StrongLifts 5x5 - Starting Weight?

Options

Replies

• coachpryor
    Options
    doesn't mean much. just sharing my journey. they get a bad rep cause there a lot of bad ones.

also I have strong lift experience, so just helping out
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    hard to say. I didn't see huge body changes with strength because strength also starts in joints and tendons first. also if your on a cal def by a lot you will probably lose strength and muscle on something like strong lifts. great program if you want strength.
    keep in mind most power lifters don't look like body builders for that reason.

But in a deficit a body builder workout wouldn't build much muscle either, but you will be stronger at the end if you did a strength program, giving you a better platform to start from if you want to bulk after, or continue with strength.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    hard to say. I didn't see huge body changes with strength because strength also starts in joints and tendons first. also if your on a cal def by a lot you will probably lose strength and muscle on something like strong lifts. great program if you want strength.

Powerlifters and body builders have different goals, which is why they don't look the same. Apples to oranges.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

This is completely wrong.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I would agree with his statement for experienced lifters. Beginners should see phenomenal strength gains in a deficit, even without building much or any muscle.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options

He has a shake to help with that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I would agree with the statement for experienced lifters, beginners should see phenomenal strength gains, even in a deficit, without building much muscle.

Good point. Therefore, I'd like to amend my previous statement to, "This is 95% wrong - 100% wrong for the OP."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh for fugs sake.

Strength gains are completely different than muscle gains. as someone already said APPLES TO UNICORN POOP.
    okay she said apples to oranges. but whatever.

Haven't we beat that enough to death already?

You cannot gain muscle on a deficit.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar if you want to do SL. That's the program design.
  • coachpryor
    Options

But in a deficit a body builder workout wouldn't build much muscle either, but you will be stronger at the end if you did a strength program, giving you a better platform to start from if you want to bulk after, or continue with strength.

true but most bodybuilders have the muscle and losing that fat is what they do then. worth a shot for sure.
    I also found strong lifts got kinda boring, after awhile I was squatting 350 and wa slike, man do I really wanna squat that today lol
  • coachpryor
    Options

can you explain why? ive never gained strength starving my self. I did strong lifts for about 6 months and was on about 4000 cals aday to maintain what I was trying to micro load each workout
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7". My highest weight was 240 and I started losing weight slowly and easily last January. Last July my husband got me a gym membership and I started Jamie Eason's livefit program, completed about 7 weeks but it just started taking up too much time in my day to complete so I quit and started just using my favorite weight lifting exercises from that program about 3-5 days a week (I weighed about 180 at that time) and got down to 169. Sadly right after Thanksgiving I lost all motivation and gained weight back :( I'm now at around 175 and starting SL 5x5. Yesterday was my first day, the program said to squat 45, row 45 and bench 45 (I think, the app won't let me go back and look, it sucks) but I squatted 75, rowed 50 and benched 50.
    ETA: Sorry for the book, I just wanted to give you a good idea of my fitness level.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

can you explain why? ive never gained strength starving my self. I did strong lifts for about 6 months and was on about 4000 cals aday to maintain what I was trying to micro load each workout

Oy. You need to do some learning if you desire to be an adequate "coach" on anything fitness/weight loss based. If you were eating 4000 calories for 6 months while doing stronglifts you were not mainatining, you were in full on bulk mode. Not knowing your stats, you would have to be a beast around 6'10" and 300 lbs, exercising 5 days a week (which is not stronglifts) to require 4000 calories to maintain. Also, you seem to lack the understanding of gaining strength in an untrained or novice lifter through neuro-muscular adaptations. In saying this, its not surprising that BeachBody (or any preferably free) cardio/HIIT based program with a calorie deficit worked wonders for you. You bulked up during stronglifts and prior activities, arguably ate way too much, gained extra fat with that muscle and then shed the subsequent flab via beachbody. There is nothing wrong with bulk/cut cycles, I am currently in bulk mode myself, but giving advice when you don't understand the basics is not helpful to those who are asking.
  • coachpryor
    Options

