StrongLifts 5x5 - Starting Weight?

Another generic post on this topic, undoubtedly, but I want to start lifting.

I'm 5'9" and around 205lbs, I know what exercises to do but I quite frankly have no idea what weight to start on. I know it's largely down to personal strength, though out of interest: what worked best for you?

Replies

• quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    I really enjoyed Stronglifts when I first started lifting and hope you do too! :)

For me, I started off with the empty bar (45 lbs) for everything and then increased by 5 or 10 lb every workout (as the program suggests). If the empty barbell was too light, I still did steady increases instead of adding a lot of weight at once because I wasn't sure how much I could handle yet and I didn't want to break myself lol. If the empty barbell was too heavy, then I moved down to the lighter bars and used those until I worked my way up. Hope this helps!

ETA: Woo this was my 500th post! haha.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Bar weight until you are comfortable with the movement.

If you don't know how to do them, ask a trainer.

Look at youtube videos

or buy Starting Strength.

Then slowly, and progressively add weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    a broom stick to practice form.

then the bar.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muUlkGSEfWs

check out my vid.

what are your goals? strong lifts is a very strength based muscle building program. I have done it. but got very strong but didn't really see any body changes. are you just wanting strength? or body changes?

Voted most likely to try selling you something in this topic.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Absolutely, just start with the minimums:

Bench = 45 lbs (bar)
    Press = 45 lbs (bar)
    Squat = 45 lbs (bar)
    Deadlift = 90 lbs
    Row = 65 lbs

If it's too light for you, try AMRAP on the last set (As Many Reps As Possible), up to say, 10 reps. The point of starting light is to give yourself room to improve (being untrained and working at your maxes will not yield the best results), and also give your body a chance to adapt (not just your muscles, but your tendons and joints too, which adapt much slower).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Another generic post on this topic, undoubtedly, but I want to start lifting.

I'm 5'9" and around 205lbs, I know what exercises to do but I quite frankly have no idea what weight to start on. I know it's largely down to personal strength, though out of interest: what worked best for you?

You're "supposed" to start with the empty bar, according to the program. However, if you've done the lifts before (which it sounds like you haven't), then if you go to stronglifts.com and download the spreadsheet/tracker, you can input your current lifts (weights and reps) and it'll give you customized results.

That said, for you I'd recommend the empty bar.
  • that's not a very fair statement.
    I have also done strong lifts 5x5. curious what her goals are its definetly not for everyone.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    that's not a very fair statement.
    I have also done strong lifts 5x5. curious what her goals are its definetly not for everyone.

You posted a link to a vid that had nothing to do with StrongLifts - but rather a BeachBody product.

And you're a BB "Coach."

C'mon, man.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member

check out my vid.

what are your goals? strong lifts is a very strength based muscle building program. I have done it. but got very strong but didn't really see any body changes. are you just wanting strength? or body changes?

Then you were probably eating too much or doing something else wrong. Stronglifts on a calorie deficit will definitely change one's body.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

check out my vid.

Voted most likely to try selling you something in this topic.

^ Lol

OP: if you are new to lifting you will see dramatic changes to body composition on a strength based routine, especially while in a caloric deficit (which you can't really build much muscle during, if any at all), and you will build a good base of strength which you can later change the type of routine based on your goals, but best to max out results in a proven strength based routine first.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Bench = 45 lbs (bar)
    Press = 45 lbs (bar)
    Squat = 45 lbs (bar)
    Deadlift = 90 lbs
    Row = 65 lbs

If it's too light for you, try AMRAP on the last set (As Many Reps As Possible), up to say, 10 reps. The point of starting light is to give yourself room to improve (being untrained and working at your maxes will not yield the best results), and also give your body a chance to adapt (not just your muscles, but your tendons and joints too, which adapt much slower).

I don't think many women could start at 90 for deads, and 65 for rows.... I think bar for everything for women.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    I myself started with about 50% of what I would normally lift and then adhere to the protocol. You do not want to start too heavy. The start of it all is to perfect form so that when you get to the heavy weight you have form down.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    if you arent familiar with the movements (or hell even if you THINK you are) start with something like a PVC pipe or broom handle to practice the form .

i personally think if you're new that's it better to start as light as possible, that way you won't rush into a stall. if the bar is too heavy for you for some of the lifts then you can also use those body bars if your gym has them. they usually come in 9, 11, 15, 18 and 25s.

past that, your gym might have a shorter oly bar, those are 25 pounds and they can be used to progressively reach 45 pounds.

if you start with the empty bar and it's too light just keep at it and practice on form. once you get to heavier weights where your 5 reps will be challenging you dont want to be having issues with form then
  • FrnkLft
    OP: if you are new to lifting you will see dramatic changes to body composition on a strength based routine, especially while in a caloric deficit (which you can't really build much muscle during, if any at all), and you will build a good base of strength which you can later change the type of routine based on your goals, but best to max out results in a proven strength based routine first.

Seconded. Strength should be your primary focus. The stronger you are, the better you can do everything else.

Just start with the minimums. I swear you will never regret it, and if you follow SL 5x5's progression, things will get heavy as hell in just a few months anyways.
    I don't think many women could start at 90 for deads, and 65 for rows.... I think bar for everything for women.

That's fine too, of course. Just make sure you prop the bar up on something at the bottom of the lift. It's not go to slow down the weight using tension on your tendons. Maybe prop some dumbbels up on their sides so you can rest the bar at the bottom.

You'll see other lifters just dropping the weight all the time. It's not a lack of control, they are trying to preserve their joints. Just look at the way Stronglifts instructs you to do the Pendlay Row and you'll see what I mean. You're supposed to drop them, and the back of your knees will thank me :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Bench = 45 lbs (bar)
    Press = 45 lbs (bar)
    Squat = 45 lbs (bar)
    Deadlift = 90 lbs
    Row = 65 lbs

nope nope nope

the broomstick and bar for everyone who is starting.

I see guys who can't properly do these things starting out "light" weights when they should be on the bar.

Ego must get checked at the door: FOR EVERYONE.
  • FrnkLft
    check-your-ego.jpg

Yep
  • hard to say. I didn't see huge body changes with strength because strength also starts in joints and tendons first. also if your on a cal def by a lot you will probably lose strength and muscle on something like strong lifts. great program if you want strength.
    keep in mind most power lifters don't look like body builders for that reason.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

That's fine too, of course. Just make sure you prop the bar up on something at the bottom of the lift. It's not go to slow down the weight using tension on your tendons. Maybe prop some dumbbels up on their sides so you can rest the bar at the bottom.

I used to use one of those old Rebok steps in the middle of the barbell.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    There are few reasons not to start conservatively and none of them really apply to beginners. I think Mehdi suggests that everyone should start with the bar.

If you can already deadlift 400 pounds for 5 reps though I think you can probably start a little higher (:p).