms and lifting the corners) without severe crippling pain- to completely functional shoulder... now I'm repeating with my elbow- same type of issue. (least I presume- I haven't gone to see anyone because it's pretty much the same issue in a different location)

I used a combination of physical therapy and active release technique- and it REALLY helped- ART- not for the faint of heart though. I had a huge bruise on my back/shoulder from the gratson technique he used on me- it was really painful. But it definitely helped.

Good luck dude- tendon issues BLOW>
    Welcome to my life. Connective tissue issues blow. I try to get strong so my muscles can hold together what the tendons and ligaments can't; I get spasms, trigger points, and lots of myofascial crud. Yes, ART FTW! But also yes, painful. Le sigh. The things we do to get more indestructible!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ART is winning... I own 2 foam rollers and need to find a new therapist. Seriously- that chit is amazaballs.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    ART?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ART?

I had to google that one. Apparently, it's Active Release Therapy.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into what Kelly Starrett is doing on his mobility WOD page.
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, what is ART? I have tendonitis (or osis lol) in my outer elbow. :/
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ART?

I had to google that one. Apparently, it's Active Release Therapy.

I said it in my original post

I gave you what you needed: use your fingers and do some googling people.
  • myprana
    myprana Posts: 66
    Options
    The reminder is appreciated. Sorry you had to be the example. :-(
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Kinda amazed your muscles were able to really out do your tendons like that if you were being careful like you said. At least you didn't fully visit snap city, things could be worse. 4-5 months huh? sounds like its cutting time.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ...and, the stuff you strain when you're young will come back to bite you in the backside when you are no longer young.

I wish I didn't know that.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Kinda amazed your muscles were able to really out do your tendons like that if you were being careful like you said. At least you didn't fully visit snap city, things could be worse. 4-5 months huh? sounds like its cutting time.

Yeah man, absolutely. I work a desk job, and hadn't been particularly active for a while.

I started up on Wendler's 5/3/1, which was probably a mistake, since it has you starting the program, working at 90% of your 1RM when I was relatively untrained. I confused having the strength to do it with being properly conditioned to do it. (granted, this is my take away. I could just have weak tendons... maybe...) Like I said though I tweaked the program a bit to have higher squat volume, and that might have done it too. Really can't be sure.

I say this all the time, but seriously start on something like Stronglifts and start with the bar. You'll feel like a ***** at first, but who cares, you'll be lifting some serious weight in 3 months.

And program your deloads, so you don't have to take it "when you need it", and just stay healthy throughout.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I need MEN to read this also. This isn't bull****. I'm only 27, far from an old man.

Sorry, got no help for you man.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I guess there are benefits to being a total pansy!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    That blows OP, good luck with your recovery
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    That sucks.

Sitting it out and slowly rehabbing an injury is an exercise in patience and mental fortitude - I wish you all the best man.

Just to let you know that if you are patient and sensible, there's always a way back.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Food for thought re: connective tissue health...

Tendons and ligaments experience far less blood flow than muscle tissue during training, and exponentially less during recovery. More frequent loading of connective tissues at least keeps them in a state of higher blood flow more often than a less frequent, higher volume program. So maybe hit the affected joint (or all joints?) more often, with less volume, to help speed your rehab?
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Tendons and ligaments experience far less blood flow than muscle tissue during training, and exponentially less during recovery. More frequent loading of connective tissues at least keeps them in a state of higher blood flow more often than a less frequent, higher volume program. So maybe hit the affected joint (or all joints?) more often, with less volume, to help speed your rehab?

That's some tenuous broscience right there man lol :drinker: But yeah whether it's for this reason or not, he doesn't want me to outright stop squatting. He just advised that I go back to about 50% of bodyweight, once a week, and see if there's any pain.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

That's some tenuous broscience right there man lol :drinker: But yeah whether it's for this reason or not, he doesn't want me to outright stop squatting. He just advised that I go back to about 50% of bodyweight, once a week, and see if there's any pain.

Buh? One reason why it takes connective tissue so much longer to heal than muscle is because of the substantially lower blood flow.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Buh? One reason why it takes connective tissue so much longer to heal than muscle is because of the substantially lower blood flow.

Ya, but he was advocating proactively exercising the joint with more frequency and less volume& weight to promote blood flow. Lol he was just working out an idea, out loud. That said in this case it's my elbows and knees. My knees get a lot of use on a daily basis whether I like it or not.

Of course I'm going with PT's advice of once a week at 50%. Totally doable, just sucks.