Oy. You need to do some learning if you desire to be an adequate "coach" on anything fitness/weight loss based. If you were eating 4000 calories for 6 months while doing stronglifts you were not mainatining, you were in full on bulk mode. Not knowing your stats, you would have to be a beast around 6'10" and 300 lbs, exercising 5 days a week (which is not stronglifts) to require 4000 calories to maintain. Also, you seem to lack the understanding of gaining strength in an untrained or novice lifter through neuro-muscular adaptations. In saying this, its not surprising that BeachBody (or any preferably free) cardio/HIIT based program with a calorie deficit worked wonders for you. You bulked up during stronglifts and prior activities, arguably ate way too much, gained extra fat with that muscle and then shed the subsequent flab via beachbody. There is nothing wrong with bulk/cut cycles, I am currently in bulk mode myself, but giving advice when you don't understand the basics is not helpful to those who are asking.

my original strong lifts cycle was to bulk correct. I was a very skinny guy then. its been awhile not even sure how long. probably 4 years or something. its also where I did gain most of my weight coming out of a skinny hard gainer phase from 150-180 ish originally. during that entire time period for me. I went with strong lifts as I have literally tried everything for many years.

also I did keep strong lifts slightly modified adding barbell arm work cause I hate how Mehdi has lack of arm development from not training them directly. I added a day of barbell work in arms and added dips and pull ups. although this really doesn't change the "idea" of the compound lifts in the program. as they are heavy sets and barbell style. I also, am a hockey player. and im sure those doing the program may have other hobbies aswell that can change the dynamic. so you can imagine strong lifts, with three games a week and 2 practice ice times for cal requirements.

also, to say I lack knowledge would be incorrect as its all experience, I have been training since I was 15 and now and 30. How long have you? To give you an idea, I have been a tim ferris style trial and error on everything you can think of. I have the hard gainers tales for the skinny guy you can only imagine.

im still confused on how you would gain strength on strong lifts eating low. Theres a reason Mehdi always talks about gomad, and his strong lifts diet is well into the 3000 cals his program is made for my type of start. The little guy. BUt he contradicts himself in saying that its what you need for muscle.

all mehdi will talk about is strength. and how that translates to muscle. He accepts nothing in "bro science" and unless you talk about strength and how this is the best program on the planet he wont hear what you have to say. He is a bit narrow minded that way. however, he doesn't even do his own program any more. because he is to strong as he states, but its more because he wont see any more physical changes doing it as printed. it will plateau as does everything.
    im a little confused at what you are stating other wise. again to each his own, and I am only posting what my personal experience with the program was, and what I was trying to accomplish with it in the early days. I think the original question was will see see amazing physical changes with strong lifts and I think the answer is any new person to the program will see some minor changes, gain a lot of strength over time, but you wont see any body builder or fitness competitor training like this for a model type body.
  • coachpryor
    Options
    also something interesting you should look at the complete other end of the spectrum of strong lifts is something I also did was " the Hollywood physique" for men
    google that up and let me know what you think. This program I did right after strong lifts because again, I saw very little of the body I wanted after strong lifts.

Fitness is diverse and everyone has an opinion. again what you think works may not work and same with me for anyone.

its all trial and error and working through it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    According to Lyle McDonald, the best type of program to preserve muscle while dieting is the types that are used to build strength.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html
  • coachpryor
    Options
    According to Lyle McDonald, the best type of program to preserve muscle while dieting is the types that are used to build strength.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

again fitness is diverse, you will find the exact opposite opinion doing a google search.
    especially from people who are well respected trainers and industry leaders. posting a source is kind of irrelevant because its that persons thoughts. and even further you can find studies that show two different results aswell. reasoning? people. we are all different
  • mantium999
    Options

my original strong lifts cycle was to bulk correct. I was a very skinny guy then. its been awhile not even sure how long. probably 4 years or something. its also where I did gain most of my weight coming out of a skinny hard gainer phase from 150-180 ish originally. during that entire time period for me. I went with strong lifts as I have literally tried everything for many years.

also I did keep strong lifts slightly modified adding barbell arm work cause I hate how Mehdi has lack of arm development from not training them directly. I added a day of barbell work in arms and added dips and pull ups. although this really doesn't change the "idea" of the compound lifts in the program. as they are heavy sets and barbell style. I also, am a hockey player. and im sure those doing the program may have other hobbies aswell that can change the dynamic. so you can imagine strong lifts, with three games a week and 2 practice ice times for cal requirements.

also, to say I lack knowledge would be incorrect as its all experience, I have been training since I was 15 and now and 30. How long have you? To give you an idea, I have been a tim ferris style trial and error on everything you can think of. I have the hard gainers tales for the skinny guy you can only imagine.

im still confused on how you would gain strength on strong lifts eating low. Theres a reason Mehdi always talks about gomad, and his strong lifts diet is well into the 3000 cals his program is made for my type of start. The little guy. BUt he contradicts himself in saying that its what you need for muscle.

all mehdi will talk about is strength. and how that translates to muscle. He accepts nothing in "bro science" and unless you talk about strength and how this is the best program on the planet he wont hear what you have to say. He is a bit narrow minded that way. however, he doesn't even do his own program any more. because he is to strong as he states, but its more because he wont see any more physical changes doing it as printed. it will plateau as does everything.
    im a little confused at what you are stating other wise. again to each his own, and I am only posting what my personal experience with the program was, and what I was trying to accomplish with it in the early days. I think the original question was will see see amazing physical changes with strong lifts and I think the answer is any new person to the program will see some minor changes, gain a lot of strength over time, but you wont see any body builder or fitness competitor training like this for a model type body.

I am not questioning your experience, nor your success with your fitness goals. You bulked, then cut. What I am questioning is your understanding of the basic principal of gaining strength, which, with the exception of already trained/strong individuals, can absolutely be done in a caloric deficit. You will not see gains in muscle mass, but the vast majority of people will get physically stronger doing weight training while losing body weight. Now Medhi talks about 3000 plus calories and GOMAD for the purpose of building muscle, not for the purpose of gaining strength (he is not contradicting himself here, he is right by saying it is for the building of muscle). You are again confusing the two. Medhi is a bro, and his program was written to appeal to bros and "the skinny guy" who is trying to put on mass. That does not however negate the fact that the average person, who is not an intermediate lifter or beyond, will achieve improvements in strength through neuro-muscular adaptations (your body learning to use what it already has more efficiently) on his, or any other heavy lifting program. And of course you won't see a body builder doing this. For one, it is a strength program and not designed for aesthetics. Secondly, a body builder is already fit and beyond the scope of being able to gain strength while cutting.

Regarding your comment about the linked Lyle McDonald article, I would be interested in reading the opinion of another respected professional that state there is a better way to PRESERVE MUSCLE while dieting than by strength training. I love information, so please share if you can, as I have never come by one. I took your suggestion and did a google search, every link in the first 2 pages (didn't go past that) advocates some form of weight training to preserve muscle while dieting/cutting.

Lastly, as a lover of information, I will check out the Hollywood Physique.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

again fitness is diverse, you will find the exact opposite opinion doing a google search.
    especially from people who are well respected trainers and industry leaders. posting a source is kind of irrelevant because its that persons thoughts. and even further you can find studies that show two different results aswell. reasoning? people. we are all different

Lyle McDonald is one of the most well-respected experts in the field. Show me someone regarded as highly who says to do more reps with less weight on a deficit.

Strength adaptations are as much neurological as they are related to muscle mass. Strength adaptations are most effectively achieved by higher intensity (% relative to 1RM) lifting, which necessarily involve lower reps. Fewer reps make more sense in a deficit anyway, as energy stores are depleted.

The best way to improve strength is to do higher weight/lower rep. It also happens to be effective for preserving strength, and even LBM, while in a caloric deficit.

Also, Medhi has no fitness credentials of any kind. He's a marketing guy who ripped off SS, packaged it flashier, and made one or two tweaks to make a pile of money off of it.
  • mantium999
    Options
    also something interesting you should look at the complete other end of the spectrum of strong lifts is something I also did was " the Hollywood physique" for men
    google that up and let me know what you think. This program I did right after strong lifts because again, I saw very little of the body I wanted after strong lifts.

Fitness is diverse and everyone has an opinion. again what you think works may not work and same with me for anyone.

its all trial and error and working through it.

Ok, so i googled the Hollywood Physique. Before i waste my time reading 7 pages of advertisement help me get past the blatant violation of credibility he puts front and center. His own pictures claim that in 6 weeks (13 to 19) he lost 2.88% bodyfat while maintaining the exact same weight. When you do the math, this implies he gained 5 lbs of pure lean body mass in 6 weeks. Now if someone else wants to chime in, but based on my knowledge gaining 5 lbs of LBM in 6 weeks seems highly unlikely. This leads me to one of 3 conclusions. 1. His calculations are erroneous. 2. He is flat out lying to sell his product. 3. I am missing something about the basic physiology of how the human body builds and loses mass